Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,713 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going thru a legal separation--mostly due to his inability to instuct and discipline his children. I am a recovering cancer survior and my 18 year old stepson is no longer bearable. He does nothing but drinks and drugs all day. He comes in all hours of the night slamming doors, whistling, causing diturbances with others etc.. Is there a way to evict him. My husband and I are both legal owners of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 03:20 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,832,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristy1234 View Post
My husband and I are going thru a legal separation--mostly due to his inability to instuct and discipline his children. I am a recovering cancer survior and my 18 year old stepson is no longer bearable. He does nothing but drinks and drugs all day. He comes in all hours of the night slamming doors, whistling, causing diturbances with others etc.. Is there a way to evict him. My husband and I are both legal owners of the house.
If your husband agrees with the eviction, it's simple. He is a legal adult. Give him a time limit to find a place to live, say 30 days should be long enough.
At the end of that time, change the locks, get a restraining order if neccessary, and tell him to stop by for a visit if he ever gets his act together.
Being nice to him is what caused your present situation. You have to be hard and not worry if he has to live on the streets. He chose the path, let him find out how hard life is. He is already ruined, don't make it any worse by giving in to him when he cries because he has no place else to go.
It's all up to you, be tough, or be stuck with a loser forever...

Old 03-21-2009, 05:14 PM

17 posts, read 57,130 times
He is 18 time to shape up or ship out...Try the military! You need to take care of you and your husband.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 68,598 times
I agree with Donn2390- if both you and your husband agree then it should be easy. Just give him notice and when the time limit is up, if he's not gone, put his belongings outside, change the locks and let him know that it is for his own good so that he can learn to take on responsibility since living at home seems to be hindering his success.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:26 PM

Default Thanks--but its gotten worse

I appreciate the advice--the problem is my husband. He wont do anything--literally. He can not confront, correct or discipline his children. We have raised them for 14 years. After I got sick with cancer, the teens behavior became worse. The stress was so unbearable--again--because my husband would not step up and do anything--that I moved out for a few months in order to stop the deterioration of my physical and mental well being. I run a pet service and the teen is intentionally creating dangerous conditions for the animals I keep as well as ourselves. I.E. Leaving the gates open, leaving the burners on on the stove and multiple other things. Even today!! The teen laughed--and said "Oh ,My bad?"I called my husband (who is busy going out every night) and told him again of the problems and all he said was "Well I'll talk to him". Its ridiculous and out of control. I know there are different types of restraining orders--but am not sure if the "rules" for them apply in my case. I worry all the time. My pets, my clients pets, If my house will be burned to the ground when I get home etc..Please help!! Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,535,693 times
My sister who is quite the addict attacked my mother.
I pushed her out the front door and called the police. They told her she had no rights in her parents home. Judy is 46.
You might want to stop by a police station and bend their ear.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
[i] think you need a lawyer for this one. I am not sure any of us are able to give you a correct answer...It really is a tough one if your husband won't take any action..Does he still live in the house??

Nita

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Yes, he does. After the incident yeaterday--I called him--dont know why i bothered--and he said Well, Ill talk to him again. Of course he didnt get home until after 9pm and had been drinking. He is no help whatsoever. I didnt raise these kids this way. They had discipline , chores , rules etc.. Once the father was told he had to take over and correct the insurmountable stress his kids were giving his sick wife--he decided to bail. On me and them quite frankly.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,535,693 times
Reading your first post again. If you are separating, take the house or move. I tried living with my ex, after a few weeks I asked her to move out.
I would personally play hardball with the kid. The law has zero tolerance with 18 year old drinking, call the law on him. Tell him you will be reporting his friends he drinks with to the law. If caught drunk he will lose his drivers license till 21. The idea is to create the home life too responsible for him to remain. That or he sobers up.
Time for the kid to couch surf somewhere else.

Reading again I see the father may not live in the house. Just tell the dad and kid you have called the police, that may be enough to get him out.

Last edited by ferretkona; 03-24-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: read again

Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Default Restraining order on the way!! THANKS

Saw an attorney today. We will file an emergency civil restraining order. The teen will be notified by phone by Thursday noon and will have a court date for this Friday AM. I have started taking the advice of the last reply. Anytime one of their friends is over--I ask them to leave. Over the last week== the friend ratio has dropped dramatically. Now I just have to protect my car etc.. once he has been legally kicked out. It definitely is a matter of taking authority over the negative circumstance. If the order is denied--I wont keep any pets here anymore and my husbands alimony will go up. Then the choice is back on my husband. The teen goes or he pays.
I appreciate all your advice. Lift me and my situation up in prayer. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
View detailed profiles of: