U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,544 times
Default Working in Del Mar, where to live?

I know this has been asked a LOT of times, but I can't seem to get a good handle on things.

I'm starting work in about a week in del mar heights and I'm looking for a place to rent now. I'm mid 20s and looking for a place that has plenty of bars, restaurants, etc., and is a good place for my large dog. My budget is up to $1800 per month, but I would like to spend less if possible. I'm hoping for a 2 bedroom. It would also be REALLY nice to have a nice place that is newer or recently renovated, with a dishwasher, washer/dryer, etc.

I had my heart set on north PB as a place that is close enough to bars/restaurants and the beach, but not in the middle of the entire frat scene there. However, I can't seem to find much in any part of PB except from a company called San Diego Properties, which is INCREDIBLY shady (F BBB rating, 60 1 star ratings on Yelp, and has about 15 different phone numbers to confuse you while you are looking for apartments).

So I decided to look elsewhere. Last summer I lived in the Hillcrest area and really liked it, but I was only commuting to downtown. If I lived in Mission Hills, Hillcrest, or even downtown, what kind of commute am I really looking at? Depending on who I talk to I seem to hear anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour?

Also, how much better would the commute from PB really be? I hear it takes forever to get on to the freeway during rush hour in PB.

Finally, if anyone has another idea on how to find a place in north PB I would greatly appreciate it.

THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:28 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,874,335 times
If I were working in Del Mar, I'd be living in either Del Mar or Solana Beach. PB is nice but why fight the traffic?

Here's a nice Solana Beach rental: Discover How Home Should Feel (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/apa/1919281756.html - broken link)

Don't worry too much about finding the 'perfect rental.' You'll probably change your mind as to the best location for you after you've lived here for a while.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 23,447 times
Default North PB

If you are local, take a drive around North PB. There are a ton of rentals right now....there is a nice 2 bed 1 bath house with a yard on the 1600 block of Chalcedony. Right across the street from that is a rear three story "duplex" (bottom garage, two floors above the garage, two units side-by-side) that is just finishing being built that are going to be rental units....although I dont think either are listed yet, but they look to be just about finished. Neither (the house or duplex) are owned by property management companies, so you won't have that shadyness to deal with. It is also a very quiet neighborhood, but still walking distance to Garnet. Take a drive up and down Law, Chalcedony and Missouri from roughly Lamont St. to the ocean and you will see a bunch of rentals.

Getting out of North PB in the morning isn't that bad. It backs up a little because of the traffic light on Mission Bay Drive and the on-ramp to the 5 North, but once the light turns green, plenty of cars flow through. Also, there are ways to avoid the "obvious" Garnet to Mission Bay Drive to 5 North route that seems to back up more due to the traffic light at the intersection of Garnet and Mission Bay Drive.

It takes me about 15-20 minutes to get to La Jolla, so I would guess that Del Mar would take 20-30 minutes.

Last edited by Thomas8093; 08-27-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 08-28-2010, 11:40 AM

129 posts, read 202,372 times
If u need me to look through the mls for you, just ask. I'm a la jolla realtor. But I agree with the last poster about driving around yourself. Not only does it tell you a LOT about a specific area, but you can even find some rent by owners who suck at marketing. You might even get yourself a deal. Is PB really so attractive that you are willing to accept the travel inconvenience? Just make sure that's a yes before renting.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,544 times
Thanks for the help! I'll check out driving around north pb. My only problem so far is that my first question is always "do you take dogs" and they usually say no and hang up. Maybe I should meet them, convince them they want me as a tenant, THEN ask

SDinsider, you have a PM. Thanks

Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,874,335 times
Renting with a dog in San Diego is a big challenge. Someone posted this website on another thread: PET FRIENDLY APARTMENT RENTALS

Old 08-30-2010, 01:31 PM

129 posts, read 202,372 times
You got that right cruitr. It's just a headache that property managers will avoid if they have the chance. But more than once, I've had a manger/owner change their tune when faced with an actual rental app. I have one issue with advertised "pet friendly" buildings. Some of them REALLY attract pet owners. I mean...I love dogs, but I don't want to feel like I'm living in a kennel.haha Not all pet owners care as much about annoying their neighbors as I do. If you have a well mannered pooch, I would say keep hope alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego