Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times

Advertisements

Been searching around the boards here, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of comments on this city before the LA County border. As much as I'd like Rancho Cucamonga, I can't justify the commute to Whittier (it's already 40-45 minutes from just West Covina!). Likewise, taxes in Chino Hills will push my budget too far.

The specific area I'm considering at are the slightly older properties (80's) and the really recent ones near Howard St./Monte Vista Ave./Central Ave., south of Mission Blvd. Nicely sized houses, lots that aren't postage stamps, and no HOA that will cost me $$$ (which ruled out a lot of the newer Chino properties).

Is there something about the city (and area) that I might be overlooking? Some feeling that "no one really cares"? Inherent issues with the schools? A serious lack of racial diversity? The citywide numbers aren't stellar, I know, but neither are Pomona's, and there are really nice areas there too (Phillips Ranch) for an upcoming family.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

127 posts, read 500,119 times
Montclair and Ontario share a school district and their API scores are very poor. The only way I would live there is if I could afford private school or had a friend's address and could school my kids in Upland. I do think you can petition for a transfer to Upland if you're in a poor performing school district but I'm not 100% sure about this. I do know they do NOT like to loose their students due to funding.

I suppose there are some decent homes in Montclair around the Montclair /Upland border but personally I don't think it's a great area. I drive through there all of the time and am not impressed nor do I feel 100% safe. I also do not like Montclair mall.

Racial diversity - take a walk around Montclair mall and you'll see what the racial diversity it. Montclair, Ontario - none of those areas are really diverse. It's overwhelmingly Hispanic.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomed View Post
Montclair and Ontario share a school district and their API scores are very poor. The only way I would live there is if I could afford private school or had a friend's address and could school my kids in Upland. I do think you can petition for a transfer to Upland if you're in a poor performing school district but I'm not 100% sure about this. I do know they do NOT like to loose their students due to funding.

I suppose there are some decent homes in Montclair around the Montclair /Upland border but personally I don't think it's a great area. I drive through there all of the time and am not impressed nor do I feel 100% safe. I also do not like Montclair mall.

Racial diversity - take a walk around Montclair mall and you'll see what the racial diversity it. Montclair, Ontario - none of those areas are really diverse. It's overwhelmingly Hispanic.
I would have to agree with everything you are telling the OP. I would recommend Upland or Claremont but of course they are much more expensive.

Nita

Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I think that the extra minutes commuting to and from Rancho Cucamonga is acceptable. No way would I choose Montclair over Rancho Cucamonga. I grew up in Pomona and know Montclair fairly well. I don't see any equivalence between RC and Montclair. If not RC, then Claremont, Upland, Diamond Bar, San Dimas, or Glendora should be considered. Of the cities in the region, Montclair is near the bottom of the list.

My opinion, of course.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 PM

All points taken - thanks. I'll keep looking.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Just to reinforce what the others have said, I passed by the property that I was considering earlier today. Apparently there's a pharmacy at the street corner a block down. No, not a CVS or a Rite Aid, but the street pharmacist variety.

That and the real estate sign got tagged.

Definitely a pass!

Old 02-28-2009, 03:15 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,539 times
Why don't you consider NOrth OC?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 AM

5 posts, read 22,538 times
Upland for the win!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 06:57 AM

593 posts, read 1,794,504 times
I live in Chino and wouldn't advice Montclair...Go walk the Montclair mall on the weekend and you'll understand...

Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 AM

113 posts, read 427,532 times
Default Actually lived in Montclair for 7 years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I live in Chino and wouldn't advice Montclair...Go walk the Montclair mall on the weekend and you'll understand...
I lived in Montclair for 7 years and never had a problem, You can end up in the wrong street or neighbors in any town. hazel_eyes what did you mean by go to the mall and you'll understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties