Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 34,030 times

Advertisements

I have been unemployed for six months and have been takign unemployment. I'm probably going to attend a grad program soon but need help with the cost. Is it possible to collect unemployment while in school?

Even if I'm not suppose to colllect it, but I continue to do so while in school, what are the chances of getting caught? I'll probably attend a private university and take out loans, but is there any way to track it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 02:18 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
In California, "a person must be physically able to work, available for work and actively looking for work each week benefits are claimed."

So -- you can still look for work while in school, but what happens if you're offered a job? Not accepting an in-kind job (like the one you had before you were unemployed) could result in you losing your benefits.

I would suggest you ask the EDD

There's several ways to contact them without going to their office --
Contact EDD

Old 08-21-2009, 02:25 PM

46 posts, read 187,828 times
Wow.
My husband is a Marine. I kept asking him why he keeps his honor to defend such a selfish country. Why he devotes so much time away from family from lazy americans. His answer, for the future of the world, and my children. When I read your selfish email, I now understand where my MA college grad (we paid cash ) and put OURSELVES THROUGH SCHOOL, took longer but we have PRIDE AND HONOR.
Thank you for reminding me of the "all about me" America, while he is on a 7month tour to IRAQ.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I know for a fact in CA, you can collect unemployments benefits & be in school. I know someone who's doing this. One of the question the Employment Development Dept (EDD) asks for a continued claim is are you currently enrolled in school, so that doesn't matter. But, they still want you to be applying for amployment every week too...however, let's say your college classes are almost every day of the week where it's hard to be hired anywhere. EDD takes that into account, so you're more likely to be approved for benefits.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bake9696 View Post
I have been unemployed for six months and have been takign unemployment. I'm probably going to attend a grad program soon but need help with the cost. Is it possible to collect unemployment while in school?

Even if I'm not suppose to colllect it, but I continue to do so while in school, what are the chances of getting caught? I'll probably attend a private university and take out loans, but is there any way to track it?
are you for real? I think I smell a troll, but if, indeed you are really asking this question and planning on attending school especially a private univeristy, all I have to say is: you have to rate toward the top of selfishness!!! Unemployment is meant to help those who absoulutely are available to work but can not get a job. You can not legally do what you are suggesting, will you get caught? I have no idea. By the way, when are you returning to school? doesn't the new semester start in a week or so?

Nita

Old 08-21-2009, 08:05 PM

28 posts, read 68,370 times
We live in Omaha, NE and My son got laid off in June. We called and asked. They said maybe if he did online, but no way if he attended classes. They could not tell us untill he applies because several factors goes into deciding. Then I received an email from their online site, the answer was no!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM

858 posts, read 1,500,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
are you for real? I think I smell a troll, but if, indeed you are really asking this question and planning on attending school especially a private univeristy, all I have to say is: you have to rate toward the top of selfishness!!! Unemployment is meant to help those who absoulutely are available to work but can not get a job. You can not legally do what you are suggesting, will you get caught? I have no idea. By the way, when are you returning to school? doesn't the new semester start in a week or so?

Nita
With the job market the way it is, what is so wrong with wanting to go back to school while on unemployment? I see no problem with that at all, actually, it's a PERFECT time to go back to school. YOU pay into unemployment so might as well take advantage of what you paid into.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 34,030 times
Don't be so judgemental. Also, your argument is unsound. I have been absolutely availabe to work for the better part of a year and have been unable to find a job. Even if I attend school, I will still be 'absolutely available to work' (many people work full-time and go to school). Therefore, as far as you're concerned, I should be eligible for unemployment benefits.

There are literally millions of people in this country who are taking unemployment and just sitting around watching TV every day. Many of them aren't even bothering to apply for jobs. They may as well pay someone to NOT sit around and to get into a classroom and use his/her brain.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:52 PM

15 posts, read 208,343 times
I was under the impression that unemployment is really not supposed to be given to students; there is a different kind of aid available for those in school: Student Loans. Right??

Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 21,418 times
I feel that if you are already collecting unemployment and looking for work,which I am and haven't found anything.I would like to go back to school and get some training to get a way better job and or jobs that are in demand right now. I found out I had a cal grant and possible Pell grant, so this would really help me go to school and I wouldn't mind having a job! It's been almost a year this April and I would feel better about myself if I was going to school and had a job. Please people, call the EDD office and ask them. This is the best source. I did a lot of research online and found something called the Calif. Training Benefits Program. Call them at 1800-300-5616 from what I read you have to be approved. I'd advise not to register for school until you know the facts. As in "Don't lose your unemployment because of your own ignorance" You'll regret it,especially if that is the only income you are receiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties