Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 33,076 times

Advertisements

I lived in Northern California most of my life and experienced the Loma Prieta earthquake. I've been through many earthquakes in California and elsewhere but the LP at 7.1 was a very scary. I remember running across my dinning room being thrown into a table trying to catch a falling water dispenser. Despite the major earthquake there was no damage to the house.

Twinkle Toes I want to thank you for your referral of the Shams Group. I had the good fortune to work with an associate from there who has been very helpful and we plan on closing on a house after the inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM

130 posts, read 291,651 times
coincidentally, my extended family was at that game. My sister, an assitant district attorney in Oakland, was on her way across that bridge when it fell. She was one of the 44 lost in that earthquake. She was a year older than me. I miss her...
In a 1956 publication about edward casey (sp) he predicted a 1989 earthquake with the epicenter in Holister California to occur in 1989... that was more accurate than any scientific prediction has ever been.
Personally, I believe the the story about the road to samara... you can move to the ends of the earth and death will find you when it is your time...
more practically though...my brother, a structural engineer thinks "unless your dwellling falls in the exact crevice of the earthquake, homes in the desert area will not suffer much damage. They are low level structures that are pretty earthquake proof..."

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insmanblue View Post
we plan on closing on a house after the inspection.
Congratulations!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,130 times
Can anyone tell me about La Quinta Cove?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,779 times
La Quinta Cove is not a great place to buy a house. It`s got a lot of crime and drugs. It`s also run down.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Nope, I was here. I was only in TX (aka HELL) for the death of Gerald Ford and his memorial sevice. But I did get my share of lousy, sh*tty, crappy weather in TX - and I just got used to that strip at the bottom of every channel on TV with the TORNADO WARNING!!!

..."
Now, TT, Texas is just not as wonderful since you left..

I live in Dallas but have a sister and family living at Canyon Lake - often thought about buying a Palm Springs second home (but keep kicking myself because - why do I want to go somewhere hot?) however -- I fell in love with several Alexander or Alexander-ish two bedroom homes - what are those going for these days?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Might I suggest a condo instead of a house?
According to Realty . com, there are over 450 units for $300K and under

(Geeze, I sound like a host on HGTV ..... )
We've thought about that, but it would have to have the kind of pool that would be perfect for martini and margarita sipping ... Seriously, condos are an option we'd definitely consider, but I'd rather have a yard of my own (and so that's we're holding out for unless otherwise not possible.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
We've thought about that, but it would have to have the kind of pool that would be perfect for martini and margarita sipping ... Seriously, condos are an option we'd definitely consider, but I'd rather have a yard of my own (and so that's we're holding out for unless otherwise not possible.
From my research I found condos on average cost more per sq. ft. than single family homes.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you Gandalara. My wife and I are very excited!

Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInTheDesert View Post
coincidentally, my extended family was at that game. My sister, an assitant district attorney in Oakland, was on her way across that bridge when it fell. She was one of the 44 lost in that earthquake. She was a year older than me. I miss her...
In a 1956 publication about edward casey (sp) he predicted a 1989 earthquake with the epicenter in Holister California to occur in 1989... that was more accurate than any scientific prediction has ever been.
Personally, I believe the the story about the road to samara... you can move to the ends of the earth and death will find you when it is your time...
more practically though...my brother, a structural engineer thinks "unless your dwellling falls in the exact crevice of the earthquake, homes in the desert area will not suffer much damage. They are low level structures that are pretty earthquake proof..."
I am sorry to hear of your loss. The images of of the freeway collapse are itched in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties