Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 18,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
So, I just drove through downtown San Bernardino today, and it's not so insanely terrible as I thought. The intersection of Waterman Ave. and Base Line St. is reported, historically, the most-dangerous neighborhood in San Bernardino with all the public housing nearby. Lots of homeless people sleeping outside, but they mind their own business well without getting into trouble. The westside section from 215 freeway, where Mt. Vernon Ave. centers, is majority Hispanic and much safer than Waterman Ave. just slightly below Rialto's (surprisingly) low crime rate.

Now that the old public housings are already demolished, and new ones already built, pending, or going to be completed, what's next? Is downtown San Bernardino ready to be a tourist, art-life city in near future? This is a great time to jump into their insanely low housing prices (a little over $200,000) for easy potential to $500,000 after about 20 years.

New home builders, urgently, need to come in around south San Bernardino downtown area, and build some new townhomes there at affordable prices with lots of empty lots around, which is always the first step to revitalize downtown area. Similar to Compton's path... Why are they not here yet?

What do you think? Any future or hope in new tourist city of downtown San Bernardino? If you're a new mayor today who is highly-intelligent, what work must be done there to help the poverty people?

I would also love to hire DR Horton Express immediately there, and I actually found a perfect land for them to build on Waterman Ave. and 5th St. interchange next to a elementary school. I can imagine new townhomes build there starting at mid-$200,000s, a huge breathe of fresh air of new affordability and best investment return rate.
How about the earthquake risk? I guess the risk is higher than Riverside and the CEA insurance premium is not cheap. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stautxie View Post
How about the earthquake risk? I guess the risk is higher than Riverside and the CEA insurance premium is not cheap. Any thoughts?
Well, San Bernardino is not even close at the worst Earthquake zone area at all (rank #52). Inglewood, CA (rank #3) is actually the highest-risk in whole southern California, despite millions of people completely forgot or don't notice.

California Earthquake Index City Rank

Old 02-10-2020, 04:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
I have been to San Bernadino many times and stayed on the Northside near CSUSB.

Verdemont and the area around CSUSB is a very nice area.

I would never live in San Bernadino but out of the higher violent crime cities in America, San Bernadino on the surface looks much better than most in the same situation and the northern part of the city is very nice.

Devore Heights is a very nice area right up against the mountains and almost feels rural.

Part of the reason why San Bernadino will never have the gentrfication of Riverside is because Riverside has a large university downtown and very interesting older buildings from when it was making a fortune from the orange crops. San Bernadino's university is several miles north of downtown and it's evident it was never a luxury city in the past like Riverside was in the early 20th century.

I am not from, just went to through the history of it at the library when I was in the area.

San Bernadino has very high crime rates, but it doesn't look bad at all for the most part. Looks like traditional blue-collar town that is a bit outdated. It was surprisingly clean also.

I noticed they have a large victorian housing stock between downtown and CSUSB also close to where the "All American City" 1977 sign is.

San Bernadino seems to and will always lack a tax base and very multi-generational high poverty rates. There is very limited shopping the city. There is Riverside for night life for those who want it. Seems like most of the big box retail is in Colton.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 18,173 times
San Bernardino has Costco, Sams Club, hotels, restaurants etc borderline or if considered North Loma Linda, you couldn’t tell because everything on the other side of the 10 fwy west seems all San Bernardino to me. San Bernardino has a shopping center (Inland center Mall) which has a Macy’s, Forever 21, Bath & Body, Shoe Palace etc. And majority of shops like Walmart, Nordstrom Rack etc is on San Bernardino Ave/Lugonia not too far. SB city has its Ross, TJ Maxx, Aldi, Walmart by the University.

They also have UPS and Amazon fulfillment centers, as well as Stater Brothers warehouse-offices. There’s a lot of run down areas, downtown being one of them but if they continue to build homes elsewhere, running out of areas down the line, I wouldn’t see why wouldn’t they consider development unless the corporations take over buying land to build more warehouses & corporate offices.
Verdemont has a housing development/construction has a website of future home plans being planned:

https://www.gfrhomes.com/projects/verdemont-ranch

May not look like it now, but I believe someday maybe before I get old & die, it might grow or it might not only time will tell, but right now it sits still as waiting for grass to grow.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killingmoon View Post
San Bernardino has Costco, Sams Club, hotels, restaurants etc borderline or if considered North Loma Linda, you couldn’t tell because everything on the other side of the 10 fwy west seems all San Bernardino to me. San Bernardino has a shopping center (Inland center Mall) which has a Macy’s, Forever 21, Bath & Body, Shoe Palace etc. And majority of shops like Walmart, Nordstrom Rack etc is on San Bernardino Ave/Lugonia not too far. SB city has its Ross, TJ Maxx, Aldi, Walmart by the University.

They also have UPS and Amazon fulfillment centers, as well as Stater Brothers warehouse-offices. There’s a lot of run down areas, downtown being one of them but if they continue to build homes elsewhere, running out of areas down the line, I wouldn’t see why wouldn’t they consider development unless the corporations take over buying land to build more warehouses & corporate offices.
Verdemont has a housing development/construction has a website of future home plans being planned:

https://www.gfrhomes.com/projects/verdemont-ranch

May not look like it now, but I believe someday maybe before I get old & die, it might grow or it might not only time will tell, but right now it sits still as waiting for grass to grow.
The first step of successful gentrification is to demolish the old Carousel Mall for redevelopment, and the new open land next to downtown can be brand-new apartments, new townhomes, new restaurants/shops, new office spaces, and maybe new skyscrapers. Yes, people will come and buy quickly, as long as they're brand-new.

https://www.sbsun.com/2021/03/03/san...redevelopment/

I have faith this time that the gentrification in new San Bernardino will be successful, as long as Los Angeles home prices continue to go UP, and on track to reach $1 million median by year 2025.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:51 PM

15 posts, read 18,173 times
waltchan, I totally agree with

Old 04-12-2021, 04:16 PM

50 posts, read 38,964 times
Yeah honestly San Bernardino will be the last city to gentrify the way ya'll imagine like Echo Park in LA or something like that,, a trendy hipster hood. Not SB, it just doesnt add up. Thats almost like the Victorville area being "gentrified"

Old 04-12-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennything View Post
Yeah honestly San Bernardino will be the last city to gentrify the way ya'll imagine like Echo Park in LA or something like that,, a trendy hipster hood. Not SB, it just doesnt add up. Thats almost like the Victorville area being "gentrified"
People said the same thing in 1992 after the Los Angeles riots. Many experts predicted that LA will be like San Bernardino with high unemployment for decades to come. They're wrong... LA recovered by 1999 year after opening Staples Center, first and original building for long-term gentrification.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's what San Bernardino was, decades ago. Berdoo was the "it" city of the IE, not Riverside, at least in the '70s and '80s. Things changed when Berdoo's economy tanked in the '90s and crime began ramping up at previously unseen levels, as it crept eastward past the Mt. Vernon meridian. The Inland Center Mall was routinely packed with people, as was the Carousel Mall. You could drive up and down E Street and find yourself caught up in just about anything. Hopefully the city will make a comeback.
Old post but if anyone can answer... if this is the case why did the UC system choose Riverside over SB for their school? I feel like UC chooses the more prestigious city in a certain region, and they went with Riverside. I feel like Riverside has always been slightly nicer overall when you think about things it's had like the Mission Inn and more put-together downtown. The county overall has been more healthy too. I feel like Riverside will suck in all the gentrification in the IE for those moving inland wanting a more "big city" feel that's well maintained for the most part (esp. compared to SB).

Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Old post but if anyone can answer... if this is the case why did the UC system choose Riverside over SB for their school? I feel like UC chooses the more prestigious city in a certain region, and they went with Riverside. I feel like Riverside has always been slightly nicer overall when you think about things it's had like the Mission Inn and more put-together downtown. The county overall has been more healthy too. I feel like Riverside will suck in all the gentrification in the IE for those moving inland wanting a more "big city" feel that's well maintained for the most part (esp. compared to SB).

Not necessarily. I don't consider Merced "prestigious". It was largely settled by "Okies" fleeing the Dust Bowl. San Luis Obispo is more "presitgious", and it only has a Cal State (Poly) school. Sonoma County is much wealthier than Riverside County and there is no UC school there, either, but they do have a Cal State campus.

The UC Regents office is located in Oakland. You'd think it would be in Sacramento? But no. Yet, there's no actual campus in Oakland.

I think, more than anything, a UC school's location is determined on its propensity for research, which is the mission of most UC campuses. UC Riverside was primarily involved in agricultural research when it was founded, which makes sense given the setting/location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties