U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 AM

45 posts, read 73,770 times
Question How would Moreno Valley be for a disabled 80 year old?

Hi Californians.
We're out of California now, and have been gone for many years.

We used to live in Moreno Valley. We left in the early '90's, and have been scouring the board reading various posts trying to figure out what it's like now.

Our elderly aunt who is in Delaware now, has been recently widowed and wants to move back to Moreno Valley by herself and buy a small house. She's aware of the lowered prices now, and thinks she can get a 700 or 800 sq foot house to live in by herself for under $85,000. (We've seen several foreclosures online near that price in the area.)

Not sure if this is really possible for her to do, or if it would be a good idea.

She is almost 80 and is nearly blind.
Very independent, but low income.
(Under 15K per year.) But, has the money to buy a house in that price range. Her needs are simple, so financially, she'd be OK if she could find a lower priced house.

What we are worried about is that she would be moving into a neighborhood that is full of investor owned or abandoned or blighted properties.

And, we are concerned for her safety.
We would be her closest relatives, and we live in New Mexico. There wouldn't be anyone there to help her.

But, she really, really wants to move back to Moreno Valley and this is obviously her last chance.

Does anyone live near the neighborhoods where an occasionally foreclosure has sold for under $85,000? Would you recommend this for her?

She used to live in Sunnymead Ranch, but obviously - in her low, low price range - she would have to find a foreclosure in the south end or central part of the city.

We are trying to talk her into moving near us, or even staying in Delaware - but she wants Moreno Valley!

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:30 PM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
I shudder to think how big a target a nearly blind 80 year old woman by herself would be in a neighborhood with $85k foreclosures.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM

Well, that's what we're wondering about, EscapeCalifornia.

If one or two houses are really that cheap, how would the rest of the neighborhood be? If the house next door that's not a foreclosure is worth 300 thousand, we're wondering what the problem would be if she could find one of the few that are really, really, cheap. It wouldn't be the whole neighborhood at that price. Because I know Moreno Valley is much nicer than that.

We also think she might be a target, too and are trying to talk her out of it.
But, told her we could check the idea out as best as we could from far away.

Thank you very much for your feedback, because I have a feeling that is exactly what would happen and that you are 100% right.

Anyone else???

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM

740 posts, read 1,019,533 times
I have to agree with EscapeCalifornia. I feel some would target her pretty fast once they knew she was alone. I used to live in Moreno valley a few years ago and it was alright when we first bought. There are some areas north of the 60 freeway that are ok. But the homes will be a little more. If you found a home for 85,000 then I would be afraid of what type of neighborhood she would be in. If she has to move to that area I would find her a Senior housing unit somewhere and that way she wouldn't be completely alone and by herself. My in-laws live in one in San Bern. that is very safe and gated. And I didn't want them moving there because of the area. But it's all right.
But I still feel she would be safer close to you and family.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,726 times
I don't know ... she is 80 years old.. will be living by herself...
who's going to care for her in Moreno Valley.? Talk her into not living to California...
she needs to be closer to her family and friends...

We are moving to Moreno Valley in 2 months..
I found a good real estate agent he is good person he help me find my home...
take care and good luck... if you need his information I will email him that info. He is located in Santa Margarita, Ca

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull Dawg View Post
Hi Californians.
We're out of California now, and have been gone for many years.

We used to live in Moreno Valley. We left in the early '90's, and have been scouring the board reading various posts trying to figure out what it's like now.

Our elderly aunt who is in Delaware now, has been recently widowed and wants to move back to Moreno Valley by herself and buy a small house. She's aware of the lowered prices now, and thinks she can get a 700 or 800 sq foot house to live in by herself for under $85,000. (We've seen several foreclosures online near that price in the area.)

Not sure if this is really possible for her to do, or if it would be a good idea.

She is almost 80 and is nearly blind.
Very independent, but low income.
(Under 15K per year.) But, has the money to buy a house in that price range. Her needs are simple, so financially, she'd be OK if she could find a lower priced house.

What we are worried about is that she would be moving into a neighborhood that is full of investor owned or abandoned or blighted properties.

And, we are concerned for her safety.
We would be her closest relatives, and we live in New Mexico. There wouldn't be anyone there to help her.

But, she really, really wants to move back to Moreno Valley and this is obviously her last chance.

Does anyone live near the neighborhoods where an occasionally foreclosure has sold for under $85,000? Would you recommend this for her?

She used to live in Sunnymead Ranch, but obviously - in her low, low price range - she would have to find a foreclosure in the south end or central part of the city.

We are trying to talk her into moving near us, or even staying in Delaware - but she wants Moreno Valley!

Thanks in advance
Private message me please. I can help. Thanx

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Flo2900, I sent you a PM. Thanks in advance.

And, Blue Eyed Cat and Matute, thank you for your feedback, too.

We had never really thought of the situation of her being a target until a couple of people said that today. That thought really shakes us up.

Somebody would really hurt an 80 year old almost blind lady?

We were more thinking along the line of helping her return to a place she really liked and for her to be able to spend the rest of her life in California.
We all remember Moreno Valley as being a beautiful place.

I don't think it would be possible for us to find her a place north of the Freeway with her price range, though. I had forgotten when we moved to Moreno Valley in the late 1980's, we were told to look only north of the Fwy, which we did. That's where she lived, too. We were all in Sunnymead Ranch.

This idea is starting to look more illogical and impractical by the minute....

Pit Bull Dawg

Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull Dawg View Post
Somebody would really hurt an 80 year old almost blind lady?
Of course. Criminals like easy targets.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM

We had a long talk with our Aunt and explained to her what people are saying.

We told her we agree with them, and strongly encouraged her to think over the idea very, very carefully.

She has decided to stay in Delaware, near her daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties