Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 AM

9 posts, read 52,136 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move back to California w/ our two children. We lived in OC from 2005-2006 and ended up back in GA when we got pregnant for the 2nd time. We miss CA, but cannot afford to move back to OC. Temecula sounds good, but want to know a couple things:

How much are new homes going for now that there is a drop in housing?

What is the job market like for my husband - construction (superintendent)? He has recently changed careers, because of a slow in new home construction out here. Now, he is a project manager for a company that builds hand carved stone for high end homes and commercial. Is there a market for this in the Temecula area?

Any feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 09:48 AM

491 posts, read 2,290,370 times
I believe the new home builders will try to keep advertising similar pricing as last year - for marketing purposes - but will be more willing to negotiate since things have slowed down. They may be waiting to see what happens in high buying/selling season (summer).

Seems like things in some areas have just stalled - everyone's just holding their breath and waiting for the second shoe to drop.

As far as the construction specialty biz, I don't know about it firsthand except for doing some remodeling on my home. I do know that anyone trying to remodel or add on to a home is hard-pressed to find good contractors or even a handyman. The good ones stay busy and charge a lot.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your reply - appreciate it!

Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 PM

193 posts, read 1,402,943 times
From looking at the house ads in the papers...it seems to me that the homes in Temecula have come down even more so than homes in Murrieta and Wildomar. Perhaps because there are more of them on the market? But then again, as a whole the homes in Temecula are on a smaller lot so someone may be able to get a slightly bigger home but with a very small yard.

For the longest time I would post how congested Temecula is especially in comparison to us up here in Murrieta/Wildomar area. Well...we have definatly caught up. It actually seems there is less traffic in Temecula recently. It still is one congested, materlistic shopping mecca but at least I can get home within a half hour now. Perhaps people there are getting fed up and moving?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Thanks, my Mom had mentioned Wildomar also. She was saying how you can get bigger lots there too. She mentioned a well known subdivision called The Farm, in Wildomar. Are you familiar?

As far as traffic goes it seems no matter where you go now, there will always be that to deal with I guess. Do you know of any good realtors in the area?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:37 PM

The Farm is a community of manufactured homes.It's not quite a mobile home park and has a different feel than a builder subdivision. Some are nicer than others and the lots vary in size. My daughter has a friend who lives there and they have a huge lot, although most of it is really the driveway that goes up a small hill to their home. But within view of their property is another home that has quite a bit of open space. Still, most of the homes are on lots just big enough to hold the manufactered home.

Yes, there is traffic everywhere.But some of it makes more "sense" and is more tolerable....if you get my idea. There are plenty of people who regret buying homes in French Valley that are so far away from the freeway that it takes them a good 20 minutes to a half hour before they even get on it. That is in addition to the commute to wherever it is they work. But then again, the homes that are so close to the freeway that commuters can see into their back yards are not so desireable either. That is why I like where our house is....it's close enough to the freeway without seeing or hearing it.

And yes...in my neighborhood the yards are pretty generous. I live on .19 of an acre and that is considered a HUGE yard by most tract home standards.

As far as realtors go..I am in need of one myself soon. My family is ready to leave So Cal.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 AM

Wow, thank you for the info! I thought it might have been a long shot about you being familiar w/ The Farm. I know what you mean about the traffic - who wants to live so close that they can hear it/see it?!

hmmm are you going to be putting your house on the market soon? Let me know when, if so. My Mom actually just sold her house about 9 months ago, out in Romoland. I met her Realtor when I was helping my Mom pack up her things. In fact she had such a good experience w/ her that she is recommending me to use her as well. If you'd like I'll pass her info on to you, when I talk to my Mom next time I'll get her info.

Question: I read a statistic that the median age in Temecula is 31. Do you agree? My husband and I are 32 y.o.

Well thanks again!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times
FYI, I just moved from Murrieta to Michigan last summer. I lived in the area from 2000 and my wife from the early 1990's.
Temecula and Murrieta are great towns that offer good schools and low crime. Also much cooler in the summer compared to towns to the north, such as Wildomar. I personally wouldn't live north of Murrieta, because it's simply not as pretty to look at, plus it skews more "hick" when you go that way. Just keeping it real. If you don't care about deserty-feeling towns, then yes you can get cheaper housing north of Murrieta. If a more cosmopolitan type feel is important to you, and you can't afford the OC or LA or San Diego county, then I would definately recommend Temecula or Murrieta. My 3rd and 4th place towns to recommend would be Wildomar or Menifee, not necessarily in that order. They aren't too bad. Stay out of Hemet or Lake Elsinore.
Hope that helps! Just my opinion!
Oh yeah, almost forgot...yes, I would say you are around the median age. Peace!

Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 PM

I guess it makes sense that the median age is 31. You might have read (I think I did on other threads) that there is not much diversity in Temecula. What I tend to see are working couples, white, mostly conservative. And there are those who try to look like they are progressive...if you know what I mean. I guess that happens to us folks when we reach our 30s-we become more realistic with our ideals and form a more conservative world view but we don't want to look too old and boring . LOL.

You and your husband should fit in... I mentioned before that the typical woman in Temecula is one of those soccer mom types with pristine hair and nails done up spueezing into tight jeans with fake boobs driving an SUV with a cell phone constantly stuck to her ear. I admit that is kinda harsh and does not apply to all of them but you do notice that stereotype and it's kinda funny to see. But I have noticed that is kinda changing now. With the gas being over $3 a gallon there aren't as many SUVs. But mostly, it's a bedroom community with folks who commute to San Diego or ORange county. And if you ever want the opposite of that "upper class keeping up with the Jones' " look...just drive up to Lake Elsinore. (oh oh, did I say that?)

As for when our house will be for sale...I am hoping soon. We are just waiting to get word from the good old USMC. Could be a month or three months away. I hope I won't have as hard of a time selling our house as some folks are. YIKES!

Old 05-04-2007, 06:19 AM

That is really good to know that Temecula stays cooler than places like Wildomar! The heat is a slight concern, but we'll take dry heat over humid heat like we have here in GA! The more I'm finding out about Temecula and the surrounding areas, Temecula seems to be the winner! I just hope that we can find something as nice as we have now, for a fairly reasonable price. Our home here is 8 years old and areound 1700 sq. ft. Our price range is somewhere no more than 300.

My Mom used to live in Romoland (she has horses), but has since moved a little further into the country. We do not want to live in Romoland or anything like that, Temecula sounds really comparible to where we live here! We used to rent in Aliso Viejo (OC), but can't and don't want to live there - it's just too expensive! We definitely want to stay away from anything that has a "hick" feel. A little hick close by is ok though. Just worry about drugs, attitudes, class (want our children to be raised w/ class/proper) etc.

I've heard that Lake Elsinore is starting to get better. They are building a lot of track homes near there, but regardless I don't think that is where we want to be either. It would be nice to have the option to spend a day there, so another bonus for Temecula - there is water close by!

Appreciate your opinion and honesty! Wish us luck! Peace to you too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties