U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 AM

3 posts, read 6,021 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone!

Like the title says, I'm a 23 year old gay male wanting to move to SD from the Central Valley. I've decided to move by myself, though, and am weighing the pros and cons of the city. While I've always loved San Diego since my brother attended college there about 10 years ago, I have since come out, experienced and grown up a lot in the past few years and am now ready to fly the nest and attend college elsewhere. I have been set on San Diego (specifically the Hillcrest area, since I read it's the most gay-friendly and populated) but I was searching forums tonight and came upon more than a few local's perception that SD is for older, more reserved people despite the supposedly worthwhile nightlife. I'm planning on getting a studio somewhere close to Hillcrest, so I'll live alone in a town 6 hours away from the closest people to me...it's a big favor I'm asking any of you who have taken the time to read this seeing as it's a huge decision: in your opinion, is SD realllly a good place for an early-20's gay male looking to meet quality friends and focus on school? I appreciate any help whatsoever! Thank you so much for reading.

Gabe

Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,451,219 times
Ignore the comments about San Diego being for older, more reserved people. These comments are probably coming from folks who live north of the city along the I-15 corridor (i.e. the area between San Diego and the Lawrence Welk retirement village north of Escondido). San Diego has several large colleges and universities and a large military population which by its very nature skews young. This isn't Sun City, Arizona.

As for which particular neighborhood you should live in, don't be pinned down by the 'Hillcrest as the gay neighborhood' shibboleth. There are plenty of neighborhoods that might be better for you based on your school location and budget, transportation needs, and the general atmosphere you prefer. If you supply those details, particularly your school, the denizens of the board can provide you with a broader array of housing locations that might be better choices.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Ignore the comments about San Diego being for older, more reserved people. These comments are probably coming from folks who live north of the city along the I-15 corridor (i.e. the area between San Diego and the Lawrence Welk retirement village north of Escondido). San Diego has several large colleges and universities and a large military population which by its very nature skews young. This isn't Sun City, Arizona.

As for which particular neighborhood you should live in, don't be pinned down by the 'Hillcrest as the gay neighborhood' shibboleth. There are plenty of neighborhoods that might be better for you based on your school location and budget, transportation needs, and the general atmosphere you prefer. If you supply those details, particularly your school, the denizens of the board can provide you with a broader array of housing locations that might be better choices.
Thank you for responding so quickly and for the reassurance. I haven't officially picked a school yet, but it's for sure going to be a community college as I am moving to finish my AA from my city's own here. From what I've read, the most common and top rated ones were Mira Costa (but I did mapquest and find out it's 30-40 min from Hillcrest ) and San Diego City. But if there are other great ones, especially for the gay community, I would love to hear.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 AM

P.S. Budget is up to $850/month (hoping for a studio that allows a dog), I have a car, and I prefer areas where I can walk my dog and feel safe and also am most able to make friends (preferably other gay male in the same stage of life) that I can eventually call my 2nd family

Old 08-06-2010, 03:55 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,323,261 times
Hillcrest is a great neighborhood and the hub of all things gay (they just put on a great pride parade) but honestly folks here are pretty accepting so you'd likely fit in any where. If you're going to go to junior college first then you'll probably want to go to San Diego Mesa College as it is the largest junior college with the most classes at the most times. As long as you have a car you can easily reach it from any point in the city and it would probably take 10-15 minutes from Hillcrest.

One thing to think about. Unemployment is around 10% right now in San Diego due to the recess so even low wage jobs like waiters and pizza drivers are kind of hard to get. I'm not saying they're impossible to get but it will probably take longer to find a job then you think it will so plan accordingly and bring more money then you think you'll need. As for meeting new people it shouldn't be too hard since you'll be in college so you'll meet lots of people your age in your classes; if/when you transfer to a four year school then maybe live in the dorms for a year as I found that to be the best way to meet friends you'll keep in touch with for the rest of your life.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,323,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy158 View Post
P.S. Budget is up to $850/month (hoping for a studio that allows a dog), I have a car, and I prefer areas where I can walk my dog and feel safe and also am most able to make friends (preferably other gay male in the same stage of life) that I can eventually call my 2nd family
$850 won't get you a studio but from $500 (for a 10'x10') up to $800 (for a master with walk in closet and private bath) you can rent a room in just about any part of town. Most places will expect 1st months rent, last months rent, and a security deposit equal to one month's rent up front. There are lots of college kids, young professionals, and military people eager to rent out their spare rooms so you shouldn't have trouble finding a room in a house with folks you feel comfortable with. Allow yourself a good week (or at the very least a weekend) before you move to come down here and look at some of the neighborhoods and look at some of the housing options. That way you're not jumping blind and you can be fussy and pick out just the place you like.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,312,896 times
The size of your dog will play a major part in you finding a place to live. The larger the dog, the harder it will be to find a place to live. And as Oerdin stated above, $850 won't get you a studio in Hillcrest, but you may find older cottages in North Park and Normal Heights for $850 and under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or