U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,282 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to one of these cities. I have researched all three and each seems to have its pros and cons. We are looking for a safe, family friendly environment. I realize this probably exists to some extent in each city, but which one would you choose and why? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:03 AM

252 posts, read 1,092,656 times
Cerritos: excellent schools, very expensive homes. closests to metro.
La Habra:depends on where it is. south of Imperial, near golf course is very nice but very expensive. consider neighboring cities (Brea, Fullerton, La Mirada).

I lived in this area almost 25 yrs.

Redlands is considered one of the best for IE although I've never been there.

If you can afford it, stay in OC

Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM

491 posts, read 2,203,892 times
Cerritos is nice. It has a good tax base due to a big mall, auto square and such. So the streets and landscaping are kept up. Schools are good. Lots of Korean immigrants have moved there - they go where the good schools are. So you have Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese restaurants and stores.

Cerritos also has a nice performing arts center. Lots of new shopping centers. Right off the freeways. The weather is nice there too. When I wake up to cold gloom here in my beach town, I visit my girlfriend there and it will be sunny. (And she has a pool. Hehe.)

I wouldn't say VERY expensive homes - less than the coastal towns, more than further inland perhaps.

I don't know about La Habra or Redlands.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:19 PM

3,178 posts, read 14,114,910 times
Redlands is nice and more affordable (we are looking at moving there) the problem is it's surrounded by the rest of the Inland Empire - which is yucky

Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 PM

35,395 posts, read 20,048,308 times
I grew up in Cerritos, so I probably won't be very objective in saying that I like Cerritos the best. Cerritos is a clean, well-kept, progressive city (I often compare it with Irvine in Orange County) with good schools, large retail base (Los Cerritos Center and Cerritos Towne Center), the Cerritos Auto Square, the Center for Performing Arts and a VERY nice public library. The city has a large Asian population, as PureHapa mentioned.

La Habra is nice south of Imperial Highway, but as snb3 mentioned, the nearby cities of Brea, Fullerton and La Mirada would also be good choices.

I can't comment on Redlands since I've never been there, and have no reason to go out to the Inland Empire. I would imagine that during the summer it can get quite hot.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,356,457 times
Redlands is a very nice community near one of the best medical facilities in the country next door at Loma Linda. While many cities in the Inland Empire have gotten a bad rap this city stands out as one that remains relatively crime free, good schools, high property values and quick access to most areas of so Cal (traffic notwithstanding). There are beautiful 100+ year old mansions and $700-800,000+ homes all over the city. Generally quiet with access to some specialty shopping. It is truly a gem amongst the rabble of the IE. The other cities mentioned are very nice albeit expensive communities to live in due to their proximity to Orange/L.A. County.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:23 PM

199 posts, read 683,185 times
Default Don't go there

I lived in La Habra for a number of years and most of my grandkids live there. I hate LH. If you do not live south of Imperial and east of Palm, forget it, you might as well be in a third world country (think Mexico) and before you all get ticked off at me, my grandkids are hispanic, the difference being that their grandparents (dads side) came here legally and worked their butts off to assimilate. The drugs and gangs in the central part of LH make it impossible to live a decent life. The schools suck and thank god, my grandkids attend in Fullerton. My ex-husband (20 years ago) used to call it GaudalLaHabra and it true. By the Brea side is okay and there are some nice homes east of Harbor, but west of Harbor and north of Imperial, YUCK!!!! Would not walk down the streets past dark. Gangs are rampant. Schools not great. The language is almost all spanish. Plus, if you are renting, and I do not care where you rent, plan on roaches. Never had roaches in my life until I lived there and I have not had any since I left there. There are a few small decent pockets in the other areas (west side) but the gangs still roam there. Cerritos much better as is Redlands (think commute for Redlands). But if you have any sense, stay away from the west and central areas of La Habra. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,980 times
you are out of your mind. my family moved out of la county to la habra to escape gang violence. "gangs rampant"? tell me where please? & in response to the 'guada la habra' statement. the city is prodiminently mexican there is no doubt about that. but just because it is doesnt mean all of them are gang members. & yes i am half mexican & half white & do not speak a word of spanish & i make out fine.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:13 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,750,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
Cerritos: excellent schools, very expensive homes. closests to metro.
La Habra:depends on where it is. south of Imperial, near golf course is very nice but very expensive. consider neighboring cities (Brea, Fullerton, La Mirada).

I lived in this area almost 25 yrs.

Redlands is considered one of the best for IE although I've never been there.
I second this post.

If you're going to work in the IE, pick Redlands. If you're working near Cerritos/La Habra(which arent too far from each other), pick Cerritos

Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 PM

983 posts, read 4,287,982 times
Lived in Redlands and great city to raise a family. Low crime and good schools. Cerritos has been my neighbor city for years, great city to raise a family also, Excellent schools. Many nice parks, plenty of shopping, close to 605 and 91 freeways. You are talking about two completely diff areas L.A. county and San Bernardino co. Now although La Habra like to think they are Orange county they actually fall under L.A. county unless that has changed since I left the post office in '02. But I know folks that live in La Habra, in great family neighborhoods that are diverse. I spent NY eve 07 at a house party in La Habra. There are million dollar homes in La habra but like some say I am sure there are the less than desirable parts.
I would say base yr decision on where you or spouse are going to be working. The commute traffic here is no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>