Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM

215 posts, read 985,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes View Post
My husband is getting stationed at fort irwin , because of limited houseing on base we might have to live in barstow or a surrounding town . We have a 6 year old son and a 8 month old daughter someone please tell me the only areas I should live(exact names) I need the name of towns and houseing places in towns we are looking to rent an apt but prefer to rent a house until we can or if we ever get to move on base. He gets stationed there Nov 10th . Me n the kids will be in fl with my sister until he can find us a place someone please help . I don't want to move to what seems like hell. I am scared for my kids as well as myself.
I GOT A PERFECT PLACE FOR YOU TRY SILVER LAKES ALSO KNOW AS HELENDALE VERY NICE COMMUNITY 20 SOUTH OF BARSTOW IT HAS 2 LAKES GOLF AND MORE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 05:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
If it's any consolation, people trash Hesperia, Adelanto, Apple Valley and Victorville for the same reasons.

I've spend a fair amount of time in Barstow and while Barstow's crime rate is higher than the Victor Valley area, I think the Barstow has a lot of potential. They're actually building a new hospital there.

The problem is that it's still too much of a drive for good paying jobs. Since the location adds another 50 miles for commuters ... it's not close enough to the better paying jobs in the San Bernardino and Ontario areas.

But ... once Victor Valley becomes more of a metropolitan area in its own right with better paying jobs then I think Barstow will actually become the next boom town. But it may take another ten years for that to happen.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
You can go onto the California state website and I believe there is a link to the state site of registered sex offenders....then you put in the city or zip and you get a general idea of where they are...every city has them, but i agree i would want to know what i was living next door too.

Maybe your husband can commute from Victorville. We drive from So utah to SoCal all the time...we stop at wienerschnitzel or del taco...had to get tires once at the goodyear store..other than that we buzz right through..the place scares me..

Old 10-14-2007, 01:35 AM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Spent many years in the Victor Valley, and there is no chance that within the next 10 years it will become its own metro area with commensurate job opportunities. For the next several years, it's going to be lucky not to go through a major housing correction. When it comes to Barstow, Silver Lakes is OK. Just rent from a failed flipper, and you'll be fine.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:51 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Spent many years in the Victor Valley, and there is no chance that within the next 10 years it will become its own metro area with commensurate job opportunities. For the next several years, it's going to be lucky not to go through a major housing correction.
Well .... that's what they said about Corona, Chino, Norco, etc. which, up until a few years ago were nothing but cow towns.

They're estimating that a million people will be living in Victor Valley in the next ten years. And, actually, the housing correction will probably make that happen because houses will be more affordable but, this time, only credit worthy buyers will be moving into those houses.

As far as commensurate job opportunities, that's true for unskilled labor. But for skilled labor, I'm already seeing much improvement. In healthcare, for example, nurses are making just as much as LA or OC nurses, even more in some cases. Wages are going up because they're building three new hospitals here, increasing demand for skilled workers.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-16-2007 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 AM

3 posts, read 14,729 times
Most cities got their good and bad but I havent any good parts of Barstow. For my money Silverlakes Oakwood and Hesperia would be the best bet. Oh and parts of Apple Valley.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 34,864 times
Oh god, If you can help it at all don't move here without a job . Every bad thing written here is rite on the money. My husband worked for the BUSD doing IT work for years and the schools are crap. we both now work on post and are being transfered out of state in Jan. This is a town where its not uncommon to see a woman in line behind you at the store in a dirty white shirt, (or supposed be white) , no bra and filthy kids. There are a few good people, In the 12yrs I've been here I've met a few. The good Jobs are at the usmc base or the army base at Ft Irwin. Nepotism is at both places.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,478 times
Default Good places in Barstow

To stokes:

"someone please tell me the only areas I should live(exact names) I need the name of towns and houseing places in towns [Barstow] we are looking to rent an apt but prefer to rent a house".

I lived in Barstow for 7 years. The area West of Barstow Road and South of Rimrock Avenue is the best. Barstow Heights, Silverado, College Heights, all are there. Home owners there included many decent people like physicians, businessmen and policemen. Since the town is small, everything is close by. I felt secure in that neighborhood.

I also lived in Silver Lakes which I would rate higher and with a good elementary school but you have to consider the additional time and gasoline you would have to spend to get there. No Walmart close. It takes about 20 minutes drive to get from Silver Lakes to Barstow (northeast) or from Silver Lakes to Victorville (southeast).

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 04:30 PM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 323.2

Barstow 595.3 539.1 593.7 591.6 for 03 04 05 and 06 over all rate.

Barstow has need of Jobs. choices for shopping things to do ect. Barstow does have the Community Collage going for it. I'm told you either work for the goverment at the base. Or you work a Mc Job in Barstow. You better like Wal-mart if you live in Barstow.

My son told me all the kids dream of one thing growing up in Barstow...Leaving.
Personally I like the Desert. But I did not have to live there , I just visted family. The desert on summer nights is wonderful. The area does not have Fire storm problems. Barstow is a good jumping off place , think Vegas , LA , Bakersfield. But to far to commute to said places.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 7,208 times
I lived in Barstow for 4 yrs while stationed at Ft Irwin (40 miles away). My wife is also from Barstow. It could be a real nice town, considering all the Government contractor jobs available, the large amount of stable military families, and two military bases. Plus the nice,though hot weather and comparably cheap California real estate. Plus you're only 2 hrs 45 min away from Las Vegas. I admit there is some problems, but they are not insurmountable, especially it the local government and the citizens display some civic pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties