U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,358 times

Advertisements

San Bernardino Sheriff investigators routinely fail to fully investigate citizens' complaints against allegedly abusive officers, often omitting or altering crucial information in ways that help exonerate the officers. I am asking for the County Supervisors to step up and internally investigate citizen’s complaints. If you can examine alleged complaints you will find nearly half of the time you will have found some sort of flaw, including investigators who inaccurately recorded statements and failed to interview witnesses or identify accused officers. In some cases investigators, I am sure failed to address allegations of misconduct at all. We as citizens are always concerned about the quality of their investigations and citizens believe it is essential to maintain the integrity of the complaint process. Conclusion that the accusations against officers were "unfounded" would have been different if the investigations had been handled better. The police appear to be faulted for failing to interview witnesses and further their investigation about claims made. Investigators fail to identify any wrong doing. You cannot ask police to investigate their buddies and friends. We've got the wrong paradigm for vigorously pursuing complaints. We as a citizens have a tremendous interest in not keeping bad cops around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:43 AM

30 posts, read 97,098 times
Completely false. Your statements deserve no further response.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,788,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsunspoken View Post
Completely false. Your statements deserve no further response.
It would appear that you must be one of the few that has not had any interaction with the SanBodo Sheriffs Dept, or had a situation that requireds their "SERVICES". I can only say , keep your fingers crossed it never happens !

Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 PM

30 posts, read 97,098 times
What would appear to be, is not so. I am not one of the few. I have had interaction and it was far from what brady has stated. My fingers do not need crossing, but thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsunspoken View Post
What would appear to be, is not so. I am not one of the few. I have had interaction and it was far from what brady has stated. My fingers do not need crossing, but thanks.
***** You're welcome. FACT.....You are one of the lucky ones. Fact is,as was stated in the OP your interaction was only 1 of the thousands of interactions the Sheriff's Dept. handle on a daily basis. I personally know of many that were not handled properly from my own experances. i.e. False statements by Officers, sloppy investigations, wrongly placing blame or cause in vehicle accidents when their own reports show that other party's were responsiable. and even when these facts were brought to their attention they failed to respond to the complaint, this is required by LAW of all public agency's ( guess they don't make mistakes?).

Old 06-29-2008, 05:59 PM

681 posts, read 2,597,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyzehms View Post
You cannot ask police to investigate their buddies and friends. We've got the wrong paradigm for vigorously pursuing complaints. We as a citizens have a tremendous interest in not keeping bad cops around.
You've expressed your opinion, Wordsunspoken has offered another and Fighter 1 yet one more. May I offer mine? From the perspective of a former SO supervisor in a neighboring county?

First, it's obvious there IS a problem with some of the SO's beat deputies in your area. The sheriff is elected every four years and if he or she can't run a clean, efficient department with acceptable community relations they need to be unelected and replaced. That's simple. If you can't get the local media to tie in with you on that then something bigger is wrong, imo. And I agree about not keeping bad cops around. Back when I wore a badge that was my biggest job. Weeding out the "weeds". The cops I trained and accepted would have contacted you to iron it out if they knew there had been some type of problem.

But you actually SHOULD be able to count on LE to thoroughly and fairly investigate citizen's complaints against their officers. They are in the best possible place to do this. You, as a citizen, are not. For many reasons. No matter how fair-minded you think you are. [Think of it this way. Could you as an accountant also judge the technical competence of a brain surgeon accused of malpractice?]

Most cops hate Internal Affairs divisions because they know that cops are harder on their own than outsiders. All this supposes that you as a citizen are fairly following the citizen's complaint process. Keep your complaints impersonal and to the point. And keep a written record of them. If the local SO doesn't resolve them fairly and promptly, contact the state AG's office and file a complaint with them. Making sure you have the paperwork to back you up.

In my experience most citizen's complaints came from misunderstanding what had actually happened. Have you spoken to the commander of the patrol or IA division? Or the undersheriff. Or sheriff? They each have an interest in maintaining fair and equitable community relations. Sometimes speaking with them saves beau coup time.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,762,814 times
I would think the SBCSO would be especially eager to make sure this stuff was investigated, in the wake of the unnecessary shooting by former Deputy Ivory Webb. Ex-deputy charged with shooting Iraq veteran - DailyBulletin.com

Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I would think the SBCSO would be especially eager to make sure this stuff was investigated, in the wake of the unnecessary shooting by former Deputy Ivory Webb. Ex-deputy charged with shooting Iraq veteran - DailyBulletin.com
Fact of the matter is that the sheriff's dept. does not think they have to respond and they haven't in the cases i refered to . even though the officer's report in his own writing states facts that do not support his conclusion as to who was responsiable for this particular accident. and added to this that although 2 demand letters have been sent to the station in Yucaipa. Why complain to the seinor officers they all ready know of the problem their in Yucaipa The letters were sent to them ,There has been no responce. it has been 4 mo. now. and most likly there will be none.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM

777 posts, read 3,401,863 times
If someone has this much interest in the day-to-day dealings of the police, and is not a member or related to one, it says a lot about the person. Don't do anything or be around anyone who does anything that would require the police. Yea, there are officers who take power to their heads, but if you're not doing anything wrong, what difference, really, does that make?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
If someone has this much interest in the day-to-day dealings of the police, and is not a member or related to one, it says a lot about the person. Don't do anything or be around anyone who does anything that would require the police. Yea, there are officers who take power to their heads, but if you're not doing anything wrong, what difference, really, does that make?
The differance is that the insident that i refered to was an accident that was not the fault of the victim in this case but because of the neglect or in proper training of this officer the victim has been injured a 2nd time by the police that are there to protect not injured . and yes we all make mistakes from time to time but when presented with facts that show clearly there has been a wrong done , and there is totaly no response from those who's job it is to state the facts correctly and report events correctly also in doing this action the officer has actually violated the persons constitutional rights to due process. TITLE 42, 1983, Some thing that the officer swore an oath to uphold when he put on the Uniform and Badge He is a TERRIOST by his actions . Don't believe me that look it up for your self. See she didn't do anything wrong either She was and is a victim. Would be more than happy to make document available to anyone that likes to see them DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties