Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 13,268 times

Advertisements

My wife & I work for the same company which is opening a new operation in the industrial area of Riverside. We presently live in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood and would prefer the same in Riverside.
Though we would prefer a neighborhood with no gang tags if possiable. We don't mind older neighborhoods / homes and frankly enjoy the louder music & cluture of the hispanic area's.
We are in Grand Rapids, Mich at present, about 150,000 population. We have no children so schools are not an issue. Big yards are not needed, just enough room for dogs.
What are the local taxes, gas prices, auto tag fees, trash, water,cable fees?
Thanx in advance for your input.

Rocky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
I grew up in the Inland Empire and loved it. If you want brown.. Riverside is the place. The hills are brown, the people are brown ( or at least have good tans) even the smog causes the sky to be brown. If you want a great diversity but still like keeping your identity, the I.E. has all you'll ever want. It's in the middle of nowhere but everything is less than an hour away (depending on traffic- the same drive could be three hours).From Riverside- 45mins. to the beach, mountains.L.A., Palm Springs, or an hour 15 min (flight) from arriving at Ontario airport to landing in Vegas. you'll Love it.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:19 PM

Thanx for the response uglyblackjohn! That at least gives us a map spot to start comparing home prices & such. I have family a few hours away north of L.A. & they love it, much more expensive then Mich. but oh well.....NO Blizzards!
Thanx again for the input.
Rocky

Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_E_Bass View Post
What are the local taxes, gas prices, auto tag fees, trash, water,cable fees?
Thanx in advance for your input.

Rocky
well, prop tax is 1% of the purchase price i believe.. auto tag fees depend on the age of the vehicle(the vehicle will needa smog inspection too.. runs like 40$?) but they are reasonable currently. cable fees, i pay 175/mo for internet and near full load of cable tv with timewarner in so cal. gas, 3.65-3.79 or so for regular right now i would say. sales tax is 7.75 in riverside county i believe. 7.75 in OC, 8.25 in LA

Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM

128 posts, read 308,111 times
You definitely do not want to go to an area known as Casa Blanca out here. It is majority hispanic, but full of gangs ang grafiti and such. Downtown Riverside is a great area to soak up some culture, and is surrounded by a lot of places to dine and watch movies, shop, and so on.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:45 PM

My bride and I can not thank you all enough for your input. I was looking at home prices and it seems many homes for sale are by bank repo's. For us a 3 bedroom 1 bath would do, I see some of these in the $135,000 area. Are these "Hood homes"? with very bad neighbors, drive bys, ect?
All in all Riverside seems a bit larger carbon copy of Grand Rapids on a bit bigger scale. We have the same good & bad things here to deal with.
Again any input & random input is greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Rocky

Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 19,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronetoidiocy View Post
You definitely do not want to go to an area known as Casa Blanca out here. It is majority hispanic, but full of gangs ang grafiti and such. Downtown Riverside is a great area to soak up some culture, and is surrounded by a lot of places to dine and watch movies, shop, and so on.
there are alotta hoods that are dangerous in riverside

Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM

7 posts, read 19,975 times
Default ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
I grew up in the Inland Empire and loved it. If you want brown.. Riverside is the place. The hills are brown, the people are brown ( or at least have good tans) even the smog causes the sky to be brown. If you want a great diversity but still like keeping your identity, the I.E. has all you'll ever want. It's in the middle of nowhere but everything is less than an hour away (depending on traffic- the same drive could be three hours).From Riverside- 45mins. to the beach, mountains.L.A., Palm Springs, or an hour 15 min (flight) from arriving at Ontario airport to landing in Vegas. you'll Love it.
naw there are alotta black people too

Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 16,910 times
I grew up there as my father did too. Riverside demographics have changed a ton. It gets a bad rap but it was great where I grew up in the Canyon Crest area. If you want to stay away from gang like areas that would be "the eastside" across the bridge and casablanca. The University area has been changing so it's getting better. Downtown has being going through renovation so it is constantly changing. Rivie has a ton a history and is really a great town. Like someone else said it is not far from anything. Whether it be snow, sun, LA etc. To the people that come out there I hope you keep it the great town I remember and enjoy what it has.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,253 times
Default Riverside is awesome-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_E_Bass View Post
We don't mind older neighborhoods / homes
The University area can be kinda hit and miss, almost on a street by street basis. On the west side of the freeway there are many older homes, and nicer neighborhoods.
The further west you go into the "Woods" streets it gets a bit more pricey, but also nicer.

There's some pretty good Riverside Real estate sites that have plenty of pictures if you want a good feel- like Riverside Real Estate and City Information for Home Buyers and Sellers

You should also check out flickr.com and search for riverside california -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties