Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Georgia to Cali: moving to California, So Cal, great schools, smog pollution, home costs, san Diego info.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times

Advertisements

Check out Temecula and Murrieta, CA. These are two well established newer cities that grew very rapidly in the 90s, but with over 150,000 people, they still have low crime and excellent schools. Many other cities in the Inland Empire are already dealing with higher crime, declining schools, and people who are OC transplants as well as LA transplants that brought their trash with them---Moreno Valley, Perris, Lake Elsinore, Corona, and Riverside just to name a few. Riverside does have over 250,000 people.

Riverside (in my opinion) is still fairly a decent place to raise a family. It has very nice areas, as well as undesirable areas, and what city can say that every area is 100% pristine or desirable to live. It is still a conservative town with many churches or places of worship for all faiths.

Riverside schools are outstanding and some are not so good, it really just depends on your Riverside Zip Code, if you get what I mean. I lived in Riverside for 8 years before moving to Menifee. To be honest, Riverside has every thing your could want, two malls, a university, regional hospitals, and about 60 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. It is a well established town and a very diverse town.

Temecula has become a serious place for shopping and dining. All that that area needs is a regional hospital and a college or university, and I am sure Temecula will be ranked just as high as Irvine, La Jolla, and Carsbad if it isn't already. Many think that Temecula and Murrieta are the jewels of the Inland Empire or southwest Riverside County. I have noticed in the past 5 years, Temecula and Murrieta's demographics are changing. Those areas are becoming more racially diverse which is good for any town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,644 times
The IE isn't as bad as people are stating. The racial cituation? The MLK Blvd. in Riverside isn't in "the hood". The MLK High School isn't gang infested (actually it's in a much nicer area than most of the previous posters live). I'm black, grew up on the "Eastside" (the hood) until I was 8, at which time we moved to Canyon Crest. I've lived in Riverside, Redlands,Grand Terrance,Chino Hills and Lake Arrowhead. I went to college on the North Shore of Oahu. Now I live in a nice area of Beaumont, Texas. I'm not saying that Riverside is the first choice for most people moving to California, all I was doing was making a recommendation of an area that Love Cobb might get the most bang for her buck. I could say Malibu Colony, Holmby Hills or Laguna Niguel but this forum is meant to assist people in their decisions -not reflect the ones we've already made. West Cobb states that ; "all blacks are considered ghetto..." (in the IE). This isn't true. Most of my black friends would be considered more "culturaly white" and are treated with acceptance not just tolerance. Look at the iconoclastic history of Cali. . West Cobb's opinions may be his own but don't reflect that of the IE as a whole. I played water-polo and swam in high school and was called "Tom" more than I was called "N#&&r". All areas have their pluses and minuses but it comes down to you ( and your children) making the most of your situation and opportunities. Check into the IE, it may be a great choice for you.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 AM

162 posts, read 683,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
West Cobb states that ; "all blacks are considered ghetto..." (in the IE). This isn't true. Most of my black friends would be considered more "culturaly white" and are treated with acceptance not just tolerance. Look at the iconoclastic history of Cali. . West Cobb's opinions may be his own but don't reflect that of the IE as a whole. I played water-polo and swam in high school and was called "Tom" more than I was called "N#&&r". All areas have their pluses and minuses but it comes down to you ( and your children) making the most of your situation and opportunities. Check into the IE, it may be a great choice for you.
As you can see from my last post my children are not the at all the "typical" stereotype portrayed in the media of the african american youth. I felt that Cali would broaden their perspective and exposure. I really felt Cali would offer a more accepting environment. Fortunately for me racism has NOT been a problem since we've been in Georgia. I certainly don't want to move all the way out there and live a segregated life like I did growing up in Chicago (if you know what I mean). I have a good friend in Tustin but I know that area to be pretty pricey that is why I wanted to consider more affordable areas. One more thing since all my children suffer with asthma the poor air quality alone may make moving out there impossible.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
West Cobb states that ; "all blacks are considered ghetto..." (in the IE). This isn't true. Most of my black friends would be considered more "culturaly white" and are treated with acceptance not just tolerance. Look at the iconoclastic history of Cali. . West Cobb's opinions may be his own but don't reflect that of the IE as a whole. I played water-polo and swam in high school and was called "Tom" more than I was called "N#&&r". All areas have their pluses and minuses but it comes down to you ( and your children) making the most of your situation and opportunities. Check into the IE, it may be a great choice for you.
Uglyblackjohn, I was actually counterbalancing something you said in an earlier post about the OP being ready to open her mind and mix with different kinds of people -- suggesting that Georgia is a backwards place where they still burn crosses and California is a mecca of openness. I'm from San Bernardino -- born and raised. I've travelled all throughout the IE .. I know it like the back of my hand. I'm a recent transplant to Marietta, GA (the place where the OP currently lives).

Personally, I think race relations are much better in Marietta than in the IE. Some parts of California are probably a lot better than some parts of Georgia, but if you're not familiar with it, Marietta is not some sleepy Georgia burg where whites sit on porches and chew grass reminicising about the good ole days when Klan rallies would pack a house. It's a major suburb of Atlanta -- filled with people from all over the country. Another thing Marietta (and the greater Atlanta area in general) has, which I just did not see in the IE .. ever.. is a thriving black professional middle class. I'm not saying there aren't a few middle class black families here and there in the IE.. but show me the neighborhood that's 50 percent black or more with homes well above the area's median, filled with professionals. Those are commonplace in metro Atlanta.

The IE may be a good place for the OP .. she'd have to visit to find out, but I think she will be shocked at how different the reality is from her vision. All that glitters in California is not gold, as they say. If you like paying $380,000 for a 20-year old three bedroom stucco ranch with a fourth bedroom built into a converted garage in a hot desert area 2.5 hours from the beach and about 2 hours from L.A. in a neighborhood with a horrible school by Cobb standards and drug problems and gang problems always in the background, the IE could be just your kind of place.

A note on the schools: the "good" schools of the IE are roughly comparable to South Cobb High School. Homes located in areas with a school of this quaility are going cost more so be prepared. The average ones have metal dectectors, bars on the windows, multiple drug users/sellers and gang members and the occasional school shooting/riot. School shootings are so common at the poor ones many of them don't even get reported. If you could transfer McEachern to anywhere in the IE, parents would camp out in front of the school for 48 hours or more to get their children in. If you transfered Pope/Lassiter/Walton or Hillgrove/Harrison/Kennesaw Mountain -- parents who had never been outside of the IE probably wouldn't even believe public schools like this exist.

I agree with what other posters have said -- if you're really set on California look to San Diego or Orange County. However, be prepared to spend $680,000 or more for that 20-year old three bedroom stucco ranch with the converted garage bedroom. Oh yeah, and the neighborhood school will still be terrible unless you are willing to cough up double that amount for the same stucco ranch.

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone... the IE is my home .. always will be. I go back and visit often, but I just can't imagine someone taking on the burden of living there if they don't have to. If you don't have family ties or some other compelling reason to live here, don't do it! You'll regret it. As for other parts of California, yes they are nicer, but for those prices you can find something a lot better in other parts of the country.. with just as much sunshine, ocean and shopping.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:06 AM

I appreciate every ones input on this matter, you have left me with much to consider. In the mean time I will remain Love Cobb and my decision will be in the best interest of my children.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Hi Love Cobb. Are you able to make a trip and check out the areas in person? I too live in Ga., Fayette County, am from Chicago originally, and value a good quality of life for myself and family. I have been toying with the Ca. idea for a bit now, specifically Temecula. I will say that I was very surpirised at the diversity here in Ga.

I used to live in Arizona, that may or may not be an option for you. When I lived in Az., I couldn't wait to leave. But upon reflection, it was a different but interesting experience. You may like it out in the desert!!

Maybe you can take a scouting trip out west this summer and see what you like! Much success to you.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Actually I was suppose to take the kids out there for spring break 2 weeks ago but I had scheduling conflicts at work which prevented that from happening. I have a really good friend out in Tustin and he actually called today and we may try to get out there sometime this summer. I don't think the AZ desert is anywhere I'd want to be. Short of moving back to Chicago which I really don't see happening, I'll stay in GA or given Cali a try. Ga is a great state, I don't have any problems staying here, its that my kids have a glamorized view of Cali and I sort of do as well. Once I visit I will probably have a real reality check, I don't know. I can't wait to see what the area has to offer though!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM

539 posts, read 1,804,644 times
West Cobb-Love Cobb: Southern Cali in general (and the IE in particular) has terrible air, unbearable heat, wild fires, earthquakes, flashfloods, a growing crime problem and illegal imigration problems. On top of all this- it,s hella' expensive. Why would someone in their right mind want to live there. GA may be the Antebellum South- in all of it's charm and splendor- compared to So.Cal. but if she wanted a variety of opinions, she's gotten them here in this forum. As far as a segregated (50% or more Black) neighborhood; no, she won't find that in So.Cal. (oh, maybe Baldwin Hills ,near L.A.). I thought that she wanted a new environment where her children wouldn't feel like pariahs, just because their tastes differed from those of their peers. I didn't mean for you (WC) to infer that I thought that everyone in the South were characters from "Deliverence" I thought that since LC stated her children's differing tastes in music - she would want to live in a less homogeneous (segregated) area. LC, go to Disneyland,Magic Mountain,Sea World (in San Diego), Universal Studios, et.al.. See the beach, the desert and the mountains. After two weeks you'll probably run back to GA. So.Cal. was built on a vision (or dream) and much of what you see on T.V. is just the Chamber of Commerce "Highlight-Version". As I stated earlier, life there (or anywhere) is what you make of it. By sheer population figures- you'll find a demographic for whatever you want. It's why so many people pay a premium for what other people in other areas of the country would consider insanity. (WC- I appreciate you aguing so viserally and didn't mean any disrespect. After she visits So.Cal. she may change her mind and be like the proverbial Dorothy)

Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Very funny, that would mean I'd go back to the segreagation of my hometown Chitown and I can tell you that ain't happening!!! I look forward to my visit to Cali and if I hit the lotto I'll move to Baldwin Hills LOL.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
LOL, Love Cobb, I understand!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties