U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM

39 posts, read 86,874 times
Default Redlands Orange Groves

Where do they sell the oranges produced in redlands? Will Redlands keep these agricultural fields? Because I have noticed loma linda building over some of there's. Thnx
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,332,047 times
Taking Terracina back from Barton can get you a few groves that sell on the street by honor system. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM

60 posts, read 156,561 times
There are some fruit stands on Citrus Ave that sell them as well. There's also a group called the "Inland Orange Conservancy" that allows you to buy "shares" of citrus crops. A few of my coworkers buy oranges from this group, though I have never done so.

(I am not endorsing or otherwise promoting the IOC, simply mentioning them for informational purposes)

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,605 times
How large will oranges grow? my mother has a tree that has produced 3 huge oranges one of them measures 23 inches around this has never happened before to this tree

Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

15,194 posts, read 24,555,679 times
We were just visiting friends in the IE this past weekend. I always thought they lived in Redlands, but it is actually Mentone - and it's beautiful! They own an orange grove farm with probably over 100 acres. I won't give away their name, but you can't miss their farm if you get off at Greenspot off the 210 and travel to the right and go over an old bridge.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM

8,307 posts, read 9,873,935 times
The orange groves off colton ave towards mentone in redlands (near miller high school) smell good.
I see bags of oranges 4 sell near the groves & i have bought a few over the years.

Once yrs ago in the fall i got a flat tire near the groves & didnt have a spare tire. I had to roll the flat tire about a mile or so to a tire shop in mentone. Luckily the shop was open & it cost me $5.00 to patch the flat. It was after dark when i walked back to the car & no street lights were where my car was.

Changing a tire in the dark with only a flashlight is not easy but i did it quick & got back on the road. Had a cop seen me i would of been ticketed for expired tags or possibly been towed.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM

15 posts, read 55,201 times
Gary- 23" -- isn't that what Barbie's waist measures?
Usually the grapefruits can get that big. I think that when there is ample rainfall, the peel gets very thick on citrus. Once you peel it, the fruit is near normal sized.

Anyone interested in learning more about citrus really needs to attend one of the events that the Inland Orange Conservancy conducts during the 7 weekd Redlands Festival. They give informative tours of a grove, the history of the orange growing industry in the area and how the industry has changed/is changing. The best eating orange in the country is from the groves in Mentone/Redlands and is the Washington Navel orange which is best in about March/April of each year. Other citrus I've seen grown here are Valencia oranges for juice and mandarin oranges, blood oranges, kumquats, oro blanco(sweet) grapefruit, lemon, Meyer Lemon and some ruby red grapefuit. In addition, some people grow avocados, persimmons(2 varieties), and pomegranate.------There are two produce stands in Mentone(one is called Staffords) both on Mentone Blvd. Also there are two active stands on 5th Street run by Farquhars. You can also find local citrus at the Redlands Farmers Mkt and I THINK Green Valley produce stand in Yucaipa on Yucaipa Blvd sells local also. And yes, the Inland Orange Conservancy is a source for all types of citrus and produce if you want to join. It helps preserve the viability of local citrus growers who want to retain this great local way of life.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,316,649 times
I have Valencias, Washingtons, Mandarins, Bloods, Meyer lemons and Bearss limes under cultivation. I let the Washingtons and the Valencias hang until at least mid-March.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McHopper View Post
Gary- 23" -- isn't that what Barbie's waist measures?
Usually the grapefruits can get that big. I think that when there is ample rainfall, the peel gets very thick on citrus. Once you peel it, the fruit is near normal sized.

Anyone interested in learning more about citrus really needs to attend one of the events that the Inland Orange Conservancy conducts during the 7 weekd Redlands Festival. They give informative tours of a grove, the history of the orange growing industry in the area and how the industry has changed/is changing. The best eating orange in the country is from the groves in Mentone/Redlands and is the Washington Navel orange which is best in about March/April of each year. Other citrus I've seen grown here are Valencia oranges for juice and mandarin oranges, blood oranges, kumquats, oro blanco(sweet) grapefruit, lemon, Meyer Lemon and some ruby red grapefuit. In addition, some people grow avocados, persimmons(2 varieties), and pomegranate.------There are two produce stands in Mentone(one is called Staffords) both on Mentone Blvd. Also there are two active stands on 5th Street run by Farquhars. You can also find local citrus at the Redlands Farmers Mkt and I THINK Green Valley produce stand in Yucaipa on Yucaipa Blvd sells local also. And yes, the Inland Orange Conservancy is a source for all types of citrus and produce if you want to join. It helps preserve the viability of local citrus growers who want to retain this great local way of life.
McHopper - Where do I get more information on the grove tours? I would be interested to go, but I couldn't find anything on IOC website and/or Redlands Festival. Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 PM

15 posts, read 55,201 times
memphiztek-
I can't find anything for 2012 info either, either due to it not being scheduled yet or maybe it is now a thing of the past. It was always held after the Redlands Bicycle Classic during the Celebrate Redlands Festival time, which was late March through mid April.
I would contact the IOC, Bob Knight was president and see if he will be conducting tours this coming spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties