Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 16,444 times

Advertisements

Planning a move into the area in the next six months.
We previously lived in Los Angeles (westside) for 10 years and relocated to New Orleans 1 month before hurricane Katrina. We have been through it ALL.

Now, two kids later, with a great job offer, California we come (again!)
We LOVE Socal!!!!!

But, I am in need of some advice (or persuasion) about the following:
1.How are the public schools? Do I need to enroll the kids into private schools? (Here in the big easy, tuition for two kids is approx $30,000-and you MUST go to a private school).
2. What great neighborhoods are close to Loma Linda without actually being IN Loma Linda?
3. Is there a 'gang free' area?
4. Is the smog that bad?

And this might sound crazy but I have a genuine concern:

5. Are there a lot of religious cults out there? (I have heard some things)

I loved living Los Angeles and I understand the traffic situation, the high prices, etc of southern California. Fine. But I don't want to raise kids in Westwood or Santa Monica. I want a 'small town' and community vibe.

We have lived in New Orleans for five years and although its 'authentic' and cheap to live here, we want away from crime and poorly run government. Is the inland empire just more of the same or is it a nice place to raise a family?

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 AM

31 posts, read 126,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califromnola View Post
But, I am in need of some advice (or persuasion) about the following:
1.How are the public schools? Do I need to enroll the kids into private schools? (Here in the big easy, tuition for two kids is approx $30,000-and you MUST go to a private school).
2. What great neighborhoods are close to Loma Linda without actually being IN Loma Linda?
3. Is there a 'gang free' area?
4. Is the smog that bad?

And this might sound crazy but I have a genuine concern:
5. Are there a lot of religious cults out there? (I have heard some things)
Here's my take:
1) I think the public schools are solid in Redlands. All California schools are getting hammered by state budget deficits, but the teachers are outstanding and there are good learning opportunities to be found here. I would send my kids to public schools in Redlands before I'd send them to private schools unless I was adamant about the kids receiving religious education as part of their formal schooling.
2) I don't know as much about Loma Linda, but the neighborhoods in most parts of Redlands and Yucaipa are both very nice. Prices can be a bit high in Redlands, though.
3) The gangs certainly aren't far away (i.e. San Bernardino), but they haven't set up shop and control the city like in other places.
4) The smog is bad. It is better than 10 years ago, but still is bad.
5) I've heard a lot about the cults on this board, but never seen one in person. There sure are a lot of traditional churches, though.

Overall, I think Redlands is one of the nicest places in the Inland Empire to raise a family! It has a very special feel to it. It is in the best sense of the word a community.

Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,065 times
What about Highland, that is a good are too right?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 16,444 times
Thanks so much for the information.
When on lived in Westwood, I never felt afraid being out alone at night, and wouldn't know what a gang or cult member looked like if I ran over one. I am just hesitant to compare my experiences there to what it might be like in the I.E.
I don't want the same environment as west l.a. because I have young kids now and actually prefer a smaller an 'sleepier' town.
Do you think the Redlands area is similiar to Arcadia or El Monte?
I am fairly familiar with that area.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
South and west in Redlands, adjacent to Loma Linda, is nice (older). Safe as can be to walk at night. Schools are solid if not spectacular. Highland is a ways from Loma Linda and has not aged well at all.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM

89 posts, read 201,693 times
I don't know much about the public schools in Redlands and Loma Linda but I know that the private schools are good and not as expensive as you mentioned.

I am not sure what you would think of as a great neighborhood but Grand Terrace is nice, as is Redlands. Redlands being my personal favorite. It has a great community feel and lots of things to do and be involved in. I think it would be a great place to raise a family. As a rule of thumb, stay south of highway 10 for better areas.

Loma Linda and Redlands are relatively safe. I was worried at first but the worst I have experienced is a couple stolen bikes. I visited a friend a lot in Westwood and I have always felt safer in Loma Linda and Redlands than there.

The first summer I visited here, the smog was pretty bad. That was about 3 years ago and it hasn't been that bad since. There are a few "I can't see the Loma Linda hills" days but not as many as the horror stories would have you believe.

There aren't any religious cults here in Loma Linda. People are being dramatic about Christian denominations that they haven't researched or know anything about. Or maybe they just don't know the definition of 'cult'. :] This town is full of normal, friendly, well-adjusted people. There is really no need for concern in that area.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:03 AM

1 posts, read 8,182 times
Redlands is the place to be that is why property remains well priced. There is a lot of money in Redlands and a good quality of people. South of the freeway is the best area the higher on the hill the better. Reche Canyon is trash stay away. It's on the other side of Loma Linda before you get to Grand Terrace (Highland is not a good choice either IMO). There is nothing appealing to me about either places and it would be a poor move to be there if you can be in the right parts of Redlands.

If you have the money Loma Linda Academy is absolutely the best. I would venture that at the very least 25% of my classmates are now doctors, the remaining are dentists, lawyers, and otherwise high achievers, and then there is me. I was actually quite intimidated by the level of achievment I saw evidenced at my class reunion.

By Cultists you are probably speaking about the Seventh Day Adventists. They of course are not...more like Christians who keep to themselves. In and around Loma Linda they are very very normal. In fact they tend to be good looking, healthy, and wealthy. Most are highly educated and tied in some way to the medical professions. They are people of course with all their faults but they are raised to be honest and good people. The worst that could happen to your child if you sent s/he to the Academy is that they would be surrounded by high achievers and unlikely to encounter drinking, sex, or drugs while attending. All said not too bad of a trade off.

Last edited by Crysto; 08-07-2009 at 03:14 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 05:32 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
What about Highland, that is a good are too right?
East Highlands Ranch is a nice area. It has been rocked by the housing crisis...since it is newer, but it's still as nice as Redlands and Loma Linda.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califromnola View Post
Thanks so much for the information.
When on lived in Westwood, I never felt afraid being out alone at night, and wouldn't know what a gang or cult member looked like if I ran over one. I am just hesitant to compare my experiences there to what it might be like in the I.E.
I don't want the same environment as west l.a. because I have young kids now and actually prefer a smaller an 'sleepier' town.
Do you think the Redlands area is similiar to Arcadia or El Monte?
I am fairly familiar with that area.
Parts are like San Marino, South Pas., Arcadia... All in all it's one of the few remaining true historic small towns in SoCal.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:17 PM

493 posts, read 1,446,885 times
We've lived in the area almost 35 years, and I would choose Redlands first if we had to stay in the area for retirement. Nice, small-town feel. State Street downtown seems to come and go, but it's a nice walk, anyway.

The only good place to live in Highland these days is East Highland Ranch. It's in Redlands school district instead of San Bernardino City, where students living in the older parts of the city would go. There are bargains to be had, as far as homes, in the Ranch these days.

Loma Linda is nice, but I'd choose neighboring Grand Terrace over LL. Your kids would attend Redlands schools if you lived in LL, but Colton district in GT - definitely not recommended.

Redlands resisted building a second high school, and they are now building a third. I would guess that it would serve East Highland Ranch.

Loma Linda is pretty much a Seventh-Day Adventist town, but I worry less about them than the preponderance of religious fundamentalists in the area. They have Loma Linda University, which has both a medical and dental college. Most of the doctors and dentists that we see are graduates of the university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties