Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,782 times

Advertisements

I am in the military and recently recieved orders to Twentynine plams. I will be moving my wife and child with me and am wondering where would be a good place to live. I think DHS would be the farthest from base that I am willing to commute. Looking at real estate online it looks like YV and DHS have the most homes within our price range. Can anyone give me any ideas about what each town is like?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
Trust me - you don't want your wife and kid in DHS!!! That's just asking to be murdered. Yucca Valley is a safer alternative. There's a reason housing prices are cheap in DHS - that's where the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office drops off all their parolees. The place is loaded with gang bangers, drug addicts/dealers and child molesters.

Check it out for yourself. Go to mydesert.com | The Desert Sun | Palm Springs news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Palm Springs, California every day and you'll see what I mean.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM

30 posts, read 137,613 times
Yeah, DHS is horribly crime ridden.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,965,189 times
I concur with the others. DHS is full of gangs and crime. Yucca Valley would be your better option.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,714 times
My husband is also in the process of buying a house in Yucca Valley sky harbor area. We got orders as well, and moving in March. There are tons of houses (very beautiful) to worn out homes, in different price ranges. Joshua Tree also has nice homes (close to Friendly Elementary) which is one of the best schools i heard. We tried to buy in 29 Palms but the homes we saw (we felt) were pretty crappy looking and to pricey so we decided Yucca was probably the best area for us. Sky harbor by Onaga Elementary is very pretty with some beautiful new homes. Very nice communities around there.

Dont' know about Desert Hot Springs but when we were stationed in 29 5 years ago, I remember sometimes that highway to get over that hill would close for reasons I forgot, so we would be stranded and could't leave out of the desert unless we went through the national forest.

Anyways, our agent helped us find a home and showed us the best areas to live in, in all the towns there, best schools and we choose Sky Harbor area.

Good Luck
Carmen

And I mean best area- as in the most Desirable or Desired area to live in Yucca Valley. I think the also Western Hills Estate by the 247 has nice homes that is also considered desirable, however, I didn't want to be near a bunch of rocks..lol. But they have Million dollar homes are there..lol. I didnt see any trees either...lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 38,285 times
Here is an honest answer from a person who lives in Desert Hot Springs....well I just moved to DHS from Alabama...I think alot of pple on here are not telling the whole story abt.this place. First off there are only families here!!!! . Low income-middle income mostly hispanic descent. Yes some of the fathers are paroles, but said paroles have a lllooot of kids here So if you are white (I am) and you come from a white suburban sheltered community you won't like it here. If you already live in a low-middle income city this one isn't that bad. I am originally from New orleans, DHS is quiet and nice compared to N.O.. I have not heard a single gun shot since I have been here. <<<<<<>Pros- Houses are very cheap and surprisingly not very old! there is 2 large groceries, kmart starbucks and some fastfood..you are only abt 10 minute shoot to the airport, walmart, lowes etc in palm springs. There are several new parks for the kids. A massive skateboard one and a separate bmx..plus slides etc. The schools are fairly newer compared to the east coast. Also several baseball soccer fields for kids. Also very warm here in teh winter, you can lay out and get a tan in January. <<<<<<>Cons- Houses and rent are cheap so some areas can be run down. B/c its the desert the wind blows garbage and debris into the yards and vacant lots. There are no damn street lights at night it is very scary driving around, also the busses run all over through which does not help the city, prosper it only moves in more low income ppl..and alllot of pple ride the bus, you have to try not to run them over at night do to no street lights or side walks. Allot of the roads are pot hole ridden. All the stores are employed by immagrints.. so the service is awful b/c they don't speak english. There are a ton of kids. it's seems the families here are very large and the kids can be very loud... they also having a habit of taking my pets home. one kid could not understand the right of ownership that a cat w/ a collar belongs to some one....oh yeah and there beggars/crack heads out side the stores here, the beggars are all white. and seem to only harass the 5 other white folk here. my husband went to get the mail once and had an old cracky lady ask him for a ride. he of coarse then asked her if he looked like a taxi... umm it is also very very hot here in the summer.. there are no jobs really here in DHS you would have to get on the interstate and commute most likely. Plus it's the desert no rain no trees very dry...
<<<<<<<>Personally I like trees and rain.. so I will be going north here soon.. <<<>>> I have only gone into yucca once..it is much more secluded then DHS, there is only one road in... they do have a good bit of shopping, a walmart and biglots so you probably don't need to leave the yucca valley for anything really...

Last edited by kcummins; 01-17-2010 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,703 times
Yucca Valley is loaded with criminals and heroin addicts. In fact, all of the high desert has a lot of crime. Yucca Valley may be growing but so is the crime. In my opinion however, the future may look bright due to the wonderful oasis that DHS is sitting on top of. Some of the best water in the world and perhaps it is the best is the underground acquifers of DHS. More people are discovering this and opening spas there which will bring in money and run out the riff raff. We shall see.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM

687 posts, read 1,487,268 times
As with any town, DHS has good and bad areas. Unfortunately, the bad areas far outnumber the good. If I didn't have kids, and had no other choice, DHS could be an option. With kids - absolutely NOT! I taught students in middle/high school who had been expelled. The largest number of my students came from DHS schools. There is a huge meth problem, and the gangs are brutal. There was a recent injunction against gang members, so they are not allowed to congregate in public places anymore. Some of their main shooters are currently locked up, so the shootings are less than they were 5 years ago. All it's going to take is the right people to be released from prison, and the shootings will start again. These were my students for years, so I know them personally, not just from news reports or gossip.

I would give Yucca a higher recommendation. Yes, there's a drug problem there, but there isn't near the issue with violence. There are nice, peaceful neighborhoods where you could be very happy.

Morongo Valley is a little town between Yucca and DHS. I have friends who really like the elementary schools there. You have to drive into Yucca or DHS to even go grocery shopping.

My daughter and her family live in 29 Palms. Many of the houses (but not all) tend to be older and a little shabby, due to years of Marine families coming and going. They have a population of about 25,000, with a large portion of that being military families. The base also has a lot of activities for families to participate in. Unless there's a specific reason you don't want to be in 29, you may want to give it a look.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 PM

74 posts, read 260,408 times
DHS has some nicer areas that are not in the "flatlands". Prices are very affordable. There are few restaurants and services, but Palm Springs is very close.

Yucca Valley is more affordable, and is closer to work. The schools are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties