Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 AM

26 posts, read 105,023 times

Advertisements

If you are from NYC area ( as I was ) huge culture shock.. I feel I am not in a city. But if you can live in a mini city ( this is a relative statement for New Yorkers Chicagoans and the like .. sorry ) , San Diego has much to recommend it. It is much more outdoors oriented. If fancy restaurants are your thing, NYC wins by a mile. If exercise, ocean, surfing, boating are your thing, San Diego wins. But the economy is the elephant in the living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM

269 posts, read 666,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbe nimble View Post
If you are from NYC area ( as I was ) huge culture shock.. I feel I am not in a city. But if you can live in a mini city ( this is a relative statement for New Yorkers Chicagoans and the like .. sorry ) , San Diego has much to recommend it. It is much more outdoors oriented. If fancy restaurants are your thing, NYC wins by a mile. If exercise, ocean, surfing, boating are your thing, San Diego wins. But the economy is the elephant in the living room.
About the elephant: yes but you would say the economy is much worse in socal than NYC?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM

26 posts, read 105,023 times
Wink Unqualified on the differences between baby elephants

I am as far as one can be from qualified to speak with authority about the economic nuances between one American city and another. The Giant elephant to which I do refer, is the general tenor of this nation and likely, world.

Always consider the SOURCE of ( not yelling , emphasizing lol ) your information. In this case, I am a pessimist, with fringes of optimism and realistic highlights.
In my business, no matter who I speak to, ( I speak to NYC metro area, Detroit, Vegas, DC and S CA ) I hear the same tune, economy is unprecedentedly sluggish.
I am considering moving to India where I understand having an elephant in your living room is more the norm. If that makes any sense.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
I agree with the poster from Miami. I too was born and raised in Miami and the people here are very unattractive to me. I've found myself settling with the men here because it's like you can't find anything better. I can't stand the people here either. All of you guys do is blab on and on about how great the weather is here. But honestly, who gives a crap?! I've lived in Europe, Canada, the east coast and I love me some ****ty and unpredictable weather. I love it when the sky is darken with clouds; I love it when there is thunderstorms and the sky flashes with lightening. I've never seen something as beautiful as what nature has to offer. One gets bored with the constant sunshine and cloudless days. Boy do I miss the days of my youth back in Miami.

After college, I will definitely be moving back to the east coast.

Also, the people here suck. I'm sorry. I'm very honest and blunt and if you say the smallest thing you can easily offend someone. I'm not here to cater to your needs and I'm sick of people being fake nice to me. If you hate me, then hate me. If you dislike me, glare at me and tell me. I'm sick of people being nice to my face and then turning around. Also, it is so impossible to make lasting relationships with people here. I don't care about the damn beach, the Chargers, and buying ****. I care about making lasting and loving relationships with people that I care about. I either get the stank eye or people act flaky as hell. I hate it. It's disrespectful and rude. My mother is southern and my father is European, I'm not USED to this type of behavior and I never will be.

Maybe it's different in other Californian cities, but after five years I can tell you that I absolutely abhor this place. What a vile and uncultured place to be.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanhue View Post
Also, the people here suck. I'm sorry. I'm very honest and blunt and if you say the smallest thing you can easily offend someone. I'm not here to cater to your needs and I'm sick of people being fake nice to me. If you hate me, then hate me. If you dislike me, glare at me and tell me. I'm sick of people being nice to my face and then turning around.
Too funny.........a Florida native trying to give New York attitude! Massive fail.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
I agree with the poster from Miami. I too was born and raised in Miami and the people here are very unattractive to me. I've found myself settling with the men here because it's like you can't find anything better. I can't stand the people here either. All of you guys do is blab on and on about how great the weather is here. But honestly, who gives a crap?! I've lived in Europe, Canada, the east coast and I love me some ****ty and unpredictable weather. I love it when the sky is darken with clouds; I love it when there is thunderstorms and the sky flashes with lightening. I've never seen something as beautiful as what nature has to offer. One gets bored with the constant sunshine and cloudless days. Boy do I miss the days of my youth back in Miami.
Also, the people here suck. I'm sorry. I'm very honest and blunt and if you say the smallest thing you can easily offend someone. I'm not here to cater to your needs and I'm sick of people being fake nice to me. If you hate me, then hate me. If you dislike me, glare at me and tell me. I'm sick of people being nice to my face and then turning around. Also, it is so impossible to make lasting relationships with people here. I don't care about the damn beach, the Chargers, and buying ****. I care about making lasting and loving relationships with people that I care about. I either get the stank eye or people act flaky as hell. I hate it. It's disrespectful and rude. My mother is southern and my father is European, I'm not USED to this type of behavior and I never will be.
Maybe it's different in other Californian cities, but after five years I can tell you that I absolutely abhor this place. What a vile and uncultured place to be.
San Diego is definitely not your place, oceanhue!
But if I'm reading you correctly, you are here attending college - meaning you're stuck here until you graduate, right?
Why not make the best of it, then?
With your negative attitude towards the weather, the city and the people, it's no wonder you can't make lasting relationships!!! And apparently, on top of that, you don't hesitate to tell people what you think - which appears to be: they all suck! Every one of them!
And that darn stupid weather! And the beach! Oh, the horror!
Just think: you could be whooping it up in Fargo, Detroit, Tripoli...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:

pleasssse

Old 04-18-2011, 02:41 AM

296 posts, read 614,282 times
I miss the rosy optimism of Southern California.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,268 times
One thing that I wish wasn't true is how cold the Pacific is in SD. I looks so beautiful and with the great weather, I wish i could just walk out and start floating around without needed a suit. I guess I had the imagination that this (the water) would be warmer before i moved here.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
One thing that I wish wasn't true is how cold the Pacific is in SD. I looks so beautiful and with the great weather, I wish i could just walk out and start floating around without needed a suit. I guess I had the imagination that this (the water) would be warmer before i moved here.
Yes, I'm hoping the ocean temperature warms up through the 60s to 70 degrees this year. If you need any reminder how non optimal last summer was, see this past weekend. Saturday - the way it should be. Sunday - the way it was in 2010 (cold marine layer all day).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego