U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:21 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,338,892 times

Advertisements

UC Riverside has a good science program. It might depend on what you are studying? UC Irvine is very good for the medical field, and about an hour (more or less depending on traffic) from Riverside.
CSU San Bernadino has been mentioned, and I believe there is a Cal Poly Pomona, also about an hour away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:19 PM

107 posts, read 341,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
That's where I have a place to stay.
as in, you already found a rental place, or you have a place to stay for free?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 PM

107 posts, read 341,408 times
what's the biggest expense?

out of state tuition (lower this by establish residency, sponsor, relative with water bills, scholarship, job)

rent (lower this by living with relative, renting a room instead of apartment)

car (live closer to avoid buying a car and paying insurance and parking, or buy a cheap car hence lower insurance cost, learn how to ride a motorcycle)

food (quit $moking if you're a smoker, go to beer parties ONLY when they have free beer, ethnic markets such as asian or hispanic markets have food for cheaper, don't eat out at all, or often, learn how to cook if you dont know how)

get a job on campus or close by. even at minimum wage, you'd be surprise how useful $50-$100 a week income is.

get a boyfriend. rephrase, get a rich boyfriend (good luck with that in riverside). boyfriends pay for a lot of stuff. if you know how to milk the relationship, you might be able to avoid "getting a job". this applies to both boys and girls, good looking or not, doesn't matter, its riverside.

if you're a straight male or gay female... leave your GF in FL. Also, avoid getting into relationships.. girlfriends are expensive.

good luck.

CSUF, CGU, UCR grad.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 PM

331 posts, read 810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggie View Post
what's the biggest expense?

out of state tuition (lower this by establish residency, sponsor, relative with water bills, scholarship, job)

rent (lower this by living with relative, renting a room instead of apartment)

car (live closer to avoid buying a car and paying insurance and parking, or buy a cheap car hence lower insurance cost, learn how to ride a motorcycle)

food (quit $moking if you're a smoker, go to beer parties ONLY when they have free beer, ethnic markets such as asian or hispanic markets have food for cheaper, don't eat out at all, or often, learn how to cook if you dont know how)

get a job on campus or close by. even at minimum wage, you'd be surprise how useful $50-$100 a week income is.

get a boyfriend. rephrase, get a rich boyfriend (good luck with that in riverside). boyfriends pay for a lot of stuff. if you know how to milk the relationship, you might be able to avoid "getting a job". this applies to both boys and girls, good looking or not, doesn't matter, its riverside.

if you're a straight male or gay female... leave your GF in FL. Also, avoid getting into relationships.. girlfriends are expensive.

good luck.

CSUF, CGU, UCR grad.
That's almost like life advice..hahaa..I know how to get by in life..I was asking specifically about the expense of living in California! I will be staying with a relative in a shared apartment thats fairly affordable to begin with, so cost of living is not a big issue as far as expense goes. That would pretty much be taken care of..I was just curious about the rest. Is it the cost of rent & mortgages that makes everyone say "California is expensive"? Because we have that in Florida too, but other expenses such as food and fuel are rasonably affordable.

But what do you mean lower tuition rates by having a relative who has water bills? Whats that about?

Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM

489 posts, read 856,262 times
Default Ucr/csusb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Thanks for your input! Well, since you say there isn't much to pick from for higher education in I.E., do you think it would be practical and feasible to attend a college outside of the area, or would the commute be too far by living in Riverside?
Without commuting to LA, UCR and CSUSB aren't bad options. I've heard good things about the Business Administration and MBA programs there. Of course if you want a degree from a place with a "name," you're talking USC or UCLA and I definitely wouldn't recommend the commute from Riverside. UCR has been growing by leaps and bounds the past few years, both in terms of enrollment and physical facilities.

It sounds like you're ready to make the jump to a 4-year university, but Riverside City College and Chaffey College (my wife just retired as a professor) are pretty good. Not sure about San Bernardino Valley College any more.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:15 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,140,627 times
Someone mentioned Cal Poly Pomona. That would be your best choice for technical disciplines. It will be a small commute, but it's a great school and probably the third closest on after UCR and CSUSB

Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 3,568,078 times
There's also University of Redlands.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 PM

489 posts, read 856,262 times
Default Good point about Cal Poly-Pomona

I recall that their School of Business has a good reputation. I majored in Computer Science there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties