Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:33 PM

17 posts, read 28,684 times

Advertisements

Hello nice forum folks!

I posted a couple of weeks ago to solicit neighborhood suggestions to check for our move from Texas.

We arrived in San Diego today, rented a car and drove through Hillcrest, Mission Hills, South Park and North Park. Fell in love! Especially impressed with North and South Park. Lovely little homes with sweet gardens, cozy coffee houses and shops within walking distance. I have the feeling these are most likely out of our price range to purchase but hopefully not out of our monthly budget range to rent.

Tomorrow we head north to see Solano Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, Levcadia and Carlsbad. The following day we fly up to the Bay area and stay in Capitola for two nights. We'd also like to check out the area north of San Francisco (Santa Rosa et al). Once we've decided on the general area to settle (pretty sure we will chose SD), we plan on renting short term until we find our next home.

Thank you for taking the time to point us in the right direction for the San Diego area. You rock!!!

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
Hello nice forum folks!

I posted a couple of weeks ago to solicit neighborhood suggestions to check for our move from Texas.

We arrived in San Diego today, rented a car and drove through Hillcrest, Mission Hills, South Park and North Park. Fell in love! Especially impressed with North and South Park. Lovely little homes with sweet gardens, cozy coffee houses and shops within walking distance. I have the feeling these are most likely out of our price range to purchase but hopefully not out of our monthly budget range to rent.

Tomorrow we head north to see Solano Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, Levcadia and Carlsbad. The following day we fly up to the Bay area and stay in Capitola for two nights. We'd also like to check out the area north of San Francisco (Santa Rosa et al). Once we've decided on the general area to settle (pretty sure we will chose SD), we plan on renting short term until we find our next home.

Thank you for taking the time to point us in the right direction for the San Diego area. You rock!!!

Linda
Glad to hear you're enjoying your visit to our little corner of the world. Be sure to report back on your trip through coastal North County!

Old 07-23-2010, 06:51 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiapoppy View Post
Hello nice forum folks!

Linda
It's good to know you are loving SD! It is a beautiful city with everything for everyone and especially the outdoor enthusiast ! Mountains, hills, beaches etc. I hope you choose SD!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 AM

425 posts, read 958,720 times
Thanks for your update, I have been looking into San Diego and have been wanting to relocate there. I have am a born & raised New Yorker, and as great as NYC & the surrounding areas are, I am in the midset of making a change and San Diego "on paper" offers almost everything to my pesonal likes.

It's good to see others follow through with the move, and have a positive outcome.

Bill Evans the weather guy here in NYC on ABC 7, made a reference the other day on how he would never want a job as the San Diego weather man, because I do not know how long I could say "76 and Sunny" without losing my mind.

I took that as a sign...thats where I want to be!

now if the New York Islanders hockey team needs to leave Long Island, maybe they should forget Queens, Kansas City and Hamilton and move to San Diego.

San Diego Islanders has a nice ring to it!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,318,422 times
Don't get me wrong, I love Santa Cruz and the Bay Area (one of my best friends lives in Half Moon Bay) and the food culture in the Bay Area is great but it is also less family friendly and housing is even more expensive then San Diego plus the school districts get even more hit or miss. For me San Diego is the place I want to be and luckily I can always take trips up the coast to LA or SF or where ever. It's an arrangement I like very much.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
Thanks for your update, I have been looking into San Diego and have been wanting to relocate there. I have am a born & raised New Yorker, and as great as NYC & the surrounding areas are, I am in the midset of making a change and San Diego "on paper" offers almost everything to my pesonal likes.

It's good to see others follow through with the move, and have a positive outcome.

Bill Evans the weather guy here in NYC on ABC 7, made a reference the other day on how he would never want a job as the San Diego weather man, because I do not know how long I could say "76 and Sunny" without losing my mind.

I took that as a sign...thats where I want to be!

now if the New York Islanders hockey team needs to leave Long Island, maybe they should forget Queens, Kansas City and Hamilton and move to San Diego.

San Diego Islanders has a nice ring to it!
We haven't heard "76 and Sunny" since 2009. It's been a chilly year on the coast. Our weather people are calling 2010 the year "without a summer."

Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Thanks for the trip report! Sounds like you are doing what I do when I visit other cities, and that is to explore. Might I add some more driving around suggestions?

- Go to Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma for the view and tidepools (Best when it's sunny)
- Mt. Soledad in La Jolla
- Head over to Coronado and take Orange Ave to the Hotel Del. Some great views of downtown can be seen from the opposite end Orange on the bayside.
- Drive along Sunset Cliffs
- Gotta walk the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach Boardwalk for just a bit and go to the end of Cystal Pier to watch the surfers do their thing.
-Watch the seals in La Jolla
- Hike around Torrey Pines State Park and down to the beach.
-Make sure to take the Coast Highway and not the I-5, when driving thru the beach towns...Del Mar, Solana, Leucadia, etc. to get their true vibes.
-If you can stand the craziness of downtown with Comic-Con in town, check out Little Italy at night.

Enjoy!!

Last edited by sdurbanite; 07-24-2010 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
The weather in SD is nice yr round but it also dont rain much.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:19 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Thanks for the trip report! Sounds like you are doing what I do when I visit other cities, and that is to explore. Might I add some more driving around suggestions?

- Go to Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma for the view and tidepools (Best when it's sunny)
- Mt. Soledad in La Jolla
- Head over to Coronado and take Orange Ave to the Hotel Del. Some great views of downtown can be seen from the opposite end Orange on the bayside.
- Drive along Sunset Cliffs
- Gotta walk the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach Boardwalk for just a bit and go to the end of Cystal Pier to watch the surfers do their thing.
-Watch the seals in La Jolla
- Hike around Torrey Pines State Park and down to the beach.
-Make sure to take the Coast Highway and not the I-5, when driving thru the beach towns...Del Mar, Solana, Leucadia, etc. to get their true vibes.
-If you can stand the craziness of downtown with Comic-Con in town, check out Little Italy at night.

Enjoy!!
good list

Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM

17 posts, read 28,684 times
Gosh! Y'all are so nice!

Sudurbanite, awesome suggestions! We will be sure to check these out when we move out here and there's more time - we'll have all the time in the world. We did drive the coastal route today through the Northern beach towns. Loved it all - Carlsbad through Solano Beach!

We had lunch at an amazing restaurant/deli/gourmet market in Carlsbad called Tip Top Meats...well, actually we both ordered dinners. For $8.98 you can choose a Stuffed Pork Chop, Veal Cordon Bleu, Sauerbraten, Rouladen, Holsteiner Schnitzel, Chicken Cordon Bleu, prime rib ribs, BBQ chicken, etc., served with red cabbage, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and gravy or fries, soup or salad and a dinner roll. Lots of sandwich choices and a large breakfast menu too. I'm still stuffed!

We are off to the SF Bay area tomorrow for a couple of days before heading back to Texas. I've been to Capitola before and loved it but I know it can't compete with San Diego in terms of convenience and services. There's SO much to do here....and it's beautiful!

Well, soon we will be back in hot humid Texas, 3-showers-a-day weather. Texas mosquitoes love me, scorpions and a snake (!) find their way into our house (we have to wear shoes inside the house for safety). Flying cockroach-like bugs they call Palmettos, wasps and mud dabbers find there way inside too. Oy! Those critters will motivate us to move to SD asap!

Once again, thank you all. God bless everyone here.

Hugs,
Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego