Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 03:07 PM

39 posts, read 160,525 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lake Arrowhead area? I am looking at relocating from Long Beach within the next month. Safety, health care, and education are my biggest concerns. Also, I have heard that there is a huge drug problem with the teens up there, is this accurate? I'm sure it's everywhere to some degree, but I would like to find a family-friendly town/city for my kids. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 03:07 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb86
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Lake Arrowhead area? I am looking at relocating from Long Beach within the next month. Safety, health care, and education are my biggest concerns. Also, I have heard that there is a huge drug problem with the teens up there, is this accurate? I'm sure it's everywhere to some degree, but I would like to find a family-friendly town/city for my kids. Thanks!
I only visit there so I could not tell you about what you are asking. But, I will say to stay away from Crestline (to Arrowheads left). Big Bear (to Arrowheads right) is a great place. Don't live there but visit often and know a few people that raised their kids there and they love it and their kids turned out good. Wrightwood is another mountain comunity on the "other" mountain, west of the 15 fwy in the angeles forest. Small but feels very safe and has excellent schools, award wining snowline school district. The lots are flatter so you can get a good size yard. and not one trashy house in the whole town. I have been thinking on moving there because it seems like it would be a great place to raise a family (if I stay in CA).

Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,039 times
I currently live in Running Springs, but work in Lake Arrowhead at the high school! I think that there is definately a drug problem, but certainly not on the same scale as "down the hill". I think it is mostly due to the fact that the teens don't really have a place to hang out. If you keep an eye out and get your child involved, I think you will be fine.
As far as health care, I travel down for any medical issues. My family doctor is in Highland and I am very happy with him. As you are aware, we are always in danger of fire, road closures, etc., but I have found that the good outweighs the bad. Good luck to you!

Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the information It's so hard to pick the "right" place. I've been all over the map! I think i'll look into the wrightwood area next. Let me know if you have any more suggestions, I really appreciate the info.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:59 PM

To "looking for the perfect place"

Have you looked at Orange County? Really great schools, people,...but ridiculously expensive! I dont know your situation, but for a single parent it would be a strugle.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 7,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingfortheperfectplace
I only visit there so I could not tell you about what you are asking. But, I will say to stay away from Crestline (to Arrowheads left). Big Bear (to Arrowheads right) is a great place. Don't live there but visit often and know a few people that raised their kids there and they love it and their kids turned out good.
lookingfortheperfectplace, What are you basing your view of the mountains of if you have only "visited"? I have lived in Crestline for fourteen years and your statement is ignorant. Ib86, if you want to know what a town is like, go visit. I certainly wouldn't rely on anyone who has not lived in a community to give you advice. Better yet, go to removed to pose your question if you haven't already. It will give you a better insight to the San Bernardino mountain communities.

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2006 at 01:26 AM..

Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
I have lived in the IE for 36yrs. Never heard really anything bad about Big Bear, although, I do hear bad things about Crestline.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb86 View Post
To "looking for the perfect place"

Have you looked at Orange County? Really great schools, people,...but ridiculously expensive! I dont know your situation, but for a single parent it would be a strugle.
Hi, thanks but no thanks. We do alot of stuff in Orange County but it is overpriced. I don't want to pay $3000+ a month for a house. Nice place and people though. We have decided to move out of Ca in the spring. 30 years is enough for me. tired of the traffic and rude people.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse View Post
I only visit there so I could not tell you about what you are asking. But, I will say to stay away from Crestline (to Arrowheads left). Big Bear (to Arrowheads right) is a great place. Don't live there but visit often and know a few people that raised their kids there and they love it and their kids turned out good.

lookingfortheperfectplace, What are you basing your view of the mountains of if you have only "visited"? I have lived in Crestline for fourteen years and your statement is ignorant. Ib86, if you want to know what a town is like, go visit. I certainly wouldn't rely on anyone who has not lived in a community to give you advice. Better yet, go to removed to pose your question if you haven't already. It will give you a better insight to the San Bernardino mountain communities.
I have a vacation home in Crestline that I stay at often that I have had for about 14 years. So no I am NOT ignorant. You must have blinders on. I would never live there full time. and it has also been broken into twice.

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2006 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 PM

26 posts, read 84,090 times
My friend is in law enforcement stationed in Arrowhead and he is extremely busy every night with gangs, drugs and drinking. SB County's crime stats are high. Great weather though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties