Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times

Advertisements

I remember Del Fried Chicken...my friend's sister worked there...but I STILL say the first Del Taco was right next to it, on First St., & it's still there. My bf & I went there on Taco Night...10 for $1.00.

OK, so what building is Rosita's in? What was it before Rosita's moved in?

And what was the first "chain" fast food restaurant to come to town? And this was before that fake choo-choo train McDonald's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:39 AM

561 posts, read 319,223 times
Rosita's was Safeway. The church next to Rexall was Hartwick's Market....The old Rodman's, currently the Furniture Outlet was a Hartwicks too.

Uh,,,the first fast food chain?....I don't know...There was an A&W. With car hops..Foster's Freeze has been here for ever...I'm sure it wasn't the Firehouse Hat Dog....down by the Texaco next to the old McDonalds...That giant fireman's helmet in front of the Fire Department, that is now a 9/11 memorial, was the sign from that place. Or Swanky Pete's in Lenwood....Greasy Pete's as it was fondly known as....with the little Metropolitan Car Parked out front. Those two were local joints.

Too may things gone now to remember....If I remember right one the first Taco Bell's was here as well...and closed..Jack in the Crack has been here a long time too.
Back in the day...there were so many independent joints around here.....Another mom and popper was Jim's Char Broiler tucked away on the hill at Yucca and Main. between that motel and where the bank is now....

Old 06-26-2017, 01:41 PM

817 posts, read 752,939 times
Yucaipa is pretty awesome. Love the festivals, and the pumpkin patch outside of town

Old 06-27-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyManCrazy View Post
Rosita's was Safeway. The church next to Rexall was Hartwick's Market....The old Rodman's, currently the Furniture Outlet was a Hartwicks too.

Uh,,,the first fast food chain?....I don't know...There was an A&W. With car hops..Foster's Freeze has been here for ever...I'm sure it wasn't the Firehouse Hat Dog....down by the Texaco next to the old McDonalds...That giant fireman's helmet in front of the Fire Department, that is now a 9/11 memorial, was the sign from that place. Or Swanky Pete's in Lenwood....Greasy Pete's as it was fondly known as....with the little Metropolitan Car Parked out front. Those two were local joints.

Too may things gone now to remember....If I remember right one the first Taco Bell's was here as well...and closed..Jack in the Crack has been here a long time too.
Back in the day...there were so many independent joints around here.....Another mom and popper was Jim's Char Broiler tucked away on the hill at Yucca and Main. between that motel and where the bank is now....

Are we talking about the same place? Rosita's is in the old roller skating rink. There was only ever one Hartwick's, on E. Main across from what was the medical offices for Santa Fe, closed a long time ago. Foster's Freeze, I agree, same place forever. Jack-in-the-Box was the first big name chain fast food place.

You are right, though...lots of mom & pop places that folded. I still remember Ruth's Chili Bowl, & the Nanking, the Bun Boy, Katz Cafe, the El Rancho, the Beacon.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Naw...The present Rosita's is at the old Safeway on the hill. The location they moved to from where Union Bank is now..then they moved to where Von's is now. The roller rink ....at least the one I remember....was next to the old Barstow walk in theatre.....Across the street from Play-Mor...It is a Foursquare Church now. The Theatre was burned down years ago.
As for Hartwicks.....there were two in Barstow....one in Victorville...(maybe more) down in the hole where the old Victor Bowl was.

I still can remember the open beam ceiling in the Hartwick's across from the Santa Fe medical bldng, and the second one was on West Main where Rodman's furniture was at. Unless...I was so small...I imagined it. We seemed to shop a lot at Gullett's Market in Lenwood , Lassen's in Barstow and Upton's in Yermo. Then there was Dewolf's and Dillingham's in Barstow . Upton's is still open but it isn't a full variety store anymore.

The Chili Bowl was tore down and is gone. The Greystone Café is in ruins. The Frosted Mug in Daggett is gone..Harvard Station, long gone. Lloyd's Café on Hwy 58...is some private club now. Not too many left. Especially the old beer /burger/chili joints. Jimmy's Inn is still out in Hinkley....or whats left of Hinkley. Now they have been bypassed by the new 58 freeway. Desert Rats in Hinkley burned down years ago...Now the entire Market and Post office has been torn down.
I always liked The Steak Eaters, The Village and the Daggett Café. The Village is still going and I have heard the food is back to being very good.
The El Rancho Restaurant and Matador Room burned down a few years back. Bun Boy is gone, they tore it down and built a new medical bldng there. Never heard of the Nanking, the Katz is vacant. and we all know what they did to the Beacon.
Which in hindsight doe'snt seem so bad....tearing the Beacon down.....It would of probably burned down later, along with the rest of the old stuff in Barstow. Anyway, The Beacon Bowl is gone. It is either being tore down or remodeled for a new....MEDICAL BUILDING!!! The Kingpin Coffee Shop in the bowling alley was'n t bad either come to think of it.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:36 PM

I just know about Hartwick's because a fam member dated their son. I used to walk to Lassen's, it was near Lillian Park. Maybe I'm confused about Rosita's, it's been around so long. I knew that the movie theater & the El Rancho burned downed. The Nanking was Chinese food on W. Main, near the Bun Boy. I remember Steak Eaters. Is Idle Spurs around still? I think it was on Hwy 58, was too poor to eat there.

The Beacon was beautiful, old Spanish-style hotel. People were allowed to go in & take stuff before they tore it down. The coffee shop & bar & bowling alley remained, sorry to hear they're gone.

Please tell me Skyline Drive-in is still up. Good times there.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Yep...The Skyline is still going good. They spent a fortune to upgrade to digital. Yeah, that was thee place to go. Lots of smoking, screwing and drinking...and even a good old fashioned fist fight riot once in a while. I can remember going to the Bar-Len drive in theatre as well. That was at Lenwood Road and 66 in Lenwood. Idle Spurs is still open on Old 58. . During all these years, I've been there twice. I agree...a little too pricey for the experience. Yes, Lassen's was on Williams St. Down from Lillian. Then it was an A.M. Lewis Wholesale Grocery....like Smart and Final used to be, before they too closed and moved to a new Victorville location. Now...it is a church. That whole area....including the Williams Street Shopping Center is Ghetto. Then, Lassen's was on Irwin Road down from Brownies. It is now a Plata's Mexican food joint. Brownies is a "Valero" now.

I can remember people selling mahogany doors, crystal towel bars and all kinds of fancy fixtures from the Beacon. The tearing down of that hotel was a crime. Those mindless, greedy, idiotic,fools who ran Barstow, now get streets named after them.

Now, we are suppose to be getting a new First Street Bridge soon. They will tear the old one down. Replace it with the new one. We will see how bad the City can screw that up.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I remember the Bar-Len just a little, maybe saw one movie there.

So they are taking down the First St. bridge? Why? Anybody who has done their time there probably crossed it thousands of times. I remember standing on it with friends, watching a raging current of water in the Mojave River from a flash flood...don't know if that happens anymore. And I know that most of the cool old buildings from downtown where the businesses & restaurants, etc. used to be are either burnt down, torn down, or boarded up.

Well, the 2 people I cared about the most from there just died within 4 months of each other, so it seems fitting.

Just tell me there is NOT a Barney Keller Street...

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 06-30-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Yes, there is a Barney Keller Street. I **** you not. Silverwood Lake hasn't been released in a while so the river hasn't flooded in a while. The big flood of 1969 was a trip when they water started to crest the bridge. Nobody except a Barstow person knows what it is like learning to drive and going over the 1st street bridge for your drivers test. Nervous breakdown time. Or shutting one eye to eliminate the double vision from a night of partying....just trying to get over that damned bridge without going off the side! LOL.

It is what it is....I am thankful that I do not live in the city limits. Even tho living "out" seems to bring in the thieves. Just keep to yourself out of the bull**** clique of this awful town if you can. Barstow people are cannibals. And as long as I can remember, they always were.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 AM

Yeah, that's what I remember...that flood...I never forgot it...thought it was around that time. That was a magical year for me. And I DO remember going over the bridge for my driver's test.

You're right about the cannibals. I've been outta there for years...used to go back, but those I loved there are gone, too many trips for me out to Mountain View.

But if your roots are there, it never leaves you...part of me will always be there.

Except for Barney Keller Street...damn...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties