Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
This is so true. I have lived in places much nicer then I should have and just did without the extras because I liked the feel. I have also lived in areas others wouldnt because I met some nice people there and enjoyed myself. The problem was nver the zip code but how people reacted to our diferences, which surprised me.
You make an excellent point. I grew up in Compton, and you would be amazed at how people react when I tell them where I am from. Then I find my self apologizing for growing up in Compton like it was my fault or worse hear them apologize to me like I had the worst upbringing and life for growing up there. I wouldn't trade where I grew up for anything. I am just fortunate that I can afford to live in a nicer area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 09:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
If I told people the village where our rural post office is located, therefore our mailing address, they'd either laugh, say "Huh?" or most likely both. So I usually give the name of the lake on the shore of which we live and SW Missouri. Simpler that way.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You make an excellent point. I grew up in Compton, and you would be amazed at how people react when I tell them where I am from. Then I find my self apologizing for growing up in Compton like it was my fault or worse hear them apologize to me like I had the worst upbringing and life for growing up there. I wouldn't trade where I grew up for anything. I am just fortunate that I can afford to live in a nicer area.
If I grew up in Compton I would be telling everyone... just to see that shocked look on their faces.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
One of my neighbors told me I that when she and her husband lived in a less desirable area/city, and it bordered one of the nicer cities, they would tell people that they lived in that nicer city, until they were able to afford to live in a better area.

What do you think about people lying about where they live? Does it really matter? I'm just curious to read your comments.
I think it's lame. I knew people in one of my college classes that claimed they lived in Manhattan Beach. I looked them up in the directory and, lo and behold, actually lived in Hawthorne.

But, I could see why people would amend where they live to explain it to people who "have no clue". The sad part is when you have to give a five-minute explanation to someone THAT LIVES IN THE SAME COUNTY IN WHICH YOU LIVE.

This actually was my experience in one class. On the first day of my writing class, we broke up into small groups and shared with each other particulars about ourselves. One of the young ladies in our group had no idea where La Habra was (I grew up there and was still living there at that time), even though she lived in Irvine for five years (originally from the East Coast). After I invoked the name of Disneyland and then said "eight miles north of there" she finally got it.

This was in the days when Internet was not in the general public nor, for that matter, were cellular devices with searching capability.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,421,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
But,THAT LIVES IN THE SAME COUNTY IN WHICH YOU LIVE.
You make a very good point. A lot of times, some of the worst areas to live, are just next door or only separated by a freeway, riverbed, or street. Yet because people want people to think highly of where they live, they tend to say that they live in Manhattan Beach, when actually they live in Hawthorne; they live in Claremont, when they actually live in Pomona; they live in Irvine, when they actually live in Anaheim; or they live in Redondo Beach, when they actually live in Lawndale.

I have a family member who has told all of us that she lives in Coto De Coza. Now I even had to look up this area, cause I didn't know where it was. I was laughing so hard when I found out what type of million dollar homes were in that community, when this person is only a clerk for the state. Does the state pay clerks that kind of money to live in an exclusive area of the OC? Anyway, I hope you see where I am going with this. Unless one's mailing address says the actual city a person lives, as well as showing it on his driver's license, then why should people pretend to live where they actually don't? I got it. It just sounds better .

Last edited by antredd; 07-28-2012 at 08:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:06 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
they live in Irvine, when they actually live in Anaheim;
That would be a bit of a stretch; I actually live in Anaheim; Irvine is a little ways away.

People might say they live in Irvine but live in Santa Ana. (The place where those two cities meet is commercial/industrial anyway so it's still a stretch, but point made.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,057 times
I used to not appreciate Riverside at all..but now I kind of like it.It's not so bad. As a teenager I thought it was a pitiful hole in the ground. Now I think it's pretty tolerable..

Old 08-10-2012, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 21,151 times
My address is Perris, but it is really close to Riverside. Im not anywhere near downtown perris, just off the Cajalco exit on the 215 . I grew up in riverside but family moved to Perris. Been thinking of just putting Riverside on my resume to help when applying for jobs in LA etc.. Figure Riverside is more known than Perris, so hoping that gives me better luck when they think of my location/distance, in case they go "Where the heck is Perris? sounds far".. From what other locals said, my area used to be part of riverside, and that maybe Perris will give it back to riverside.

Think that will play a big deal in job applications? Just put Riverside on the apps/resume, and when actually hired, just put the correct city?

Last edited by hypertek; 08-10-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-10-2012, 04:33 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I wouldn't do that on a job app. No need to give them ANY reason to reject you. (half-truths, white lies etc)

Old 08-10-2012, 04:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
I dont lie about it. But Im not proud of it either. The crime is too high for the city's size. Maybe it's just the times we live in now. But I am not optimistic about proposed improvements because I hear too much buck passing as people rationalize that it is so much safer than L.A. Well per capita, it is not. It's worse. And to those natives who chaffe at remarks like mine, yes I am plotting an escape...

SacAlarms present "Sacramento Crime from News 10" - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties