Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2021, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,718 times

Advertisements

Gottschalks and Sears have been closed with no announced replacement anchor.

So what are they going to do with this mall? Would they like expand it eastwards and add new department stores like Nordstrom and sitdown restaurants like CPK and some stuff like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 01:54 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,053,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc08 View Post
Gottschalks and Sears have been closed with no announced replacement anchor.

So what are they going to do with this mall? Would they like expand it eastwards and add new department stores like Nordstrom and sitdown restaurants like CPK and some stuff like that?
Nordstrom Rack maybe? But I highly doubt that. They closed Nordstrom at the Galleria at Tyler in Riverside, but opened a rack instead at Riverside Plaza. If there was an exceeding demand for a Nordstroms in Moreno Valley, that one (Galleria at Tyler) would have stayed open.

Something to think about: if Redlands, with its university and upper-middle class demographic + Loma Linda next door, can only support a Nordstrom Rack, what makes anyone think Moreno Valley would get an actual Nordstrom?

Remember that these retailers pay for lots of data on a given area before any decisions are made. Such things as income + level of educational attainment + projected growth + consumer macro and micro trends are all weighed into the decision.

Secondly, in an economy where brick-n-mortar stores are competing with online, it doesn't make sense to open more brick-n-mortars.

Another thing to consider in retail is the amount of absorption in a given market.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:47 PM

207 posts, read 156,558 times
They should create the one necessary thing in pretty much every metro area: a homeless shelter. If you don't want them on the streets, put them in some building. I am guessing that the Sears store is well-spaced enough for this endeavor. This is a project that will actually help people in the end, maybe getting back on their feet.

Another idea is a school. In the area of the Crossroads Mall in OKC, one of the anchor stores turned into a charter high school. This will definitely help disadvantaged kids in the long-run than just another store. There's plenty of department stores already with new shopping centers all across the state and especially neighboring Texas.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Is this mall still open now? I see over on YELP (the site where people write reviews for public establishments), this mall's no longer on there like it used to be, but the Crunch Fitness w/i the mall is & all the reviews for the entire mall is under the Crunch Fitness currently. Hmmm.

I don't go to this mall often, but did probably about 3-5 mos ago, in which they were doing COVID testing in a certain vacant store space. I've never seen a mall that contains a library, movie theatre, bowling alley/arcade center, AND a gym! This was probably a very nice mall back in its day.

They definitely need to remodel it because it's a nice, wide open space as well as the food court area! It could be great again like it probably used to be, although I never went to it back in its heyday because the 1st time I went here was just in March 2018.

I'd love to finally see some different clothing & shoe stores that most other malls don't have, but I don't know what that would be.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
If nothing else they could just demolish the department stores and turn it into a mall park or something. Either that or demolish the whole mall and start over with a new "lifestyle" center (housing + retail). This mall used to rely on people coming from Beaumont/Banning as well as parts of Perris. Beaumont/Banning are getting a lot more retail on their own now so no need to travel and Perris is following.

It's too bad the City of MV doesn't have the shopping centers on the other side of Day Street in its city limits. Those areas are busier and filled with mostly MV residents, but all the tax dollars go to Riverside. I wonder how that happened.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,718 times
How about this, could you imagine if Westfield brought the mall and called it "Westfield Moreno Valley"? Or even could the mall be renovated, which would look futuristic (or super-modern)? (or both)

Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 6,684 times
The site of the mall used to be the Riverside International Raceway. Ken Miles lost his life there in 1966, as depicted in the movie Ford vs Ferrarri.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:22 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
The site of the mall used to be the Riverside International Raceway. Ken Miles lost his life there in 1966, as depicted in the movie Ford vs Ferrarri.

No way...didn't realize Ken Miles died there...that was a good movie. My dad used to race...spun out on that track back in the 1950's. Could barely hear the race cars from UC Riverside back in the 80's when I was there before the mall was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties