Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 10:12 PM

120 posts, read 410,336 times

Advertisements

I been looking around downtown riverside around market street...

Whats your opinion on this area... Like will i be hearing gunshots at night time?? and tweekers walking around market street causing trouble???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Never lived in that part of town myself but know people who did/do. They won't go outside at night. You should be able to check the crime stats for that area. Personally I would avoid it. If you want the mix of styles in the houses, the area near Riverside Plaza is a better choice and much safer.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:11 AM

539 posts, read 1,804,150 times
Really? Such a shame.
I used to be able to walk around at night to check out the bars and venues.
nightbird47 has it right. Check out the "Wood" streets.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
It's relatively safe in downtown Riverside. Some shady people, but then again, that's the case in most areas.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
I love the downtown area...especially around the Mission Inn. I was there the Friday after Thanksgiving for the Lighting of the Christmas lights on the Mission Inn....but then, so were thousands of others. It wasn't scary then, but I'm not sure about the rest of the time at night. A lot of places aren't safe at night anymore if you are alone...you really have to be careful and aware of your surrounding. I'm by no means afraid to go to the downtown area alone during the day though.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
I love the downtown area...especially around the Mission Inn. I was there the Friday after Thanksgiving for the Lighting of the Christmas lights on the Mission Inn....but then, so were thousands of others. It wasn't scary then, but I'm not sure about the rest of the time at night. A lot of places aren't safe at night anymore if you are alone...you really have to be careful and aware of your surrounding. I'm by no means afraid to go to the downtown area alone during the day though.
The Mission Inn area is awesome, and the tour is not to be missed if you haven't taken it. I used to take the bus and go to the Wednesday night street fairs every week without fail and that was at night. But there were lots of people and lots of police too. I made sure I took a bus home that didn't leave me at the station past the closing of the fair.

During the day it is fine, and the old buildings, especially the courthouse, are incredable to check out and the museum too. But I wouldn't be there past dark unless it was for something special. Years ago we went to a class in the area and parked near and hurried out, but then I was with a big burly guy who didn't look like you'd bother him and a few years ago. As a single woman I would never go there after dark.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:59 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to take the bus and go to the Wednesday night street fairs every week without fail and that was at night. But there were lots of people and lots of police too. I made sure I took a bus home that didn't leave me at the station past the closing of the fair.
Downtown Wednesday Nights were fun...I went to many of them myself. But, unfortunately they stopped having them...not sure why, but I sure miss 'em! They were a great way to spend a summer evening!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
Downtown Wednesday Nights were fun...I went to many of them myself. But, unfortunately they stopped having them...not sure why, but I sure miss 'em! They were a great way to spend a summer evening!
It wasn't due to anything that happened at the Wednesday Night event, but the Orange Blossom festival. The same company put both of them on. They were also responsible for security. They ended up with a gang fight involving the Bloods and the Krypts and the nazis.... with both turning on the nazis... The city revoked the contract which ended both events.

It was such a great chance to enjoy the historic area and have lots of fun, and get to know the merchants. So unforutnate that street violence had to take it away.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:50 AM

3 posts, read 25,771 times
I visit downtown all the time. Down town didn't seem to be to ghetto. There seems to be a lot of the intellectual college type that hang out there, that's not so bad. There is a lot of late 1800s buildings to check out. They also close off one of the streets usually orange by university ave every year for for one night for the day of the dead celebration after Halloween. It's cool to check out. Of course the mission inn is great to wander around in for an hour or so. But don't go to the areas down mission boulevard around the jurupa valley area where I live, this area is very bad. There is loud Mexican music and gunshots every few nights. The under developed areas should be avoided at night. I won't go out at night unless I am driving.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 25,771 times
Perhaps I should mention that I plan to move to Colorado and stay with family due to lack of employment in this area. Jobs are very hard to find unless you are a skinny attractive 19 year old or are a Mexican hired by family. Sorry, but I am around it every day and it is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties