Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 05:17 PM

346 posts, read 307,957 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am homeless in a vehicle right now. I just want to know if I can park in Palm Springs and be able to enjoy some of the city. I know it is expensive as hell, but decent amenities, overall good population and trans friendly which is important to me. I feel I at least need to check it out. What are some concerns that some people who live there or around there who know well about it have for someone like me?
I see myself getting into better conversations with people there than in Las Vegas at the very least, but also same if I was to go to Los Angeles as well. And the trans friendliness, less uptight to what bathrooms I want to use is huge with me. If that be the case, I may just hold out, stay in a place like PS until I meet someone with maybe some equity and who knows. next thing I know, I could have a place to live. I picture a miracle like that actually to happen in a place like Palm Springs. Sinatra lived there I know. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 02:51 PM

276 posts, read 575,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Hi, I am homeless in a vehicle right now. I just want to know if I can park in Palm Springs and be able to enjoy some of the city. I know it is expensive as hell, but decent amenities, overall good population and trans friendly which is important to me. I feel I at least need to check it out. What are some concerns that some people who live there or around there who know well about it have for someone like me?
I see myself getting into better conversations with people there than in Las Vegas at the very least, but also same if I was to go to Los Angeles as well. And the trans friendliness, less uptight to what bathrooms I want to use is huge with me. If that be the case, I may just hold out, stay in a place like PS until I meet someone with maybe some equity and who knows. next thing I know, I could have a place to live. I picture a miracle like that actually to happen in a place like Palm Springs. Sinatra lived there I know. What are your thoughts?

Hello, LongLeggedOne. I just read your post and I must say that I am very sorry about you being un-housed at the moment. I used to live in Los Angeles, but recently moved to Coachella Valley, and live near Palm Springs.

If your vehicle is currently your home, I am not sure why you would want to come to Palm Springs this time of year. It is very, very, very, very, very hot here, where everyday is over 100 degrees. Now with that being said, I do understand that often un-housed people can not park just anywhere (i.e. the city or streets of their choice). If you come to California, it would be great if you go to a beach city to live (where it is much cooler). Yet I do occasionally see un-housed people on the streets of Coachella Valley, but I just do not know how they survive outdoors in all of this super hot horrendous heat (that is here most of the year), and also later survive with the super low and cold temperatures of the winter/early spring here.

I know that they have services for un-housed here in Coachella Valley. Yet I would say if you come to Palm Springs right now (while it is summer), if your hygiene and clothes are clean and tidy, you might be able to hangout in one of the indoor malls here, where you can be in the air conditioned climate most of the day (i.e. when the mall open and closes), and probably nobody would bother you. Though it is cooler here at night, but I don’t think it has got below 84 degrees overnight here since this past April or May.

Yet I do remember when I used to live in Los Angeles, there was a Target parking lot where I would see un-housed people living (from time-to-time), but those people kept their cars washed, kept their license tags up to date, moved their car around in the parking lot at least 1 to 3 times daily . . . which gave a casual illusion that they were just taking a long rest break. However these un-housed people did not have a lot of personal belongings in their vehicle (to avoid drawing attention to them and their car), so they were able to easily keep a very low profile and live in the parking lot from 3 to 12 months. At that time, I worked at Target, and often the un-housed people living in the parking lot would come in and use the Target bathrooms to clean/wash up (as soon as the store opened and throughout the day), so they could stay and keep well groomed, where they did not look like they were un-housed . . . so I think that went a long way for them, where people left them alone.

I wish you the best of luck. I only wish I could offer you much more useful and good information. Please be careful out there and please try to stay safe and take good care of yourself. Above everything else, please try to stay cool.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:00 PM

979 posts, read 538,015 times
In general, there's a lot of bad in Las Vegas. Almost any other place will offer more positivity, a greater chance for gaining employment and turning your life around IMO.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:45 PM

661 posts, read 832,116 times
There is a place called Slab City south of Palm Springs about an hour or so, the area is very welcoming of those living in autos etc, it is a whole community now.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:11 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,808,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
There is a place called Slab City south of Palm Springs about an hour or so, the area is very welcoming of those living in autos etc, it is a whole community now.
The folks in Slab City don't want to be found...

Old 09-03-2022, 08:38 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Situational awareness is key when it comes to living in Slab City. I believe the City of Palm Springs recently launched a Universal Monthly Income (UBI) program for residents of the OP’s persuasion.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3261434...der-residents/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties