Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:16 PM

372 posts, read 576,032 times

Advertisements

Posted earlier in San Diego Forum:

My husband and I live up in the Bay Area and are heading down
to check out your area as we consider relocation in our retirement.

Early in our marriage, we lived in North SD County, and I don't
recall snakes, scorpions, coyotes, or anything of that nature in the little
tract we lived in way back 30 years ago.

However, I thought I'd just check your area and see if these critters may
be of concern. We have 3 dogs, and while we don't leave them outdoors,
I do want to be aware of anything i have to keep an eye out for.

I understand coyotes get pretty aggressive, so that is worrisome, but rattlers scare me,
too. And as a native Texan, I just hate scorpions, period.

Specifically we are looking at Vintage Hills and at west Murrieta.

Am I being overly concerned? Y'know, like people in other parts of the
country often are about our earthquakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:39 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
Posted earlier in San Diego Forum:

My husband and I live up in the Bay Area and are heading down
to check out your area as we consider relocation in our retirement.

Early in our marriage, we lived in North SD County, and I don't
recall snakes, scorpions, coyotes, or anything of that nature in the little
tract we lived in way back 30 years ago.

However, I thought I'd just check your area and see if these critters may
be of concern. We have 3 dogs, and while we don't leave them outdoors,
I do want to be aware of anything i have to keep an eye out for.

I understand coyotes get pretty aggressive, so that is worrisome, but rattlers scare me,
too. And as a native Texan, I just hate scorpions, period.

Specifically we are looking at Vintage Hills and at west Murrieta.

Am I being overly concerned? Y'know, like people in other parts of the
country often are about our earthquakes?
Yes, the Temecula/Murrieta area has ALL those critters, and many more!

But you don't have to be afraid of them. Part of the charm of living in "edge" cities is being close to nature.

Do a little research on how to protect you and your pets at home and on the trail, and you'll do fine.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
I have never seen a scorpion, doesn't mean they are not here but I haven't seen them. Most yards are fenced around here so I don't worry about the coyotes. I have seen a coyote on the golf course a few times midday and also running down a street but usually you dont see them in the day time. We do hear them every night in Southern Temecula during the summer when we have the windows open. I have never seen a rattler in the housing tracts either. Yes I do go outside a lot, take my daughter to the park etc. I am currently sitting on my back patio as I type this. I see rattlers when we go hiking but have never seen them in my yard or anyone else's. Black widows I see every summer.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
A local Murrieta park put up signs warning people about rattle snakes. I don't recall ever seeing these in Orange or LA county.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM

10 posts, read 22,978 times
What have a skunk that lives behind our house in Temecula and a racoon the size of a small dog that hangs out in our backyard. They spotted a mountain lion in San Marcos, but that's a good distance from Temecula.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM

73 posts, read 184,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
A local Murrieta park put up signs warning people about rattle snakes. I don't recall ever seeing these in Orange or LA county.
I don't know if you mean you don't recall seeing snakes or just the warning signs for them around the LA area, but there are "watch for rattlesnakes" signs at a couple of parks I've been to recently, one off Mulholland and one in Simi Valley. I don't think they're uncommon, and even if the signs aren't there, the snakes are.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
As I said in the SD thread:

I encounter rattle snakes on occasion here in Laguna Niguel/Aliso Viejo and into Laguna Beach. We also have coyotes and recently, a 90 lb. mountain lion, thought to have been gone from more coastal OC, turned up in Laguna Niguel. Story here.

Coyotes are all over the place on the OC side of the Cleveland Forest on the San Juan side, so I am guessing there have to be coyotes in Murrieta/Temecula.

Scorpions I have not seen but used to encounter in Escondido (15 miles from Temecula?) when I used to hike there.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
If you want to see scorpians during the day turn over some flat rocks or other ground cover. They are nocturnal. Go out with a black light at night, they glow.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 PM

372 posts, read 576,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
If you want to see scorpians during the day turn over some flat rocks or other ground cover. They are nocturnal. Go out with a black light at night, they glow.

GAH! I hope never to see another scorpion as long as I live. I can see a pest control contract in my future, down there.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
GAH! I hope never to see another scorpion as long as I live. I can see a pest control contract in my future, down there.
LOL... I think you're a little arachnophobic!

If you move to Temecula, you won't be shaking scorpions out of your boots every morning- you're not on safari!!!

It is a beautiful area, with California flora and fauna in abundance. Be respectful of the critters and their habitats, and you'll get along fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties