Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM

7 posts, read 32,818 times

Advertisements

Here is a question: We moved to San Bernardino County from out of state a few days ago. We have two vehicles that we purchased less than 12 month ago and a trailer that we purchased right before moving so it never got no registration. I went to the DMV today and turned out that in order to register the less expensive car I have to pay almost a thousand dollars (since it was purchased less than 12 month ago and apparently no sales tax had been paid) and in order to do that I have to get first a California drivers license. I’m assuming the other vehicle, which is more than twice as expensive is going to be about $2,500.00 to register. The question is: how about I continue driving with out of state plates until the 12 months period is over and then get the CA drivers license and registration? The drawbacks would be that the trailer will be without any registration at all until than (I don’t have to drive it around ) and I would have to explain it some how if I get pulled over. Does anybody have an educated answer? How big are the fines over here for driving with out of state plates and drivers license?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Ouch. Welcome to California. Open your wallet. Did you pay sales tax in your old state when you bought the cars or do they not have sales tax? If you paid your old state, you might be able to bring proof and get a deduction for that amount. I believe you have two weeks to get a California drivers license upon moving here so get that asap.

I don't know what the fines are but I see people here all the time with out of state plates who've been living here for months or years. Some people have houses in Arizona or Nevada and register their cars there instead of California while they basically live and drive 95% in California. How long until your cars are 12 month old? I think I'd keep your old plates and be extra careful driving.

Do you have somewhere you can park the trailer on your own property? I wouldn't drive it without a plate.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the quick response.
I bought both cars from a friend who is a car dealer. I don’t think there was any sales tax involved. My wife does not remember and we don’t have any paperwork other than current registrations. First car will get to the 12 months mark in 5 month and the second - in 7 months. We are renting an apartment, so the trailer is parked on the street with a dealer plates (fancy plastic advertisement, not an actual “dealer plate”).
I wasn’t going to drive the trailer without a plate, I just was wondering if it would be suspicious that the trailer without the plates is parked on the street.
Do they pull over for just plates or they have to wait until I actually do something unlawful (I mean for out of state plates, not dealer plates)?

Last edited by 123tomsk; 12-30-2008 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Clarifying

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
You probably won't get pulled over just for having out of state plates but you might get cited if the cop figures out what you're doing. I wouldn't park the trailer on the street without plates. Most cities have laws about how long something can be parked in one place and even with a plate you could get cited. Without a plate, they'd probably impound it.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Thanks

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
It's very risky and especially now with the CA budget crisis. CA has set up a hot-line to report out of state registrations.

You didn't say if you're active military? Military are not required to change registration and that includes spouses.

Lot's of folks get caught with the 12 month rule. It used to be worse back when CA also charged a smog impact fee in addition... this was thrown out but only after many thousands had already paid.

Some of the car guys trailer cars in so the vehicle is never operated on CA public roadways... Won't work if you drove it in.

Renting an apartment, having utilities and bank accounts in your name may establish residency... having a job here in addition just about cinches it.

If tax was paid in another State, my understanding is that can be used as an offset to you would be charged here... if that State only charged 5% and CA is 9%... you would owe CA the 4% difference.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
You're asking for trouble parking that trailer on the street w/o plates. You'd be asking for trouble even if it had out of state plates.

Now you see why I always own older cars in this f'in state.... I hate paying the high registration fees. (not to mention insurance)

Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 PM

34 posts, read 119,708 times
Fontucky is right. If you are parking that trailer on the street or if you can see it from the street, such as a drive way, they will ticket and tow it. Cities make big money from this. As for the cars if you don't stand out they will generaly leave you alone. What state's plate do you have on you cars? Oregon plates are a red flag to the cops.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 PM

212 posts, read 637,914 times
If I recall, CA gives you only 10 days (or some other quick time frame) to get your license and registration in CA. I know someone here who drove with out of state plates for 2 years ! before getting a speeding ticket, then had no choice but to get it changed.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 35,573 times
Join the auto club & maybe they can help you.
They are a little friendlier than teh DMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties