Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,379 times

Advertisements

Trying to stay below $300,000. I have looked around and found there are alot of homes under that, which is very reassuring. But we are planning to rent for a bit prior to buying. Not sure where the jobs will be. Hubby wants to work in LA, but the commute is long. We have alot to work out before moving job-wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 01:35 PM

107 posts, read 580,132 times
there are a few for under 300k. remember to stay away from railroad tracks around 8th street. that one is active. unless it doesn't bother you.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,057 times
I have to agree with Hummingbird 3.
As a background... I'm female, a mom, wife, prior military, "local"
I grew up here and if you don't have $$$ it can be stressful as a kid/teen, especially in high school.
We are actually getting ready to MOVE from here, and California. I have lived in many places due to my time in the military, and really don't like Upland anymore... or California for that matter, mainly due to my personal pref's. Being a mom, conservative and more down-to-earth, I don't feel I fit in here anymore... but many of my friends/family would DIE before leaving this area.
If you can, move north of Foothill Blvd, way west of Campus (until you are north of 16th/"Baseline").
Look at the Upland Unified School District's website to see the different schools... Stay far, far away from Upland Elementary, and Upland Junior High. The farther "up the hill" the school is, the better, even if you have to drive your kids yourself, it is well worth it. Sad but true.
As for the weather... it's nearly boring, to me... no true seasons. It's summer... then you look outside and the leaves have fallen and it's all of the sudden sort of winter... if you can call it that. I love autumn... and you only feel like you get a taste of it, for like a week. It is not uncommon to wear shorts and a t-shirt up through Halloween. I've worn shorts through Thanksgiving and Christmas, even!
I'm just sour on the area and California in general... but, it's another view.

Pros: less than an hour (even less, depending on traffic) from the beach/lake/snow.
Plenty of cultural-type events, music, and food.
Shopping is pretty great, too.
Plenty of educational opps... Chaffey Community College, Mt Sac CC, Citrus College, Azusa Pacific, the University of LaVerne, all the Claremont Colleges...

Cons: traffic, smog, aggressive people, cost-of-living, MAJOR state & education budget issues

Good luck with your move.
Even though I sound negative, there are many people I know that LOVE this area and would never leave.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith001 View Post
I grew up here and if you don't have $$$ it can be stressful as a kid/teen, especially in high school.
We are actually getting ready to MOVE from here, and California. I have lived in many places due to my time in the military, and really don't like Upland anymore... or California for that matter, mainly due to my personal pref's. Being a mom, conservative and more down-to-earth, I don't feel I fit in here anymore... but many of my friends/family would DIE before leaving this area.
If you can, move north of Foothill Blvd, way west of Campus (until you are north of 16th/"Baseline").
Look at the Upland Unified School District's website to see the different schools... Stay far, far away from Upland Elementary, and Upland Junior High. The farther "up the hill" the school is, the better, even if you have to drive your kids yourself, it is well worth it. Sad but true.
As for the weather... it's nearly boring, to me... no true seasons. It's summer... then you look outside and the leaves have fallen and it's all of the sudden sort of winter... if you can call it that. I love autumn... and you only feel like you get a taste of it, for like a week. It is not uncommon to wear shorts and a t-shirt up through Halloween. I've worn shorts through Thanksgiving and Christmas, even!

Pros: less than an hour (even less, depending on traffic) from the beach/lake/snow.
Plenty of educational opps... Chaffey Community College, Mt Sac CC, Citrus College, Azusa Pacific, the University of LaVerne, all the Claremont Colleges...

Cons: traffic, smog, aggressive people, cost-of-living, MAJOR state & education budget issues

Even though I sound negative, there are many people I know that LOVE this area and would never leave.
and almost totally agree with you. We would not go back to California, but there are lots of positives and we have many friends who would never leave the state, especially the E.San Gabriel Valley.

Nita

Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,975 times
I also agree with Meredith001. I live in southwest Ontario next to Chino about 4-5 miles south of Upland. If you move to Upland above Foothill Ave. would be best-but the homes-even the 'cheaper' nice ones are now about $395,000 and above. Most that I looked at were around $400k-$550,000. I don't know about the schools-I don't have kids-but in terms of housing prices, and geographically speaking, the city of Chino is not bad! I like it. There are lots of trees, tons of nice new restaurants and shopping (Chino Hills in particular-next to Chino). Chino is a fairly close drive to Corona, Orange County, and within reason to Pasadena and LA. I know a lot of people who drive to those places everyday. Chino has a nice, small town feel to it. Upland is very pretty I think, but can be a bit pricey. However, living in Upland would place you closer to the 210 freeway which would be a faster drive into LA, versus living in Chino/Chino Hills area and having to take the East-West 60 Fwy and North-South 57 Fwy to the 10 or the 210 Fwys. I have never lived in these areas, but perhaps you could consider some of the towns that line the mountains and the 10 and 210 Freeways heading toward LA (Glendora, Pasadena to name two that I can think of). Much closer to LA!

Last edited by IDreamofMovingSomeday; 09-13-2009 at 11:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,390,428 times
The only thing I remember about Upland is that its a bit costly, more of the higher-end people live out there (they can afford to). But it s pretty decent if you can afford it.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:32 AM

113 posts, read 427,593 times
Default RE: my friends/family would DIE before leaving this area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith001 View Post

I left CA and came to Dallas TX 2 years ago and aint going back BUT I do understand what you mean about friends and famiy not wanting to leave. Best move ive done in my life, Sold in Montclair CA right before home prices where going down

Old 09-20-2009, 06:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird3 View Post
If you have kids, they will either make friends with the rich kids, or hang with the "poor" kids. In Upland, there isn't much in-between. But that's becoming true everywhere.

Yep, good post and I agree.

Well, I'm self employed and I had a few contracts in Upland, also my friend with his wife and child lived in Upland so I would go and visit them after my work was done just to shoot a breeze.

So in regards to Upland, the desirable place to live was up around the 210 freeway. My guess is that area use to be nothing but orange groves so it's really nice back in there. However, coming from the 210 once you drive down, say, Euclid Ave to the 10 freeway the landscape just changes where you will see many homeless people around the freeway exits, and overall, the shopping centers and gas stations are not really well kept up and clean. So if you can afford it, (which seems to be the theme today to live in a decent neighborhood) just stay up around the 210 freeway area and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties