U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 11:31 AM

7,295 posts, read 7,880,107 times

Advertisements

It's my understanding that insurance companies operate on a national level as to most policies. I have not found an insurance company that will allow a pit bull on a rental house. In fact, several are now not giving insurance on ANY dog, because so many people have lied about the breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 11:38 AM

16,587 posts, read 20,178,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I have not found an insurance company that will allow a pit bull on a rental house.
These guys might: California Insurance Company Quotes | Home, Brush and Dog Liability

Old 01-21-2011, 02:56 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,399,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
how can some of you be convinced, not all pitts are mean or aggressive??

Nita
Pit bulls were specifically bread to fight. That's their whole reason for existing. It's their nature.

Why don't you get one of these instead?

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/americanbully.htm

Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
Pit bulls were specifically bread to fight. That's their whole reason for existing. It's their nature.

Why don't you get one of these instead?

[url=http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/americanbully.htm]American Bully dogs Information and Pictures, Am Bullies[/url]

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-bernardino-riverside-counties/598931-pitbull-friendly-apartments-4.html#ixzz1NJM92PQ2[/url]

This post is completely false, try doing your homework. The breed was originally created for hunting, or bull and bear bating... also the statement that they have stronger jaws and larger jaws is false, research as of late has found that their jaw strength is average compared to other large breeds.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:45 AM

14,678 posts, read 7,106,076 times
To all the pit bull haters, here's a (hopefully) educational article:

FOR OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS AMERICANS KNEW PIT BULLS FOR WHAT THEY DID BEST. BABYSITTING. | Yonah Ward Grossman

Along with this video:

YouTube - ‪Pit Bull Blues by John Shipe‬‏

In my experience, pit bulls are the gentlest, most affectionate dogs (my sister has one). It's not the breed, but the person behind it, and how they're raised and socialized. It's also been my experience that smaller dogs like dachshunds and bichons are more prone to bite, than pit bulls.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 AM

16,587 posts, read 20,178,733 times
That's my girl, a nanny dog. In fact, her name is... Nanners. So gentle and loving with people, especially kids. Rabbits and cats, not so much. Poor bunnies and kitties.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:57 AM

138 posts, read 59,607 times
All I can say is that I hope this stigma will one day vanish. Dobermans used to have the same terrible stigma as well as German Shepherds. GSDs were considered terrible pets to have in a home. The comment about the media is very true in several instances. I remember specifically seeing a headline online about a vicious Pit Bull killing a child's pet rabbit (the only reason this made the news was because the dog belonged to a celeb). The vicious Pit turned out to be a French Bulldog. Unfortunately, they got the reaction they were hoping for. I read the entire article.

As far as the question on hand that this thread was supposed to answer. I have a very large dog which can be really difficult to find an apt that is willing to allow them. I went to craigslist and made a post describing my dog looking for a place to rent. I got several responses and now have several homes that are willing to let my dog move in. In some cases you can find a really cheap place if you have a roommate. As for insurance, I used Assurant Renter's Insurance and I know they did not have a prohibited list for pets. A certain breed may increase your premiums. Anyways, I hope I have helped answer any questions.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,118,129 times
I have to wonder when it is so well known that Pit Bulls have a negative stigma and reputation (deserved or not, it doesn't matter) and there are so many negative consequences to owning them, why in the world anyone would specifically choose that breed and then complain that nobody will rent or provide insurance for them? I mean its not like its the only dog breed available, there are plenty of medium/larger size dog breeds that are similar in temperament, and physical attributes that don't come with any of the perceived baggage. I know, I know, many pits are as sweet as can be I've met many of them, but honestly most dog owners are as lazy as can be and think training is a bad word -so a dog that requires more consistent attention because of their strength and temperament to guide them towards good behavior aren't the best choice for most folks anyway.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:12 PM

25,477 posts, read 16,767,540 times
I don't understand why anyone would go out of their way to get a pittbull dog knowing the controversy, unless that's part of the appeal.

I also don't understand why ANYONE would get a dog if they live in an apartment. That's just being irresposnsible IMO. I love animals but didn't have a pet, or a child, until I had my own place with space for them. It's just the way I am. I can understand changes in circumstances and having to move but I've also known tons of people who get their first apartment and immediately start adopting pets. It makes me sad.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 PM

138 posts, read 59,607 times
To both of your point, several people get these dogs without knowing how to handle them. I think it is due to a lack of responsibility on several levels. I have a friend who has two Pit Bulls and is, in my opinion, a terrible owner. He hasn't had either of them spayed or neutered and this has resulted in three litters of puppies in two years. He doesn't have his dogs vaccinated and they are both heart worm positive. People have called animal control on him, but it is really difficult to get a pet(s) taken away from an owner in Texas. Back to the puppies, I don't know if I have seen a cuter puppy than a Pit Bull puppy. They are really adorable. Well, here is another problem. When he has these puppies he has to get rid of them. He goes to the local Wal-Mart and gives them away to people that he does not know which only furthers the cycle of bad owners. Of course not all those people are bad owners (I have one of his dogs), but if you give away 12 puppies then you are likely to not find all trustworthy people. I am speaking of Texas specifically, but people out here do not always believe in neutering/spaying their dogs which is really unfortunate. Also, you would be amazed at how few people get their dogs vaccinated regularly.

HOWEVER, Pit Bulls are amazing animals. They are extremely loyal and I will never own another breed. Does it increase rates of insurance or rent? Yes and No. My renter's insurance is a little more expensive, but I don't mind paying that to cover all my possessions as well as my dog. As far as rent is concerned, I don't think I will pay more than any other person. Since I do have such a large dog I typically only look for really large apts or homes. I am searching for a place in Riverside right now and have set up visits at homes that the max rent is 750 with all bills paid. Pit Bulls are a very contreversial breed, but I really do think this will change as people realize that they are not impossible to handle and you will receive amazing benefits for owning one. The problem is that (especially in Texas) many people get them because of their "scary" looks and use them as guard dogs. Alot of times you will find these dogs posted in the yard or just walking around with no supervision. It's not the dog's fault that he was given to a terrible owner that did not want to love them. Pit Bulls are very loving dogs and they will do anything for your love. They are also great working dogs. There are national competitions where people bring their Pit Bulls to pull carts and such. Blame the deed, not the breed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties