Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
John Wayne is WAY more than 45 min. It takes 20 min from my brother's house in Yorba Linda...on a good day.On mapquest it's 1 hr. 9 min...assuming going 65 miles an hr the entire trip with no traffic. In real life you are looking at 1 hr 30 min to 2 hrs.
I second this, since I had a satellite office in Corona for a few years and flew out of John Wayne frequently from there or from the main office in Irvine. And, from Corona, using the toll road, it could take 45 minutes. I've even had it take that long from San Juan Capistrano, so 1.5-2 hours is a good gauge from further into the IE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 12:23 AM

8 posts, read 25,917 times
Thanks again! I think I have been really spoiled with airports as I have lived within 10 minutes of one pretty much all my life - I do a lot of shipping of things that need to go from airports and of course flying at times, so I guess that's where i was coming from. Is Temecula a lot smaller than San Luis Obispo? They have an airport at least.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
No airport in Temecula. Ontario is the closest, next is John Wayne, then San Diego, and then LAX...(Long Beach is somewhere in the mix).

Ontario: Mapquest 54 min...but with the 15 and the 10, it takes roughly 1hr. 30
John Wayne: Already mentioned
San Diego: 1 hr. 3 min on mapquest...but again looking at longer with traffic (about the same timeframe as John Wanye 1.5hr-2hrs)
LAX: Forget about it...how long did it take the univere to be created?

Temecula is pretty isolated. It's about 30min (on a good day) or so from March, but the 215 is HELL (Dante wrote that the 215 is really the last layer of Hell). There is always construction, plus it's 2 lanes in each direction at certain points. And the 15 interchange is always congested. The commute time balloons from Temecula to most points north (March, LA, OC, Riverside proper), since there is pretty much one route out (the 15).

Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
I certainly would not rule out Yucaipa in this discussion. You have Ontario airport to the west and Palm Springs to the east, both very easy to get to from the 10 fwy. Quiet country living yet close enough to the big box stores and several restaurants in San Berdoo and Redlands and the outlet stores in Cabazon and shopping in Palm Springs/Palm Desert to the east. More upscale stuff and a couple of great malls (Ontario Mills and Victoria Gardens) to the west in Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario. This location would be a fairly easy drive to MARB and the weather should not be a real problem for you. Lots of choices so good luck to you folks.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM

24 posts, read 77,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova-dc-metro View Post
Hi, my husband was offered a job at the March Air Reserve Base in Riverside and he wants a commute no more than 1 hour. We are coming from the Northern VA area and right now we live in the suburbs and have the luxury of a commuter bus that connects to the Metro to go to work on every day. I know we will have to be giving that up. What we don't like about the NOVA area is the hot humid summers where you cannot be outdoors and the snowy winters (where you can ALSO not be outdoors!) , plus the traffic is getting worse all the time. Not bad out where we live at the moment and we have a lot of close shopping, so on a day to day basis we really don't have to deal with the traffic much. We had hoped to find something closer to a San Diego climate, but I know the area we will need to be in will not be so moderate. Anyway, can you suggest a place that would meet the following ciriteria:

~ Not to smoggy
~ Not too hot (I think Palm Springs is out b/c of heat)
~ Decent amount of sun
~ Close to shopping and eating (Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, fast food...)
~ Decently safe, family oriented
~ Area that will hold it's housing value decently once the economy recovers
~ Looking in the 6-700k range for house

Also, what is the area like where this reserve base is?

Thanks if you can help!
The area near March reserve base is not that good. If you can afford it try getting a place in Canyon Lake. It's a private, gated community within 20-30 mins from March and once was voted one of the safest places to live in California. It does get hot out there in the Inland Empire so if you want to be where it's not as hot go west towards Orange County. Look up south Corona in the Dos Lagos area. It's new and a nice area. It's probably a 30-40 min drive to March from there.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman716 View Post
The area near March reserve base is not that good. If you can afford it try getting a place in Canyon Lake. It's a private, gated community within 20-30 mins from March and once was voted one of the safest places to live in California. It does get hot out there in the Inland Empire so if you want to be where it's not as hot go west towards Orange County. Look up south Corona in the Dos Lagos area. It's new and a nice area. It's probably a 30-40 min drive to March from there.
It's not 40 min!!! Trust me. Why bother with the 15 and 215? What's wrong with Orangecrest, Canyon Crest, Reche Canyon, Sunnymead Ranch, Hidden Springs, Moreno Valley Ranch, Mission Inn District, Colony Heights, Mission Grove, Sycamore Highlands, Box Springs, and Stoneridge Ranch? I mean they are REALLY safe communities, some with great schools (Orangecrest), really close to the base, and cheap. I would consider Orangecrest.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:21 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova-dc-metro View Post

Anyway, can you suggest a place that would meet the following ciriteria:

~ Not to smoggy
~ Not too hot (I think Palm Springs is out b/c of heat)
~ Decent amount of sun
~ Close to shopping and eating (Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, fast food...)
~ Decently safe, family oriented
~ Area that will hold it's housing value decently once the economy recovers
~ Looking in the 6-700k range for house

Also, what is the area like where this reserve base is?

Thanks if you can help!
Temecula is nice. For a similar community with an airport nearby (Ontario International), try Rancho Cucamonga. That city will meet your criteria. Or if you prefer an 'older' community, check out Upland or Claremont. I will also add that Riverside and Redlands are cool, too.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:13 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,407,499 times
Temecula has an airport, it's on the north end in French Valley. (I'm from that area, moved last year). They don't have 747's or anything, but you can get a commuter flight if you need to.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,646 times
Default Can't miss on this one.

Welcome to California. I know relocating can be tough, but also exciting. If you are coming from the DC area with the commute you speak of along with the weather and stressed out people - trust me, this is a no brainer. You will wear shorts in the winter, yet be able to drive to snow if that is what you want. The commute is easily less than 30 minutes to almost anything you want. Homes, even at that range are easily obtainable. Even if the Sams or CostCo is 20 miles away, that means it is 20 minutes, not 1 1/2 hours.

Anyway - good luck and welcome!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 AM

21 posts, read 65,778 times
Default Relocating from VA

Congrats on the new job. I know what that's like. I also moved from the east coast, Was a Realtor there for many years and am a Realtor here in So-Cal. I would say Murrieta over Temecula becasue of the traffic. With your price range you can find a great home. If you want land, there's some areas in Murrieta. There's also a great area in Riverside Just sold a nice on 2.5 acres on the hill in Mockinbird Canyon. Murrieta and Temecula will also have some homes with larger lots. Let me know if you want me to e-mail you some listings.
Good Luck with the move!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties