U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:28 PM

11 posts, read 71,965 times

Advertisements

Hi, me and my family are considering moving to southern California, and are looking for some suggestions. We are thinking of Somewhere in San Diego County, that has good schools, and is a safe area with low crime. Me and my husband are a bi-racial couple with 2 children age 14 and 8, so want a least a little diversity. We would prefer a place that we can rent a 3 bedroom house or townhome for around $1500 a month or less.

We want a location that is also close to shopping and not a farm type area. (We like the city ) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any other places in mind besides SD County, I am open to suggestions. Jobs are not a big issue so that is not much of a concern. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM

2,992 posts, read 6,811,864 times
Let's list out your criteria...

Good Schools
Low Crime
Diversity
Close to Shopping
City not Rural

with 3 bedrooms for $1500 or less...

I'll skip the gratuitous LOL icon, and instead, in a serious manner ask you to prioritize your criteria because what you are asking for doesn't exist in San Diego County for the price you seek.

The only out I can see is if by "City" you mean a small rural town/area like Ramona or Valley Center, as opposed to an actual place all alone in the boondocks.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM

$1500 for rent is flexible, as long as the area is what I am looking for we could probably go as high as $2000 or a little more. Does anyone have any thoughts on Oceanside? I know someone who used to live there and said he loved it, but that was years ago.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM

204 posts, read 380,080 times
The Rancho del Oro area of Oceanside is nice but I don't think the schools are that hot. My area in Shadowridge, Vista (92081) has good schools and you probably could rent a house for $1800-2000. The high school is just okay though so either you will have to make some concessions.
If they both rank very high (schools and good location) you will have to raise your price because I'm not sure you could get a townhome in a place like Carlsbad for that price. I would look though if I were you.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 AM

515 posts, read 751,339 times
i recommend San Marcos...

1. crime is third lowest amongst all municipalities in San Diego
2. San Marcos Unified School District has the 4th highest test scores in the county besides the very affluent Carlsbad, San Dieguito, and Poway districts...but most schools are just as good anyways.
- its known as the education hub of north county because Palomar Community College, Cal State San Marcos, and St. Augustine Grad School are within the city.
3. the city is 53% caucasian, 38% hispanic, 6% asian... schools are about 50% hispanic/40% caucasian. not the most diverse, but not bad...
4. San Marcos has a lot of decent shopping places, but if you want high end stuff it is only a short drive to encinitas or carlsbad. Its more well known for the abundance of good restaurants, but SM also has less common stores like Frys Electronics, Nordstrom Rack, Sprouts, etc. Either way, it is about 15 minutes to the Carlsbad and Escondido malls.
5. i wouldnt call San Marcos "the city", its clearly a suburban town..however they are building a completely new downtown and a separate university village, which will offer a more urban lifestyle.
6. San Marcos is the cheapest city that has good schools, low crime, and decent shopping (prices comparable to Oceanside, Vista, etc.).

1500 is really not enough anywhere in San Diego. but you might find some good deals in SM, which probably meets your criteria better than most places in SD county.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Default What about high schools?

Can anyone tell me what the high schools in San Marcos and Oceanside CA are like? Are they safe? I was kind of worried about gang activity and drugs.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,060,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARIE1978 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the high schools in San Marcos and Oceanside CA are like? Are they safe? I was kind of worried about gang activity and drugs.
For the most part, in those areas, you should be worried.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM

Can you give me a little more information as to why I should be worried about those schools? When I looked on the greatschools.org, they seemed to be rated ok. Also on the City Data information page for San Marcos the crime index is 173 which is well below the national average and lower than San Diego, which everyone keeps saying is supposed to be a good area. I am confused here, can someone help clarify?

Last edited by JMARIE1978; 07-14-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,060,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARIE1978 View Post
Can you give me a little more information as to why I should be worried about those schools? When I looked on the greatschools.org, they seemed to be rated ok. Also on the City Data information page for San Marcos the crime index is 173 which is well below the national average and lower than San Diego, which everyone keeps saying is supposed to be a good area. I am confused here, can someone help clarify?
There are some very rough areas of Oceanside and San Marcos. Lots of gangs, drugs, crime. There are also some pretty nice areas of those cities. Suffice to say, if you are in the rough parts, you will have issues with gangs and drugs in the high schools. In the other areas, you may not. Test scores and ratings don't tell the entire story about any school district or campus.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM

That makes more sense. Do you think one is better over the other as long as I am in a good area? And can you suggests any neighborhoods to stay away from, and ones that I should try to look for a place in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego