Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:03 PM

215 posts, read 985,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonabear View Post
victorville had a definite 'ghetto' vibe to me.......too many big city looking gangbangers wondering around.
oh yes phoenix is a way better place to live no gangs anywhere ya right keep dreaming everywhere there are gangs hollywood,fort worth dallas phoenix buckeye avondale even malibu so whats your point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
oh yes phoenix is a way better place to live no gangs anywhere ya right keep dreaming everywhere there are gangs hollywood,fort worth dallas phoenix buckeye avondale even malibu so whats your point
My 'point' is this:

All of the areas that you listed are part of major metro areas whereas Victorville is a reasonably small standalone town.

Big cities tend to have major gang problems unfortunately.

Besides: I visited VV and was quite disappointed to say the least.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:54 PM

215 posts, read 985,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My 'point' is this:

All of the areas that you listed are part of major metro areas whereas Victorville is a reasonably small standalone town.

Big cities tend to have major gang problems unfortunately.

Besides: I visited VV and was quite disappointed to say the least.
I thought the same about Phoenix By the way Victorville population is over 100,000 people not including Adelanto,Phelan,Apple Valley and Hesperia. I dont know where you get vv as a small standalone town

Old 07-09-2008, 12:30 AM

219 posts, read 789,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfollower View Post
{I will also post the following in Los Angeles section}

How would you compare these towns with each other in terms of pros/cons for single-family living and employment?

What are the ares in each to stay away from?

Thanks!
Been here 5yrs. Want the truth? Or sugar coated? Truth....Move to Apple Valley or Spring Valley lake or stay where your at.

Stay away from all others. lol. Tell me where your looking and I will tell you if its good or not. I know the schools too. ASk away with more detail OR pm me if you want

Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx View Post
palmdale is mediocre... I have lived in apple valley before and been in victorville, they are really close, and AV doesn't really offer a whole lot. most of the food and stuff were in VV. i do miss In and Out Burgers though!! yum! But yeah, VV and AV have their +, cheap, (compared to rest of Cali), small town living (for those who don't like big cities), but the - are that the schools aren't so great, AV has a section called felony flats for a reason... There is adequate employment there, a lot of small shops and other big places. you just have to look. VV is alright, out of the 3, I would choose VV, but in my opinion, it is like choosing the best of the worst in this case... In my opinion. Now many people may disagree w/ me, but from my experience living there, that is what I can say.. Good luck!
--Brandon
Not anymore. AV has grown. Bear Valley and Apple Valley Rd are PLENTY of places including a movie theater going in. It has changed.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Actually, living in the high desert has its pros and cons, like any other city in the world. There is work, depending on what youre looking for. But the majority of the higher paying jobs are 'down the hill'...I wonder if that has anything to do with housing costs more down there? BUT...up here you have the advantage of housing being less expensive, clear crisp skies, far less smog issues and it seems the people up here are more friendlier, they can relate to simple living.
Agree. Better paying jobs are "down the hill" which is a 6% grade. For professionals by as much as $10hr higher some times! That's right. Here is $16hr and down the hill you could get $26! To travel down the hill, it is an average of 1hr drive.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvortec View Post
Agree. Better paying jobs are "down the hill" which is a 6% grade. For professionals by as much as $10hr higher some times! That's right. Here is $16hr and down the hill you could get $26! To travel down the hill, it is an average of 1hr drive.
Sounds much like the Kingman-Bullhead City Az wage split.....wages tend to be higher in the latter city 'down the hill'------and, too it is a 1 hour drive (40-55) miles)

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvortec View Post

Yep, thats true. But then, unfortunately, rentals down there are where you need those type of wages, too.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,309,487 times
yeah don't move to victorville you'll regret it i lived there for 5 years and finally left thank god

Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Apple Valley:

Overall, most of the town is middle class. The housing is decent to nice, though most I'd place in the decent range. Shopping is adequate, and the city is continuing to grow at a healthy pace, though the housing market has hit the area rather badly. The schools are probably the best in the High Desert, but that's not saying much. The area is fairly windy most of the time, but not Santa Ana gust-like. It can easily get into the one hundred degree plus temperatures on most summer days, though it's not too bad if you grew up back east (It actually feels like 85-89 comparably).

Victorville:

The city has the largest population of the three High Desert Cities (Victorville, Hesperia, and Apple Valley). It has a lot of new development, particularly on the city's western front, near Bear Valley Road and Palmdale Road. Most of the new housing areas are middle class. The city has a mall, the Victor Valley mall, as well as Scandia, a mini golf, amusement-like place.

There are some rough areas of Victorville, particularly near Old Town Victorville. There tends to be numerous illegal Mexicans in the area, as well as a certain amount of homeless dotting the park on Highway 18 (D Street).

Bear Valley Road is the main drage through Victorville. In fact, it is the most traveled road in the High Desert, besides I-15. You're apt to see many sign twirlers on a daily basis throughout the year. Lots of restaurants and shopping are on Bear Valley Road, though the numerous traffic lights coupled with the amount of traffic make it a slow go westward heading towards the mall.

The schools in Victorville, in my opinion, are subpar. I wouldn't put my kid in a school in this city.

The area is also home to Victor Valley College, also known as "Tumbleweed Tech" to some locals.

Palmdale:

Probably the worst of the three you mentioned. Much of this city has succombed to heavy illegal Mexican infiltration. The schools are horrible, and there are a lot of stragglers on the road in certain locations. However, there are a few areas in this town that aren't as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties