U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM

35 posts, read 183,011 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to move from MA to CA and I have pinpointed Temecula as a desirable place to move my family. I'm use to being close to the ocean in the North East and I'm just wondering how far from the ocean is Temecula and are there nice beaches around that area of CA? I can see where it is on the map, but I'm just wondering what kind of a drive it would be to get to a beach. I understand there is a beautiful lake nearby but I really do love the salt water. Also, I'm a nurse and also wondering about the hospitals in that area. Specifically, I'm a labor and delivery nurse and currently work in a high risk hospital in Boston. I'm open to other's opinions or suggestions. My youngest is 12yo and my two older are out of college, but I still would be looking to relocate with 2 of my children. Thanks in advance for you time and suggestions,
Charlene
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:39 PM

214 posts, read 657,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlc318 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking to move from MA to CA and I have pinpointed Temecula as a desirable place to move my family. I'm use to being close to the ocean in the North East and I'm just wondering how far from the ocean is Temecula and are there nice beaches around that area of CA? I can see where it is on the map, but I'm just wondering what kind of a drive it would be to get to a beach. I understand there is a beautiful lake nearby but I really do love the salt water. Also, I'm a nurse and also wondering about the hospitals in that area. Specifically, I'm a labor and delivery nurse and currently work in a high risk hospital in Boston. I'm open to other's opinions or suggestions. My youngest is 12yo and my two older are out of college, but I still would be looking to relocate with 2 of my children. Thanks in advance for you time and suggestions,
Charlene
We are 17 straight miles to the ocean. It is a 25-30 mile drive to the closest beach. It takes anywhere from 25-45 minutes to get to the beach from South Temecula. The closest beach isn't THE nicest in CA (Oceanside) but I've always enjoyed it (the pier, bonfire pits, etc). From Oceanside you are another 10-15 minutes to some of the best San Diego beaches. Go North 20 minutes to Laguna/Newport Beach. My favorite CA beach is Aliso Park in Laguna Beach - small but beautiful and secluded. It is about 1 hr from Temecula to Laguna Beach.

South Temecula gets occasional ocean winds through a gap in the southern hills. Swimming in the nearby lakes isn't really recommended. Most neighborhoods have community pools and those that don't will have homes with private pools.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,270,464 times
Regarding the hospital situation, there is a hospital in nearby Murrieta (Southwest Healthcare System), but I've never been there, so can't give any advice. The next closest would be Fallbrook which is where I delivered my third child. It is small and not state-of-the-art, but seems like it would not be a stressful hospital to work at . After that would be Escondido and then further south.....

There is a location set for a hospital here in Temecula (on the north side 79S/Temecula Pkwy east of the 15 before Margarita Rd.), but I'm not sure of the timeline- I would imagine that it wouldn't be finished anytime soon with the economy and housing situation the way it is at the moment 'round these parts, but someday!

Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times
There are also bound to be hospitals to the north, in corona and riverside.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 AM

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. I will check out the hospitals and beaches when I plan my next trip to CA. It really helps to get someone's opinion who lives in the area.
Charlene

Old 02-07-2009, 07:29 PM

53 posts, read 198,165 times
Actually Fallbrook Hospital is top rate, a real undiscovered gem. Top rate care. I suggest you consider working there. Also, Kaiser Permanente has expanded to just north of Temecula in Wildomar so you might want to look into that. I live in Fallbrook, the east side, in an area called Gird Valley which is heaven on earth. It's about 10 degrees warmer than on the coast while Temecula is about 20 degrees warmer than on the coast.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Fallbrook....thank you so much for that info...someone at work was just telling me to look for a Kaiser Hospital. I will also look into Fallbrook Hospital. And Gird Valley does sound inviting. I'm getting a lot of feedback from people about my move to CA....many are telling me that the economy is so bad there and people are leaving CA, left and right. I believe that to be true just about everywhere. What is your honest opinion? I've lived in MA my entire life and really want to live out the last half of my life in a much warmer and friendlier climate. I know that as a nurse I'll be able to find work anywhere and I do have 28yrs of experience...especially in a high risk hospital, such as the one I currently work at in Boston. I want to live where there are some nice beaches and the summer lasts longer than 3 months!! I'm going to look at Grid Valley right now!!! Thank you again,
Charlene

Old 02-09-2009, 02:30 AM

53 posts, read 198,165 times
Nurses are in demand in California as we have lots of retirees so I would think you'd find a job easily. As for people leaving due to the poor economy, that means you actually may be able to buy real estate in California for the first time in 20 years, which is good for first time homebuyers and new people coming in. Job losses out here are heavy in real estate, lending and construction. After 10 years of a building boom, it had to go bust! The blossoms are on the trees outside and even though we had rain this week, spring is definitely here already. I've lived in cold places and it's gorgeous here in the winter time. Hands down, the weather is why people move here. If you want snow, you can be up the mountains in 1.5 hours. We can see snow on the mountains from the high points in Fallbrook - in the distance -- that's the way I like it!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Thank you Fallbrook. I'm going to visit the area within the next few months and hopefully get a better feel for the area. Spring will not be here for, at least, another 3 months. We're in the dead of winter and getting a snow storm, pretty much once a week. I don't think all this snow will melt until May-June!!! Ughh....I have no idea why anyone would want to live in the northeast....I was born here, but I can't wait to get out of here...there are no more "four Seasons!!!"....there's only two, long 8 month winter and hopefully 4 months of summer-fall!!!
Charlene

Old 02-21-2010, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 25,252 times
Just reading your correspondence. I'm also an RN thinking of moving to Temecula. I like Surgical ICU's and can not find a hospital with that venue. I don't want to commute too far to work and am not ready to be put out to pasture. That is my hold up with the area. Temecula is a big enough city to offer Cardiac Surgery but they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties