Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times

Advertisements

Truthfully, the military is the biggest employer unskilled young people in Southern California. True, many of them are from other states. I am not suggesting that you join, but I am just trying to give you some idea of what the job market is like out here.
Other than that, unskilled jobs seem to be clustered in the low-paying fast food industry. However, I would bet that many of these people live with their families. So, they have indirect financial support and direct social support.
Don’t give-up your dream if you want to move to Southern California; just make sure that you have all your ducks lined-up in a row. Get the necessary job training and income, then make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notilloc View Post
Your lack of formality is appauling. Its ok though, I will just consider you another jealous individual incapable of handling the fact that there are wealthy people in this world and there are wealthy people in this world with no want or need for money.
what? Jealous? LOL!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:24 PM

46 posts, read 79,359 times
Quote:
The thing I am asking for is for some advice on location and direction, you know like on a compass. So therefore when I go there in a few weeks I will know where the good spots to look are. I have already gotten work off for my trip. Maybe someone would like to show me around town considering how good of friends we obviosly are. Yea I doubt that is going to happen maybe I will hire a tour guide to show me all of the tourist things and get as much of a run around as you guys are giving me.
Can you guys point me in the right direction of an area that will be a little rough around the edges but still have decent parking for my car and motorcycle. Point me in the right direction please I would like certain neighborhoods or streets or something that when i come down I can get a good idea of where to start my looking.

Just please say a suburb or a street or an address that I can look into that would be awesome thanks guys.
This ^

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Actually since you brought it up the total is closer to $30 million because I sold the houses in Edina MN and in Detroit lakes MN. The 24 is what I inherited and recieved from life insurance but now its more. Not exactly sure how much and like I said ealier dont really care. As for the shack I never said on the ocean. Within 3 miles, Did you read the post? I think im starting to doubt your reading abilities. Reading rainbow does wonders
I first heard the term 'troll' back around 1999 or 2000. Basically, it is a person who comes onto a forum such as this, makes an outlandish claim or talks smack, and then disappears. In recent times, with the prominence of Internet social sites, some people actually get off on creating whacky personalities on-line and leading people on. So, you can see how you are being a troll, right?

Anyways, I will bite. I will comment for three reasons:

1. I was born and raised in California.
2. I spent 10 years in Minneapolis.
3. I know someone in a similar situation as yours, and I do know that Minnesotans -even those who are filthy rich- are modest with their money.

Keep in mind that California is going through some serious economic hardships right now, so you will get a lot of "if I had 24 million than I would..." comments. You also got to keep in mind that Californians, particularly Southern Californians, are a fairly materialistic lot who will not really understand why someone with $24 million won't buy a mansion and be done with it.

So, like I said, I lived in Minneapolis and know some very influential people who live in Edina and Minnetonka, so I can attest that even if someone is filthy rich, they are not the type to flaunt it. The exact opposite from someone in SoCal.

I also know someone who grew up in Edina, went to Breck, and was basically groomed for the Ivy League. She inherited a boat load of cash, and like you, there were 'complications' with the inheritance. If you saw how she lived, you would not guess the amount of money she has at her finger tips. Or why she bothers to work. There is more to it, but that is all I am going to say. The Minnesotan attitude towards money is the polar opposite to the typical SoCal's attitude towards money. You probably won't understand, and neither will they.

Anyways, if you want to be near warm water and weather, than why don't you just go to Mexico? The resort towns are far safer than the roughest part of SD (and, by the way, Jordan and Frog Town are a joke compared to the 'rough' areas of SD), and your American dollar is going to go a lot further. Heck, you could live really comfortably on $10K a year or less.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:28 PM

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp36/maxwelldon/Miscelanous%20Things/FailThreadDie.png (broken link)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:34 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I just saw another commenter recommend this to someone on a different thread:
http://www.americorps.gov/
Apparently, you can request California if you want, and be paid a small salary while in nonmilitary service to the country.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM

46 posts, read 79,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I first heard the term 'troll' back around 1999 or 2000. Basically, it is a person who comes onto a forum such as this, makes an outlandish claim or talks smack, and then disappears. In recent times, with the prominence of Internet social sites, some people actually get off on creating whacky personalities on-line and leading people on. So, you can see how you are being a troll, right?

Anyways, I will bite. I will comment for three reasons:

1. I was born and raised in California.
2. I spent 10 years in Minneapolis.
3. I know someone in a similar situation as yours, and I do know that Minnesotans -even those who are filthy rich- are modest with their money.

Keep in mind that California is going through some serious economic hardships right now, so you will get a lot of "if I had 24 million than I would..." comments. You also got to keep in mind that Californians, particularly Southern Californians, are a fairly materialistic lot who will not really understand why someone with $24 million won't buy a mansion and be done with it.

So, like I said, I lived in Minneapolis and know some very influential people who live in Edina and Minnetonka, so I can attest that even if someone is filthy rich, they are not the type to flaunt it. The exact opposite from someone in SoCal.

I also know someone who grew up in Edina, went to Breck, and was basically groomed for the Ivy League. She inherited a boat load of cash, and like you, there were 'complications' with the inheritance. If you saw how she lived, you would not guess the amount of money she has at her finger tips. Or why she bothers to work. There is more to it, but that is all I am going to say. The Minnesotan attitude towards money is the polar opposite to the typical SoCal's attitude towards money. You probably won't understand, and neither will they.

Anyways, if you want to be near warm water and weather, than why don't you just go to Mexico? The resort towns are far safer than the roughest part of SD (and, by the way, Jordan and Frog Town are a joke compared to the 'rough' areas of SD), and your American dollar is going to go a lot further. Heck, you could live really comfortably on $10K a year or less.
Thank you for explaining troll to me. I guess by the fact that I have stayed on here and taken the abuse hoping that someone, anyone would be willing to help me out with my move would somewhat relinquish my troll status but who knows.
What does a person have to do to live there. would I have to become a citizen of mexico to live there? what kind of resort areas are there? I have been to mexico many times but cant think of a place that I would actually enjoy living in so if you could name a few I would greatly appreciate it. Also do you know of any areas in san diego that would fit my description, so when I visit I will have a destination instead of spending an entire day or two being a tourist and being lost. I just really want to make my trip purposefull and not a waste of time. I only have 3 days to figure out where I am going to be so I need to make my time count.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
I found lots actually a lot too much. That is why I am asking for help. I have googled it i have googled it i have googled it i have craigslisted it i have craigslisted it i have craigslisted it and one more time I have googled it i have googled it i have googled it and I have craigslisted it i have craigslisted it i have craigslisted it lots and lots of times. The thing I am asking for is for some advice on location and direction, you know like on a compass. So therefore when I go there in a few weeks I will know where the good spots to look are.
I think part of the problem is that there really are no "areas" with a large inventory of housing under $800, that are fairly close to the beach. It's more like a converted garage here, a studio some place else, maybe a one-bedroom someplace else, etc., hop scotching all along the coast.

I know you don't want to hear this, but Craigslist really is your best bet - just search for each beach city individually, limiting the results to under $800, and see what you get!

The one exception might be in Imperial Beach - I searched for under $800 there, and got 39 results - which may be rough - but it's a start.
san diego apts/housing for rent classifieds "imperial" - craigslist

But I bet you'd be happier in Pacific Beach or Ocean Beach - and you can find places for $800 in both of those communities as well - just not as many choices. But they're fun places to live! That's where I'd start my search if I was you...

Last edited by bouncethelight; 08-09-2010 at 10:52 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Thank you for explaining troll to me. I guess by the fact that I have stayed on here and taken the abuse hoping that someone, anyone would be willing to help me out with my move would somewhat relinquish my troll status but who knows.
What does a person have to do to live there. would I have to become a citizen of mexico to live there? what kind of resort areas are there? I have been to mexico many times but cant think of a place that I would actually enjoy living in so if you could name a few I would greatly appreciate it. Also do you know of any areas in san diego that would fit my description, so when I visit I will have a destination instead of spending an entire day or two being a tourist and being lost. I just really want to make my trip purposefull and not a waste of time. I only have 3 days to figure out where I am going to be so I need to make my time count.
Man, do I have an offer for you. For just $1 million (that's just 1/30th of your inheritance and other income), I -- a native San Diegan who has lived here for 40 years -- will show you anywhere you want. I will rent a car, I will pay for the gas, I will be yours for all three days of your stay here. I will show you every nook and cranny of the city. Just PM me so we can iron out the details. I accept PayPal!!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Man, do I have an offer for you. For just $1 million (that's just 1/30th of your inheritance and other income), I -- a native San Diegan who has lived here for 40 years -- will show you anywhere you want. I will rent a car, I will pay for the gas, I will be yours for all three days of your stay here. I will show you every nook and cranny of the city. Just PM me so we can iron out the details. I accept PayPal!!
HAHAHA Too funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego