Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,428 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone I am a recent college graduate and I am planning to move to San Diego around late August- mid September of next year. I have been trying to research neighborhoods and safe places to live as well.

I plan on finding a roommate(s) my first few months or year there. I have also been looking for jobs there as well. I have a Social Work degree, and various experiences in several job fields (mainly Higher Edu.), my interests and hobbies vary and I am very adaptable.

Does anyone have any advice on neighborhoods and/ or job searching? (Valuable input is appreciated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Just have lots of money saved up before you make your move.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM

129 posts, read 340,614 times
My wife put out some resumes last week since she doesn't like the travel of her current job. She landed 4 interviews, and 2 offers in less than a week. Both offers even pay better. This will NOT be the case for everyone. So don't get me wrong! Some industries are just dry. But the point is, look into work possibilities asap. Your job will have an effect on where you live, AND your budget. It's hard to do from a distance....but I'd focus on that if possible.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:12 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
SDinsider...
Very impressive. What skills does your wife have? What industry does she work in?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM

It's the real estate industry believe it or not. But she does have a ton of experience with REO's, short sales, TC work, ...not to mention a background in secondary marketing with Provident. So when people say "real estate is dead" I kind of chuckle. The residential sales side of things(where I am) sucks of course.haha But there are some people making a killing in real estate in Ca right now. Even many investor/flippers that I know now.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
SDinsider...
Congrats. Always nice to have a wife with marketable skills.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM

Thanks cruitr...guess that makes me the wife, huh? Oops, that was probably sexist.

But back the poster. If you can get out here ahead of time, it's well worth it. Get some leads and interviews set up to hit up while you're out here. That would answer a lot of your questions.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 19,982 times
I'll give away a secret for getting interviews in San Diego when you are not local. Granted, this is sophmoric and is just short of showing up in a wooden horse, but it worked for me.

I was living out of state but knew I was moving here because of my wife's work. I submitted my resume to literally hundreds of jobs I was highly qualified for w/little response. One recruiter confided in me and told me that I likely wasn't getting any response because I lived out of State. She said she receives resumes from all over the world since SD is a place that people desire to live. Depending on the industry, many employers don't seriously consider resumes from out of state applicants.

My solution was to remove my address from my resume and had my cell number changed to 858 area code. Once I did that, I got a much better response and landed a position. W

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

422 posts, read 791,778 times
I've done similar. Rented a UPS Store box and used google voice (free!) to get a local phone number. Makes the world of difference.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,428 times
Thank you all for your input. I will remember to remove my out of state address from my resume and will be looking into renting a UPS Store Box!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: