Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 13,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amongwildflowers View Post
Hi, we are a young family currently living in the Hudson Valley of NY with an opportunity to move anywhere in the US...we like snowboarding, the beach, gardening, may want to start a wildflower farm, good schools, safe environment of course, beautiful climate (not too hot, not too cold) trying to get away from 7 months of cold out of the year
The Hudson Valley of New York State is NOT cold "7 months of cold out of the year". Unless you have a very, very low threshold in regards to temperatures -- but then why did you previously live in truly cold New England, as you wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
If I could, I'd go back to Huntington Beach. But as a non-driver, I need to be in a place that has a really good transit system.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:47 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,243 times
Central Coast of California.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amongwildflowers View Post
Hi, we are a young family currently living in the Hudson Valley of NY with an opportunity to move anywhere in the US...we like snowboarding, the beach, gardening, may want to start a wildflower farm, good schools, safe environment of course, beautiful climate (not too hot, not too cold) trying to get away from 7 months of cold out of the year, EXCELLENT QUALITY OF LIFE...WHERE WOULD YOU GO? Lived in Utah, Vermont, all over the Northeast...checking out Palm Springs areas of CA, Arizona, New Mexico for a change of scenery. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated. Michelle
Palm Springs is not thought of as a family community and the summers are unbearably hot, but the winters are heaven. You wouldn't be near the beach that is for sure. NM is nice, would offer much of what you want except not the beach either. There are places in NV that might work as well.

Of course the central coast of Calif (if money isn't an issue) would have to be considered. Except for the humidity there are lots of cities in Texas that might work as well. \

Nita

Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,737 times
Default Where?

My two favorite places are Avalon, CA and Laguna Beach, CA

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
I would say San Luis Obispo, CA or the surrounding area. Everything grows there, you are near great beaches, not too far from snowboarding, not too crowded, beautiful scenery, great weather, perfecet little downtown, etc.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM

56 posts, read 115,087 times
Anywhere in CA besides Riverside & San Bernardino Counties.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
New Mexico is gorgeous, but IMO unless you have family there already and have a reason to move there, it is not the best locale to raise kids.
Grass Valley CA comes to mind; foothills of the Sierras, winters not too cold, a few hours from the coast, not far from Tahoe for skiiing. Wildflower country, in my mind.

Otherwise, Sonoma County, CA is gorgeous. Check out Healdsburg,Sonoma town itself, and the surrounding unincorporated areas. I would live there if I could, or Marin County, CA. Currently, I am in San Diego, and it's not too shabby, obviously on the beach, a few hours from Big Bear Skiing, and Carlsbad is a major flower grower/exporter.(: Fallbrook would be a place to find land in SD county for a wildflower farm.

But still...I would pick Sonoma-about an hour to san francisco and all the amenities of marin and the bay area are right there, plus sonoma has it's own amazing culture and resources. Great markets, local products, unique communities...and a great place for raising a family, IMO. You would have to drive a few hours at least for snowboarding in Tahoe, but you are still close to the beach, albeit not a swimming beach at all.

Without the beach factor, I'd put you squarely in Boulder, CO area. Besides sonoma/marin, it has the excellent quality of life factor. (And winters are not insanely cold at all-lots of sunshine and snow melts quickly.) I have lived in CO, MT, CA north and south, and am originally from the NE. I know cold and weather, and Sonoma is my call for you. (:
Would not suggest AZ at all. The only communities that would rank for quality of life, maybe, are north in the mountains-flagstaff, prescott, etc. meh. you can do better than them if you have the whole country to choose from. And, there's always Hawaii.

Last edited by lrmsd; 05-26-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-26-2010, 06:01 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff201865 View Post
The Hudson Valley of New York State is NOT cold "7 months of cold out of the year". Unless you have a very, very low threshold in regards to temperatures -- but then why did you previously live in truly cold New England, as you wrote?
Um, it most certainly is cold 7 months a year, depending on your personal definition of cold.
They don't want winter or any winter like conditions for 7 months per year.
True, you may have a few of those months with warm, sunny days, out of the blue, but it's sporadic and unpredictable. Versus somewhere in AZ or CA, where the weather patterns are very consistent.
I think that is the OP's point; I did not see it as a personal attack on the hudson valley, but c'mon, weather *can* be cold there at any given time, for 7 months per year. July, August and part of September, and usually part of june, are your only guaranteed warm months. May and Oct. are very iffy,and November-April you know is normally cold and with some snow. That's 6 months for sure right there. geesh. I can't believe I am even replying to this,but it was a ridiculous comment to the OP's post.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM

24 posts, read 77,025 times
Thanks everyone for all of your comments...will definitely take all into consideration...on a whole looking like central CA area (which I have checked out a bit since my original post)...what about the whole earthquake thing, mud slides and wildfires...should I not be worried????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties