Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Chargers will move to L.A.?
Yes 28 46.67%
Hell no! 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 AM

123 posts, read 405,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
That's low, so low. It has spread like wildfire to all Charger fans. Surely, more Chargers fans have spoken then people against it.

I believe the people against it should grow up. A new stadium can be used for World Cup, Super Bowl and other events which would help nearby businesses and hotels.
I think those against it have spoken pretty clearly in the past, and that we outnumber those for it. A new Charger stadium is a political hot potato. You best pass it off to someone else and fast or your political career is going to be on hold for an election cycle or two.

My business helps local businesses too. I spend plenty of money here in the process of doing business. Should taxpayers build me a new shop? Building me a new shop would stimulate the construction economy and increase the tax basis of the property it is built on. Come on--fork over some dough for me. It'll be good for all of us. I promise.

Or is it just that the Chargers are too big to fail, and we need to bail them out?

By the way, "low" is suggesting that the responsible people who are trying to keep us out of more fiscal hell are the ones who need to "grow up".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 11:11 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
I get the feeling that many of you don't want to see San Diego progress. A new state of the art stadium would help the city progress and get into the national market for competing for national events like the Olympics or World Cup etc.

You all act like you want San Diego to just stay the same. It is maturing whether you people like it or not. Every American city grows and gets better. San Diego is on that path.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM

123 posts, read 405,404 times
Progress is when the kids grow up, move out and pay their own bills.

It's time professional sports grew up.

I have nothing against development of the city. I am all for getting the shackles off of developers. At the same time, I want them to foot their own bill. I shouldn't be paying them to make their own profit.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Mr. Fabiani said Chargers and NFL could put $400 million into a new stadium, the previous private investment was $300 million. Also said the deal has to be a win for the team and taxpayers.

Mark Fabiani Discusses Latest On Chargers' Push For New Stadium | KPBS.org

Build this thing! Letting the Chargers go would be the dumbest thing this city ever allowed to happen. Public/Private ventures happen, and will benefit San Diego in the long run. No, I am not an economist, nor do I need to be one to see that letting one of the biggest draws to our city just walk away is a bad idea. If the Chargers leave, the SDSU NCAA football program is probably going to fold too... how are we going to pay for the upkeep of that stadium when there is no NFL tenant? With college football ticket fees? The television revenue for the Aztec games? That's a joke.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM

50,234 posts, read 46,991,184 times
500 million? Interesting read.

http://www.sandiego.gov/fm/annual/pd...19av2petco.pdf

Note on Pg 8 under REVENUE, The notation of "Transfer from Transient Occupancy Tax Fund" That is at least in part the City Subsidy! Also notice how much, or actually how little the Padres pay in rent for the season, and how much the 'Extra Events actually "earn' the City!

Here is the Qualcomm Official City Audit for FY 2009:

http://docs.sandiego.gov/councilcomm..._090601-4a.pdf

Look at the pie chart on page 8 of the audit, and notice that 64% of Qualcomm's "revenue" is made up of the $10,852,502 of TOT subsidies.The Chargers also pay a couple million in rent at the Q. These are solid jobs already in existence.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 11-23-2010 at 06:35 AM..

Old 12-01-2010, 09:39 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
Looks like things are moving along...

L.A. rumors prompt NFL fans in San Diego and Minnesota to show their love - latimes.com

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM

MOD CUT

We will rise up and boycott the NFL and Los Angeles if this happens.

Like the article said though, it was just a rumor. LA doesn't deserve a team. it's done fine without the NFL.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-05-2010 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: you've got to be kidding...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Ive had the pleasure of meeting the Chargers at the San Diego Chargers blood drive yesterday and they were awesome guys. I do NOT think they should leave San Diego at all. I've lived here all my life and love the Chargers from lose to win. Every fan here would be sad! They had thousands of fans at the blood drive that waited hours to meet them. Please don't leave! Plus the Chargers helpm out the community with food drives, blood drives and other such events.

Don't go to LA!!! Nothing is better there. The community has continued to support the team year after year win or lose. Going to a new city, especially in socal, would take years to earn the kind of support already in SD. I feel this team represents the city more than anything else. Only our military ties are equally identifiable. Losing the team would be very depressing.

MOD CUT

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-05-2010 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I get the feeling that many of you don't want to see San Diego progress. A new state of the art stadium would help the city progress and get into the national market for competing for national events like the Olympics or World Cup etc.

You all act like you want San Diego to just stay the same. It is maturing whether you people like it or not. Every American city grows and gets better. San Diego is on that path.
I do want to see San Diego progress. I can think of literally dozens of things I want to see built or reformed but all of them, and I do mean all of them, become less likely to occur if we allow a billionaire to suck up $1 billion in tax payer money simply because he doesn't want to spend his own money and would prefer the tax payers take all the risk and pay all the interest & principle instead of him. Screw that. He can either pay his own way as two other NFL teams have recently or he can take a hike out of town but the shake downs end here.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Los Angeles is being a leech here.

They stole the Clippers from San Diego & Lakers from Minneapolis (Minnesota) already and those were NBA teams and now they want to take the Chargers & Vikings too (NFL)?

Los Angeles has had like what, 3 NFL teams in the past? Yeah seriously they got outdone by freakin Jacksonville in 1997 for an expansion franchise. Los Angeles was freakin 16,000,000 people in 1997 and Jacksonville was 1,000,000 people. And Los Angeles got outdone. They got outdone by Charlotte too when Charlotte got the Panthers while Los Angeles still didn't have a NFL team.

Seriously, I don't think Los Angeles should be getting ANYONES team at all. They best wait their turn for the next expansion franchise. Is it possible for Los Angeles for once in its history to get a team without stealing someones team? They stole the Dodgers from Brooklyn, they stole the Lakers from Minneapolis/Minnesota, they stole the Clippers from San Diego, and now they're trying to steal another team from another city (possibly a city they've stolen from before).

Los Angeles is being a monster here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego