Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider the I.E. a big Suburb of LA?
Yes 22 51.16%
No 21 48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
All you have to do is look at the 91 or the 60 in the morning to realize IE is part of LA.
true the traffic is coming from the I.E. to LA or Oc County, then from OC or LA county To the I.E.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 AM

I think the better question should have been' Do you consider the I.E,. a big suburb, for the LA metro including Orange County?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:37 AM

80 posts, read 295,996 times
That's a tough question because as others have said, the IE is so large. I live in Rancho but when people not familiar with the region ask where I live I say the LA area, even though it's 40-50 miles from LA. For what it's worth...

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I guess we certainly have to forget about universities like La Verne, and Claremont. Of course UCR isn't in the league with USC or Cal Tech or UCLA< I am not so sure about Oxy. If what you are saying makes a location a suburb of another city, I guess us, here in NWA would be considered a suburb of Dallas or Austin. We don't have major league sports and only have the University of AR, not Texas, Texas AandM or the Mavs. Or maybe Flagstaff should be considered a suburb of Phoenix.. In my opinion your comparisons hold no water...

Nita
So what about the rest of my post?

Of course colleges have no bearing, just responding to that part of your post (along with each other part).

What if mayors and county leaders acknowledge that this is a bedroom community for those working on the coast?

Maybe not just for LA, but for sure it is a suburb of LA/OC/SD.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
29% of the Inland Empire works outside of Riverside or San Bernardino County. That is the HIGHEST rate of working outside a county in the ENTIRE country. I consider a suburb a bedroom community where people mianly live, but work in another area. No other area in the country has so many people doing a long distance commute. 15.8% of the Inland Empire works in Los Angeles County, 9.8% works in Orange County, and 3.4% works in San Diego County. Granted, most of the county doesn't work in Los Angeles but it is a signifigant number in my opinion that almost 2/5 residents in the Inland Empire are going to L.A., San Diego, or Orange County. To those of you who said the I.E. is totally sefl sufficient, tell that to the roughly 30% that need to drive to work in another county everyday. Why on earth do you think there is traffic on the 210, 60, 10 and 91 west in the morning and east in the evening??? Magic?

http://www.trpi.org/PDFs/IE.pdf
I Agree with Missionhome, It depends on your defenition of a suburb.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Yes, the truth hurts. Same deal for OC and a large part of Ventura Co.

In the Bay Area, many are also in denial regarding the true extent of SF's burbs.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I still do not think you have to go into Los Angeles for anything if you live in the IE, or for most things that is. Again, we can call almost anywhere a burb of someplace else.

As for have said, it depends on how you define burb first and where in the IE you are talking about. The IE takes in so much land and there are so many cities and towns I just don't understand how it can be called a suburb of Los Angeles, or San Diego. Upland to Los Angeles, yes but not Apple Valley. That is just an example. Things like not having professional sports has nothing to do with a place being a suburb or not being one and this is coming from, probably the biggest female sports fan in the country (well not quite, but Lord knows I do love my teams)

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer to the question, it is just opinion, but that keeps these boards. If we all agreed how dull life would be.

Nita

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 AM

24 posts, read 52,138 times
Depends I guess if you live there or here in LA. I have seen IE vastly deteriorate since all of my kids were born in the early '60s in San Bernadino. I heard SB was called the crack/meth capital of California recently... We in LA consider "The valley" (San Fernando Vally) a "burbs" I guess. I live in Camarillo - WAY out in the non-burbs I guess to the north

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Seeing how it's between 30min to an hr from LA or OC or SD...it's a suburb of LA/OC/SD.
Well if it's gotta be a suburb of something...I choose SAN DIEGO!!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM

Not that the whole I.E. is just one giant suburb of La, just some cities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties