U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM

841 posts, read 4,595,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Tea View Post
San Diego is not good for art/design/media jobs and if you're black then forget it unless you want to work in Target, Walmart, Best Buy or a Fast Food joint as those are the main places that are willing to accept.
I would have to disagree. There are many black people with good paying jobs in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM

47 posts, read 301,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I would have to disagree. There are many black people with good paying jobs in San Diego.
There's not enough. Almost every job I've applied to there hasn't been 1 black person unless they're a security guard. I did 1 temp job as a receptionist and there were only 2 black men in the whole building.

Most of the time the only jobs I see black people doing are driving buses, working in target, walmart, best buy or the shopping mall.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,221,706 times
It's better than the NE OH market. I applied for several positions at school systems in SD, as well as Polymer College in San Marcos (admin/financial) and have received calls from all of them for interviews. I don't know what would have happened after the interview, how many people are being interviewed, but at least there are "bites". My background is B.S. accounting, 70+ additional post-bac credits in various things, including a basic understanding of Spanish, and being an entrepreneur since 1999. The positions I applied are not CEO positions or high-tech, but those aren't my bag anyways.

P.S. - I never did follow through with the interviews, but one of these days I will. I can just say that there IS opportunity in SD; especially when you are coming from an area that is gasping for oxygen and is on life support.

Good luck in your job search.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,221,706 times
To the original poster, if I'm allowed to post a link (if I'm not, please delete), there are postings for CA schools systems including SD (clerical, admin, etc.) on Welcome to EDJOIN!.

Again, wishing you the best.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:37 AM

7,128 posts, read 18,107,258 times
Quote:
There's not enough. Almost every job I've applied to there hasn't been 1 black person unless they're a security guard. I did 1 temp job as a receptionist and there were only 2 black men in the whole building.

Most of the time the only jobs I see black people doing are driving buses, working in target, walmart, best buy or the shopping mall.
At my last job we had a black systems engineer (SAN, NAS guy) and a younger black desktop tech. The tech was ex-military, worked for COMSYS for a couple years before us, now I hear he is an IT manager for a consulting firm. We had a black Call Center manager at my current place for a while, I don't think she worked out though.

Unless you spend a lot of time in mid-rise Sorrento Valley tech parks I don't see how you could know whether or not black people are working in high-paying professional fields in San Diego.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
At my last job we had a black systems engineer (SAN, NAS guy) and a younger black desktop tech. The tech was ex-military, worked for COMSYS for a couple years before us, now I hear he is an IT manager for a consulting firm. We had a black Call Center manager at my current place for a while, I don't think she worked out though.

Unless you spend a lot of time in mid-rise Sorrento Valley tech parks I don't see how you could know whether or not black people are working in high-paying professional fields in San Diego.
The areas i've been to for jobs are Mira Mesa, Kearny Mesa, La Jolla, Oceanside, Pacific Beach, Clairemont and Mission Valley. I would have had a job by now if i was back at home. I have a ****load of experience. Makes me wonder what my chances would be if i wasn't black with dreadlocks.

From my experience I know. It shouldn't matter what area but you saying that about SV just proves my point. Things are way too segregated out here. Cant wait to leave.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 AM

841 posts, read 4,595,318 times
Quote:
Makes me wonder what my chances would be if i wasn't black with dreadlocks.
I would think the dreadlocks would be the issue rather than the color of your skin. I've rarely seen blacks with dreadlocks in SoCal. They usually have a bald head, afro or braids.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I would think the dreadlocks would be the issue rather than the color of your skin. I've rarely seen blacks with dreadlocks in SoCal. They usually have a bald head, afro or braids.
But what's weird is so many people tell me they like my hair. I had some guy in Target go out of his way to tell me he likes my hair and some old white couple in Applebees. I look after my dreads and from far people think they're braids. My dreadlocks aren't like the typical Rasta dreads that aren't usually looked after and are left picky.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:03 PM

41 posts, read 232,398 times
Tea Tea:
Have you looked into starting your own biz?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 AM

2,404 posts, read 2,403,038 times
Quote:
My dreadlocks aren't like the typical Rasta dreads
I cannot speak for San Diego yet but I can comment from the perspective of corporate America. I need to prefix this by saying that I currently live in Philly and you have to understand that Philly is a huge empowerment zone, catering to minorities (black, gay, etc; its a great culture that provides vehicles for upward mobility)

But even with this culture, I know six African-Americans (a mix of men & women) who had dreads and were offerred positions with various law firms, tech companies, etc, under the auspices that they cut their dreads.

I have to agree with Imperial1904.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego