Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:57 PM

4 posts, read 57,700 times

Advertisements

I am a 63 year old gay man and am looking at moving to the Palm Springs/Cathedral City area and am looking for information regarding the 55+ mobile home parks there. I am looking a park that provides a lot of activities as well as holiday dinners. I don't golf so that part does not really matter.

I have heard horror stores, in other parts of the country, about someone gay moving into a 55+ and the seniors there being all up in arms and freezing the gay person out.

I am hoping that the Palm Springs area might be more accepting but there could still be an issue with the snowbirds.

Does anyone have any insight for me regaring this?

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 02:02 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
You will be completely welcomed in Palm Springs. I don't know anything about the mobile home parks, unfortunately. But there are a lot of nice places in our beautiful valley and you wil not have a problem finding acceptance here.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM

Thank you Twinkle Toes!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:23 AM

268 posts, read 1,199,547 times
I would suggest that you look into the El Dorado Mobile Country Club. It is located on the border between Palm Springs and Cathedral City. My understanding is that it offers extensive activities and does have a large number of gay residents. You might also try the Date Palm Country Club in Cathedral City.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 AM

GoodbyeCalifornia:

Great infomation. Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 14,224 times
I also have been looking in P/S at Parks and find there will be no problems. There a many gays that live in them there. They very in rent from 400 to 600 and Date Palm is 800 to 1000 (most exspensive in the area i think). The MH very in price a great deal due to age, condition, and how fast people want to sell. You can buy the land but then you have to pay taxes, but a little easier to finance and one does not have to worry about the park being sold however I have not found that to be a big problem there.Look in the The Desert MLS online and you can get an idea. If I can help my email is [email]jpleverywhere@hotmail.com[/email] I not a salesmen, nor do I live there yet.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 14,316 times
Bob, I just returned from a fact-finding visit to Palm Springs last week to check out possible retirement living options. The mobile home communities are a very affordable option, and even in the over-55 communities there are a significant number of gay residents. And right now the prices are extremely reasonable due to the downturn in the housing market. Properties that were listed a year ago at $100,000 are now going for half that amount. The lot rents were as low as $320 and up to over $800. Some of that depended on the age of the community and the amenities, and also on the size of the lots. Check out the Desert Area MLS service to see whats available. As my friend out there put it to me - don't worry about being gay in any of these communities, the question is how many straight people are you willing to put up with!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you TXJohn & planodude! I have been checking the MLS there for a while and agree that the prices have dropped.

I am going there next week to check thing out. I have been there a number of times but this trip will be looking at how would be to live there.

I know the cost of living is higher there but I am assuming that most of that is due to housing costs. I do however need to seeing what I would be getting myself into regarding costs. I have heard horror stories about guys moving there and then finding out that it was to costly to live there.

Bob

Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 PM

947 posts, read 787,190 times
Default Did You Ever Find Something?

Just wondering because I'm planning on moving to Palm Springs and have to decide if I want to rent, buy a condo (could do a 1031 swap) or buy a mobile home.

I'm a gay man, 57 and hoping to retire at the end of the summer.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
I remember a rather large mobile home community on Date Palm in CC, south of Ramon. I visited a couple times because a gay couple had just moved in and put an ad on Craigslist to give away all their cardboard boxes (I was leaving the area for a job and needed boxes). On the two times I visited, the community seemed very nice and well-kept, and quite gay. I'm slowly creeping towards that age bracket, and hope to get back there someday. I may have to look that place up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties