Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times

Advertisements

Any of you live nearby and take advantage of a year pass so you/family can walk the zoo at night/ in the AM. Must be more fun than a plain track. I was thinking about it. For me it is worth the price and I love seeing the animals.

Has anyone done it before? How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
It's actually pretty great, although this year I didn't renew my zoo pass.. Cutting back on stuff due to furloughs and pay cuts at work Instead I walk the park every few days, there's a ton of areas to walk/run which you may not be aware of- and it's FREE!! (yay!!)

Here's a map of trails in the park: http://www.balboapark.org/maps/TrailMap-6th-Upas.pdf

Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 AM

Thanks! Yeah, I considered walking the park, too. I thought maybe seeing some animals would be more fun. Honestly, I can't rememebr the last time I was in the zoo. Sea World, yeah, not so much the zoo.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
We have had a pass since our son was born and go quite often. We know the place like the back of our hand and it's great to walk and wander. However in the summer the parking is terrible and the park is extremely crowded. A trick is to go early in the AM and go directly to the back of the park via the secret Fern Grotto stairs > . Then you are reverse commuting out of the park while everyone else is walking in.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I considered walking the park, too. I thought maybe seeing some animals would be more fun. Honestly, I can't rememebr the last time I was in the zoo. Sea World, yeah, not so much the zoo.
Seeing the animals *is* great, but like Sassberto said, it can get crowded in the summertime, so you're having to weave around tourists. The winter is perfect for that, though, and realistically if you go even a few times your pass is paid for, so even if you're avoiding it during the busy tourist months I'd say it's worth the price of a year's admission.

The people-watching while walking the rest of the park can be just as fun- maybe do the park trails in the summertime and the zoo when it's less crowded?

On a side note, I love to see people taking advantage of the park, including the zoo. I swear every time I'm there I think about how lucky I am to live near enough to such a place that I can almost take it for granted

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 PM

I agree! I feel like everything is right outside the door- even if you just want to walk over at night and sit in the park.

Good idea about mixing trails with parks, with pay to get in zoo/sea world-type places.

I think this area, unlike some others I've been around, has a safe feel, so it begs you to go out and do more.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:08 AM

239 posts, read 723,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
We have had a pass since our son was born and go quite often. We know the place like the back of our hand and it's great to walk and wander. However in the summer the parking is terrible and the park is extremely crowded. A trick is to go early in the AM and go directly to the back of the park via the secret Fern Grotto stairs > . Then you are reverse commuting out of the park while everyone else is walking in.
Ok, we got our annual membership too and we have definitely already recouped our money, but we don't know where these secret Fern Grotto stairs are found... will you share?? This evening we took the cable car, which was really fun, and walked back to the exit following the Elephant trail.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:33 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
Ok, we got our annual membership too and we have definitely already recouped our money, but we don't know where these secret Fern Grotto stairs are found... will you share?? This evening we took the cable car, which was really fun, and walked back to the exit following the Elephant trail.
From the entrance, take the path to the right behind the flamingos. You will see a small staircase on your right. Follow it to the bottom and you will be at the Pandas. From there you can either take the escalator to the Elephants or walk up to the Polar Bears.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:43 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Love Fern Canyon, it's where we always take the out of town guests first thing- gives them a nice jungle rain forest experience to start things off, also, I think the aviaries are under appreciated-most folks rushing right through them, if you just stop and take it all in for a while it becomes pretty magical in my experience.

We live right across the canyon from the zoo; close enough to hear the Siamang (howler) monkeys occasionally- that's kind of cool, wish I could also hear the tigers roar but I think that's only happened once. We renew the membership every year and treat the zoo as just a pleasant walk amongst the landscaping for an hour or so more often than as a longer half-day trip to take in the animals. As Sassberto says, you get to know the best times to make a quick trek, and where to get to quickly to enjoy some areas before the crowds take over.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:06 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soymabelen View Post
but we don't know where these secret Fern Grotto stairs are found... will you share?? .
look for Hugh Heffner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego