Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 03:45 PM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Ok, so I see you and Bloom briefly discussed this and you indicated that you were having a bad week: having to deal with a kid who is being bullied (the topic of bullying is important to me and I am sincerely very sorry about this and offer a solution below). Despite the exchange, the statement was ridiculous. No LA is hardly all about gangs, nor is San Francisco "just" about same sex marriage. I am not touching Seattle.

Now on to the bullying issue. I very much support a change in the law to make parents liable (responsible) for the civil wrongs committed by their children. This has only been an unspoken rule, e.g. a kid who throws a softball through his neighbor's window leads to the parents paying for the replacement of that window. Kids get away with things that we would never permit for adults. I am not just talking about hurt feelings, but extreme harassment and thereby causing great distress to other parent's kids. We'd have to make it not mere negligence parents, but any time the acts are intentional/gross negligence. The consequences of not having this rule leads to some gun (AND OTHER) violence whether to themselves or others, destructive behavior etc. I am not a loon and do not believe that we can totally control kids like adults, but if we changed the law to make their parents liable, even though it would lead to an increase in litigation (admittedly not the desired outcome), the fear of that litigation alone would make parents control their kids. Imagine the other impacts for damaged private property, trespassing, vandalism or destruction of public property! Cities would recoup huge expenses for vandalism or other harms if the parents are not indigent.

Now you may be thinking that some of the parents of troublesome kids are indigent and therefore wouldn't care what their kids do. Not so fast. I think we have gotten to a point in our history where we allow the children of poor people a pass for abhorrent behavior. If we changed the law, we could add a section that made children of very poor people who fail to control their children subject to lose social benefits. Watch how things change and fast.

Of course, you'd have to get this past the legislature. Oh and the wealthy (and advocates for the poor) would oppose this for obvious reasons. So we go on living like we do with kids getting a pass for unbelievably unacceptable behavior that their parents do nothing to prevent. And no, I am not talking about 5 year olds.
Oh I be that would solve it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
I so much miss the Chicago winters. 35 below zero and ice and snow 6 months of the year was the delight of my childhood. palm trees and swimming in the ocean in May is such a turn off.
I sure miss the good old days.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 AM

29 posts, read 66,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I so much miss the Chicago winters. 35 below zero and ice and snow 6 months of the year was the delight of my childhood. palm trees and swimming in the ocean in May is such a turn off.
I sure miss the good old days.
I hear you. San Diego's climate is just so BORING. When I step out my front door in the morning, I like a nice blast of arctic wind in my face...it really wakes me up. I also enjoy scraping ice off my windshield before I go to work. San Diego offers neither.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfHearts View Post
I hear you. San Diego's climate is just so BORING. When I step out my front door in the morning, I like a nice blast of arctic wind in my face...it really wakes me up. I also enjoy scraping ice off my windshield before I go to work. San Diego offers neither.
Nothing says "wake up" like a fall on black ice

Old 06-02-2014, 10:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Believe it or not, my husband worked with a guy out here, who constantly complained about the weather. He actually complained about EVERYTHING, so nothing was going to make this guy happy, but, stance was there is never a cloud in the sky. Blue skies day after day, mild temps...how boring! This guy was from NY. LOL

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Believe it or not, my husband worked with a guy out here, who constantly complained about the weather. He actually complained about EVERYTHING, so nothing was going to make this guy happy, but, stance was there is never a cloud in the sky. Blue skies day after day, mild temps...how boring! This guy was from NY. LOL
It is boring weather. And freezing cold is not fun either. Strangley enough, both can be true at the same time! Lol imagine that. Just depends in what you find interesting in life. No area or even its weather is going to be perfect, objectively speaking.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:16 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
The weather here is "beautifully boring"....which I'll take any day of the week over "miserably interesting"

Old 06-02-2014, 12:10 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
The weather here is "beautifully boring"....which I'll take any day of the week over "miserably interesting"
Amen!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
There is some variation to the weather i.e. I loved the fog last night as it rolled in at sunset --- soooooo much nicer than the clear windy days that sparked the fires.

The variations here in CA are more subtle but become more obvious and real the longer you live here (at first you could not convince me there is a defined summer or winter).

That said, the weather is boring sometimes and I miss the spring and summer flush of thunderstorms and life/green. I don't miss fall and winter as much, but sometimes. Then, I never disliked thunderstorms and summer/spring. It was something to give up when moving away.

Winter I was never as fond of except sometimes I miss ice skating on natural lakes...and the comraderie that goes along with dealing with winter.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Lol your definition of "miserable" and mine are not the same. I lived in heavy winter snow for 9 yrs and it's not that bad. The weather has never made me miserable in any city. Jeez put on.a jacket and focus on other things. There are good and bad to each climate but the people that sarcastically chide other geographical areas will never get it. I have an attorney friend that went to school in Chicago and loved the weather and everything about the city, and another coworker in our SD that described SD's weather unprovoked as "boring". Everyone has different tastes. Personally SD's weather would prob be fine for me but definitely not "ideal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego