Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
It's weird because everyday I think "will there be another quake today?" then a week or two goes by and there's nothing so eventually I forget all about it, then BAM!
haha just like home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You know, that's the mentality you develop when quakes are frequent. You don't worry about the quakes or whether you will be killed or injured; you are more concerned with being stuck somewhere.
me too. I keep thinking what if I'm in the shower haha or downtown somewhere.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,172,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
haha just like home

San Diego: Shake N Bake

Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Understandably it shook hard in Borrego Springs near the epicenter. According to the LA Times some people were downright frightened and said it was worse than the Easter earthquake which I don't quite understand since it was a lot less strong. Strangely, it felt stronger to me than the Easter day earthquake.

Here's some quotes:
“I’ve been here 30 years, and it was bigger than any of us have experienced,” Laws said. “It shook up and down really hard. That was the big jolt, then back and forth. It feels like forever, but it was probably only 10 to 15 seconds.” There weren’t many customers in the store when the quake hit, Laws said, but “the employees, they bolted. The cash registers are right by the door.”
“It was scary,” added Celina Vega of Borrego Springs. “I can hardly talk because I’m still shaking. “
She said the earthquake hit as she was getting ready to go to work at Kendall’s Cafe. “I screamed. Glasses fell at my house. We’re not used to earthquakes here in Borrego Springs. When we felt it, oh my gosh, scary!”

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...or-damage.html

Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
me too. I keep thinking what if I'm in the shower haha or downtown somewhere.

Dude seriously, being from the Bay Area I can tell you this actually happens. When I was in 2nd grade in Berkeley, we had an earthquake while we were doing an earthquake drill. I can tell you from experience that you feel the most vulnerable when one hits while in the bathroom sitting on the bowl

Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Understandably it shook hard in Borrego Springs near the epicenter. According to the LA Times some people were downright frightened and said it was worse than the Easter earthquake which I don't quite understand since it was a lot less strong. Strangely, it felt stronger to me than the Easter day earthquake.

Here's some quotes:
“I’ve been here 30 years, and it was bigger than any of us have experienced,” Laws said. “It shook up and down really hard. That was the big jolt, then back and forth. It feels like forever, but it was probably only 10 to 15 seconds.” There weren’t many customers in the store when the quake hit, Laws said, but “the employees, they bolted. The cash registers are right by the door.”
“It was scary,” added Celina Vega of Borrego Springs. “I can hardly talk because I’m still shaking. “
She said the earthquake hit as she was getting ready to go to work at Kendall’s Cafe. “I screamed. Glasses fell at my house. We’re not used to earthquakes here in Borrego Springs. When we felt it, oh my gosh, scary!”

5.4 earthquake jolts Southern California, causing mostly minor damage | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
The Easter quake was long but it rocked and rolled. This one was shorter but jolted like the quakes you and I are more used to. These types of quakes don't normally occur in San Diego, this is why I thought it was much closer. Had it been close, this would have been a 3.5-ish or so.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:35 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That's because it was WAS stronger than the Easter earthquake. I wish people would wake up and smell the coffee. Do you honestly believe USGS is going to tell you the REAL magnitude of the earthquakes? No way. It would cause a massive panic across So.Cal. Do you ever wonder how they downgrade these earthquakes randomly? The earthquake was a 5.9 when it first struck and then mysteriously downgraded to a 5.4. Even though countless reports across So.Cal have witnesses saying it was worse than the easter earthquake. I smell a rat.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That's because it was WAS stronger than the Easter earthquake. I wish people would wake up and smell the coffee. Do you honestly believe USGS is going to tell you the REAL magnitude of the earthquakes? No way. It would cause a massive panic across So.Cal. Do you ever wonder how they downgrade these earthquakes randomly? The earthquake was a 5.9 when it first struck and then mysteriously downgraded to a 5.4. Even though countless reports across So.Cal have witnesses saying it was worse than the easter earthquake. I smell a rat.
It didn't feel stronger to me. Just different and shorter.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 AM

426 posts, read 791,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I think they report correctly. It has to do with the depth of the quake. ie: how many miles under ground it was. The Easter quake was of deeper depth and a different kind of movement, that is why it didn't feel as strong.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM

66 posts, read 155,871 times
Yep, felt pretty strong here in Mission Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego