Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 11,805 times

Advertisements

Lived in Chino Hills for over a decade. Beautiful NEW FAMILY ORIENTED city. Rolling Hills & a State Park. Check out their website. New homes, good schools, many parks. Very diverse population as is most of southern california. Access to many freeways. There is nothing not to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 05:10 PM

62 posts, read 291,634 times
YES!, there is smog.

ALL of the LA basin is surrounding by mountains which trap car emissions & other air pollutants. You can easily confirm this by flying into Southern CA and seeing the orange dome of contaminated air from the airplane during the daytime.

Also, there are times of the year when the 'Santa Ana' winds blow; a hot, dry wind that brings in heavy amounts of polen from the Inland Empire area and makes for some intense allergy suffering.

The 'beautiful sunsets' you see in Southern CA are actually the effect of the sun shining thru this polluted haze.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 27,470 times
i know this is a little late to be posted, but just to clear up a few things. chino hills is a great place to live, it is inland so do not expect the beach. more than likely your house will be on top of a hill, most of the houses in chino hills are. so the smog doesn't just sit like it does in other inland cities, it moves along and most of the time goes without being noticed. don't get the two mixed up chino hills is different from chino, people in chino hills do not like to be considered chino, that's why they pay more for their houses!!! in my opinion (which i'm sure i share with many others) chino hills is the best city you could live in in the inland empire, after all it was rated one of the safest cities in the united states. i'm not sure but i think it was rated #20 out of 100.

it's not perfect so if that is what you are expecting, good luck. but it is one of the better places to live in so cal.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 37,778 times
Exclamation Smog in Chino Hills is terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyEvans View Post
My husband is being relocated to the Inland Empire and we know almost nothing about the area. We have three young kids, so we're kind of concerned about air quality. A friend of ours swears there's no smog in Chino Hills--anybody know if this is true? Any insights would be really appreciated. Jenny
As a resident of Chino Hills for over 10 years, I am very familiar with the area, and consider my self an expert. I bought a house in Chino Hills in 1993, brand new, at the end of cul-de-sac. It was a brand new, model, all furnishings included, Brock home.

The back yard was nearly a quarter acre. The scenery was and is still beautiful for the entire city. Originally, there was very little smog in the area in 1993. Butterflies wee every where.

As time went by, we noticed soot from car pollution beginning to collect on our window sills outside, and soot on the leaves. Certain insects became fewer and fewer in appearance. Butterflies soon ceased to be in the area.

Our first child was born in 1998, and our second soon thereafter. When they began to walk, and run, and play in the parks in Chino Hills, we noticed they were coughing from the same air pollution that woke us at night.

We lived in an upscale area where the homes were $800,000.00 and million dollar homes were just a block away. Neighbors have pools, etc.

We left the area in 2004, and moved to Las Vegas, NV. The air is not perfect here, but it is a lot better than Chino Hills, and we can play in the park without coughing, and we can sleep at night without having a coughing fit. Air pollution does not collect on our window sills here in Las Vegas.

I have witnessed the air pollution progress in SC for over 20 years before deciding to leave. The air pollution in Chino, Chino Hills, Ontario, CA, and Pomona, and nearby Brea, is very bad.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 65,538 times
I just moved from Chino Hills to Tx. My husband is in the military so it was definitely NOT by choice! My husband lived in Chino Hills for 27 years and I lived there for 16, I never noticed the smog! I lived in Carbon Canyon in the hills and I could see the smog over the Inland Empire but never any in our area. Good luck with the move, Chino Hills is a GREAT choice!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,289 times
I live in Chino and yes we have smog and the smell can be bad. Most of the dairies are moving out, but they still have them in Ontario/Corona. You'll notice it more on damp days.

They've built so many homes up in the hills, that the traffic is brutal. Schools are packed and some are better than others. Chino school district prides itself on excellent schools.

If you're buying, then look in Chino Hills. Upland, Rancho Cucamonga as they're nice areas and have more shopping.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM

875 posts, read 1,093,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeeee View Post
i know this is a little late to be posted, but just to clear up a few things. chino hills is a great place to live, it is inland so do not expect the beach. more than likely your house will be on top of a hill, most of the houses in chino hills are. so the smog doesn't just sit like it does in other inland cities, it moves along and most of the time goes without being noticed. don't get the two mixed up chino hills is different from chino, people in chino hills do not like to be considered chino, that's why they pay more for their houses!!! in my opinion (which i'm sure i share with many others) chino hills is the best city you could live in in the inland empire, after all it was rated one of the safest cities in the united states. i'm not sure but i think it was rated #20 out of 100.

it's not perfect so if that is what you are expecting, good luck. but it is one of the better places to live in so cal.
The color of your font makes it "very" difficult to read.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 AM

4 posts, read 39,547 times
Like anything else check the maps maybe AQMD (So Cal Air Quality Mgmt District-they're in Diamond Bar not far from Chino/Chino Hills) I can see the parts near 60 Fwy being a problem since lots of truck traffic, also some trains

forgot to say the 71 is starting to get more traffic-not much now but in ? years

Air Quality Levels

Last edited by chinoguy; 11-25-2007 at 06:31 AM..

Old 11-25-2007, 07:07 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Heck, are you kidding?? I live in the High Desert and every time we go 'down the hill' its amazing how awful the air quality is. There hasnt been one time we've gone down there for a day and not come back with our lungs so tight, cant take deep breath, the air is all (very brown and yukkie. Guess that people who live there dont really see it but you can definately notice the difference when you live up here. Even when wew lived in Ontario about 12 years ago it wasnt so great and we never noticed it on a daily basis until we moved to Az, there was a huge difference, we could actually see stars at night, breathe, take deep breaths, it was astonishing.
Coming from Az, I know that even in the metro Phoenix its bad, but not even to that extent.
Im not trying to put Chino or anywhere eles down, but simply stating my own experiences, as everyone will have different points of view.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 AM

22 posts, read 134,871 times
Smog today is nothing compared to what it was when I was growing up. The Kaiser Steel mill is gone and there are no more smudgepots to warm the orange groves in winter. To me, today the sky looks pretty clean. I grew up in the area. I have been away from it for a year (and the air is much worse here in Southeast Asia) but I can assure you the air now is cleaner than it was when I was growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties