Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,189,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Check out Henderson, NV (a suburb of Las Vegas). Skiing is 45 mins away (Mt. Charleston) or 6 hrs by car to Park City. Kid friendly, lots to do, lots of entertainment, and of course no state income tax.
Actually Henderson is it's own city, not a suburb of Las Vegas. One good thing going for it, it's close to Lake Mead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,310,141 times
Greater Palm Springs has pretty much become a gay friendly - adult oriented area. I'm not sure it is all that great for kids.
If you want access to the beach and can relocate anywhere you wish - consider San Diego county.
There are several communities that are kid friendly and even if you re not living on the beach - it will be a short drive.
As for skiing the best skiing is in Utah and Colorado (and the resorts around Tahoe) - but no beach access nearby.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amongwildflowers View Post
Hope anyone of you can help...I am a 40 year old married woman with a 6 and a 4 year old who currently live on the Hudson River in NY across from West Point. My husband has the opportunity in the next few short months to transfer pretty much wherever we want (how lucky are we)...having been a gypsy my whole life, I've been exposed to some pretty nice places as far as living is concerned, fav's include Park City, Utah, Woodstock, Vermont, spent last 9 years in the Eastern PA where I met my husband and started our family. Having been an IBM child, I moved every 3 years to many different places in the northeast...so kind of been there done that. Am searching for a new and different place that offers a great place for my kids and my husband and I...safe first of all, and beautiful with lots of cool stuff around. Would love to be near a Ski Resort as I was an avid rider before moving to PA, but not necessarily want the cold temps anymore..and want to expose my kids to that now that they are of that age...also want a beautiful modern/green eco-friendly kind of home...we can afford something in the $400's...so I'm hoping we can get something pretty nice with a pool...would also love to be within driving distance to the beach...I'm an avid gardener as well, love wildflowers and planting...and a not so crazy place overloaded with people but with all the amenities...am in the process of checking out Palm Springs, CA area, Scottsdale area of AZ, possibly Taos area of New Mexico Provo, Utah...am just afraid of the temps a bit (how hot it gets) I mean SLC was a desert, but not like where you guys are...I'm thinking we can handle it as long as we have a pool...anyway, any insight would be super helpful...you can only search for so long on the web and besides physically going to all the places, hearing it from you all who live there is the next best thing...so thanks in advance for any help. Take care, Michelle PS I am in the process of trying to plan a vacation to check one or 2 areas out for mid-summer...
Hey Dudes,
Desert Sucks.Predominately Mexicans. Baking Oven Hot in summer.Freezing cold in winter.Best to commute from North San Diego area over the hills into the desert every day.About 50-60 miles 1 way. Housing market is great right now, more ethnic diversity, cool in summer,warm in winter. I've lived on both sides.
I'll take the coastal valley any time.And the western U.S. over the Eastern U.S. The desert. A nice place to work but you wouldn't want to live there. My humble opinion. Best of luck to ya'll.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,248,053 times
Wildflowers, you have probably made your decision by now, don't discount the Coachella Valley. I take issue with the statement that it's mostly 'mexicans' here. California has a lot of people of hispanic origin, most of them are hard working citizens. We have lived in several regions in CA and there honestly are not any more hispanics here than there are in L.A. county or San Bernardino County. Not that there is anything wrong with living among hispanics, there are 'white' folks I wouldn't want to live next door to. Like everywhere, you need to take care where you live..I would rent first as you check out different cities and neighborhoods.

Also, Palm Springs itself is very Gay friendly. Nothing wrong with that, but if you prefer otherwise then check out Palm Desert or Rancho Mirage..not as many openly gay establishments. Just my opinion.

I hope wherever you land you are happy and have a good experience.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 AM

45 posts, read 141,924 times
After living in the desert(Bermuda Dunes) for 3 years I left a year ago.
The heat: it's fine, that's what air conditioning is. Is you live east of Washington avenue the rates are cheaper. I moved in July 2006 and it was 123 out. I thought I would die and was taking 3 showers a day for the first week. However you get used to it, and eventually 95 degrees feels cool. t is true that you can't use most pools in the middle of summer-they feel like hot tubs. Some people will put blocks of ice in them, but pools are best saved for spring and fall.

The op says they like mountains, skiing, wildflowers and the beach. With those things in mind, I have no idea why they are looking at palm Springs. You will find none of that there.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:20 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,941,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linz98144 View Post
The op says they like mountains, skiing, wildflowers and the beach. With those things in mind, I have no idea why they are looking at palm Springs. You will find none of that there.
No mountains?

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,912,302 times
We also have wildflowers here. (Sorry, don't know how to post a pic). But, third time's a charm .... we don't have a beach here.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,964,925 times
At least half or more than half of the population in Choachella Valley are Mexican and they are not all legal.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:42 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,912,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
At least half or more than half of the population in Choachella Valley are Mexican and they are not all legal.
That may be true in the Choachella Valley, but that isn't the case in the Coachella Valley, where I live.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:39 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,248,053 times
Newsflash..the population of the great state of California is above 50% hispanic..not all are legal. Come on, most hispanic folks are wonderful neighbors. I have seen white folks I would not want to live next to. This valley is great. Yah, its hot right now, but it's cooling off, Fall is in the air.
I get tired of folks ragging on our HOME. If you don't like it here, get the H out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties