Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Chargers will move to L.A.?
Yes 28 46.67%
Hell no! 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times

Advertisements

Uh, the Chargers were founded in Los Angeles. The only reason western cities have to "steal" teams is because the leagues were founded way back when on the east coast. If they all restarted from scratch today, LA would be in the first phase.

And the only reason teams have left LA is the same reason all three current California teams are threatening relocation: voters don't like to fund the construction of these venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:22 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
I'm hoping the recent rumors aren't true, but where there is smoke there is fire. If they do relocate to LA, maybe they can change the name to the SoCal Chargers?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Uh, the Chargers were founded in Los Angeles. The only reason western cities have to "steal" teams is because the leagues were founded way back when on the east coast. If they all restarted from scratch today, LA would be in the first phase.
Um...The Chargers were there for only one year!

They have been the San Diego Chargers for 50 years, so they should stay that way. The team defines San Diego. LA is just a greedy monster.

Nice post Danny! Couldn't agree more

I read somewhere recently (not sure if it was this site) that a poll done in Pasadena showed a majority of the people there do not want the NFL.

Last edited by BacktoBlue; 12-02-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
I'm not advocating a move. I ****ing hate AEG. They stole my team before, too.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Chargers don't belong to Los Angeles anymore. Taking anything is stealing, especially since San Diego has had it for over half a century. I haven't even been alive for half of that century.

The point is that Los Angeles is a thief. Don't get me wrong, I freakin love Los Angeles, and I love the Lakers too, but it doesn't hide the fact that Los Angeles is a thief.

Minneapolis had the Lakers from scratch, and they WON 5 times in Minneapolis and got moved to Los Angeles. The Brooklyn Dodgers won their very first world series in Brooklyn and the next season got moved to Los Angeles, how do you think those Brooklyn fans felt? How about the ones in Minneapolis?

Los Angeles knows what its like to lose teams, and it sucks doesn't it, I mean of course it does. It's been making the freakin press all the way to where I live for the past 7 years that they are going to get a team "next year for sure" never happened and its all hyped.

The Chargers should stay in San Diego. Los Angeles needs to figure its way out for itself instead of using its media capabilities scaring people in cities fraction of the size of itself.

The hell does Los Angeles get out of scaring Buffalonians? San Diegans? Minnesotans? For a lot of those cities their teams are their avatar, and it's screwed up that Los Angeles is playing big bad cop to get it.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
The Chargers don't belong to Los Angeles anymore. Taking anything is stealing, especially since San Diego has had it for over half a century. I haven't even been alive for half of that century.

The point is that Los Angeles is a thief. Don't get me wrong, I freakin love Los Angeles, and I love the Lakers too, but it doesn't hide the fact that Los Angeles is a thief.

Minneapolis had the Lakers from scratch, and they WON 5 times in Minneapolis and got moved to Los Angeles. The Brooklyn Dodgers won their very first world series in Brooklyn and the next season got moved to Los Angeles, how do you think those Brooklyn fans felt? How about the ones in Minneapolis?

Los Angeles knows what its like to lose teams, and it sucks doesn't it, I mean of course it does. It's been making the freakin press all the way to where I live for the past 7 years that they are going to get a team "next year for sure" never happened and its all hyped.

The Chargers should stay in San Diego. Los Angeles needs to figure its way out for itself instead of using its media capabilities scaring people in cities fraction of the size of itself.

The hell does Los Angeles get out of scaring Buffalonians? San Diegans? Minnesotans? For a lot of those cities their teams are their avatar, and it's screwed up that Los Angeles is playing big bad cop to get it.
Come on Danny, this is getting silly & childish. So any city who inherits a team from another city is guilty of "scaring" and "stealing"? Should we go down the list of every move a team has made including the many teams in your state and then accuse places like Dallas of "stealing"? Remember the Washington Senators before they became the Texas Rangers? Or better yet, since the Houston Rockets were once from San Diego should we consider Houston as being thieves?

Professional sports is a big business and teams go where they get paid, plain and simple. Did Los Angeles go bananas and accuse St Louis of stealing the Rams or Oakland for taking back the Raiders? No, the resentment was toward the team owners and the NFL for allowing these moves. Just because some business men in Los Angeles are considering a buy into part ownership of the Chargers means that the family that owns the Chargers may be interested. No body is forcing the sell or forcing any team to move to another city.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Danny is right though.

Los Angeles is like a bully throwing it's power and weight around. They already tried to steal our Comic Con and you can say "it's a business thing" but the city could step in and say they don't want the Chargers sso we can keep them. I know you want an NFL team in LA but you need to wait until it is YOUR OWN team. LA did fine without the NFL for 10 plus years, they can make it longer without one. If they did move, I know me and several other Chargers fans WOULD NOT drive to LA. No offense but there is too much traffic in LA for me to drive up there for a football game. It would be a rip off for San Diegans to have to pay for gas and game tickets. Why should San Diegans who were slapped in the face want to go help LA with the team? It will fail being in LA.

Everything I've read indicates that residents there don't want the NFL. They have UCLA and that's more than enough for them

Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Come on Danny, this is getting silly & childish. So any city who inherits a team from another city is guilty of "scaring" and "stealing"? Should we go down the list of every move a team has made including the many teams in your state and then accuse places like Dallas of "stealing"? Remember the Washington Senators before they became the Texas Rangers? Or better yet, since the Houston Rockets were once from San Diego should we consider Houston as being thieves?
LOL I hate Dallas sports! Lets go through Dallas's inventory one day to be honest. I rag on Dallas all day long for their sports.

Eh sports can be an emotional thing for some but a logical thing for many. For me the Chargers are one of my favorite teams mostly because I actually did get to go to their games when I was in San Diego. So I hold a few sentimental attachments to them relatively as much as I can for an NFL team since NFL isn't my main sport, which is why I may be a bit harsh right about now.

Eh yes, Houston was a thief. They did rob San Diego of a team, and if they were doing it again I would say it again to them. I don't play with double standards, what I say for one city applies to them all, regardless of where it is and what it is. If a city was trying to oust Los Angeles of the Lakers I would probably be the first one to email that given city's mayor and tell them to eff off and look elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Professional sports is a big business and teams go where they get paid, plain and simple.
I know what business is, I'm business minded to the core. You go for where the money takes you, no ifs ands or buts about it.

And I know Los Angeles is in need of a team. But why a team from a successful market? More revenue for the entire league can be made with a relocation from Jacksonville more than anywhere else in the league. I know its up to the owner and the league to decide to, but why hasn't Los Angeles made any incentives to Jacksonville yet like they were trying to 2 years ago and aggressively land that team instead of trying for Minnesota or San Diego two among the most successful markets in the country?

Think of it this way, what does the league get out of it moving from San Diego and not Jacksonville, they actually lose money annually then. Jacksonville is a small market of 1.3 Million, hardly any passionate fans and no local economy of sports bars and the likes near the stadium to push any revenue. I know San Diego has all that and it contributes $2 Billion to the local economy where as Jacksonville only does $225 Million. If San Diego can keep its team and Jacksonville transfers to Los Angeles and generates $6 Billion locally in the economy, than the league wins out more with that move IF Los Angeles can keep attendance figures moderate to high. See what I am saying?

However, where is the guarantee that they will prosper to a sell out stadium game? Or the likes? If you can show me any projects or anything that can show speculated draws from the crowds of any given city to the team I will concede that its true.

Its not childish at all, from my perspective Los Angeles is the 2nd largest Media Market in the United States, but it hasn't had NFL in well over a decade to the point where drawing crowds and attendance for its games isn't something that they can likely project. Los Angeles isn't the same city it was in 1995, it is 2 Million people larger, and it has unknown potential. It can be there, but who is to know? If you know anything about any kind of projections for Los Angeles's NFL attendance/attendance projections, then let me know.

A lot of what I thought for it was that San Diego sells out its games. If Los Angeles wants a team, Jacksonville is straight up the first place to go. They don't have any support for their team, and that's the city that really cant support one with its current size and lack of sports history.

San Diego from what I know sells out its games, fills up its stadiums, and gets the city on alert when their team plays, which is why its an icon for the city's sports.

Last edited by DANNYY; 12-03-2010 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Tweak

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Danny is right though.

Los Angeles is like a bully throwing it's power and weight around. They already tried to steal our Comic Con and you can say "it's a business thing" but the city could step in and say they don't want the Chargers sso we can keep them. I know you want an NFL team in LA but you need to wait until it is YOUR OWN team. LA did fine without the NFL for 10 plus years, they can make it longer without one. If they did move, I know me and several other Chargers fans WOULD NOT drive to LA. No offense but there is too much traffic in LA for me to drive up there for a football game. It would be a rip off for San Diegans to have to pay for gas and game tickets. Why should San Diegans who were slapped in the face want to go help LA with the team? It will fail being in LA.

Everything I've read indicates that residents there don't want the NFL. They have UCLA and that's more than enough for them
You keep writing that this is a matter of one city overpowering another when that is truly infantile. Are hordes of Angelenos storming San Diego trying to "steal" the Chargers away like kidnapping? The mayor of LA & the city council have never weighed in on this issue other than to consult with the NFL over building a stadium and where. Even the governor has played a role in getting business interests to invest in construction. I'm not sure if securing a team is even pertinent before the actual stadium is built and it could very well be located outside of Los Angeles city limits [both the Walnut\ City of Industry site and around Rancho Dominguez\ Carson have been proposed sites to build a stadium]. Now that AEG [a large business corporation that owns Staples Center\ LA Live] is involved it may be that the stadium is located downtown adjacent to Staples\ Convention Center. The news that AEG is considering part ownership of the Chargers does suggest that they are interested in relocating the team to Los Angeles. I'm not sure why they are looking at the Chargers but I have read that contact has also been made with the Vikings. If the owners of both teams are interested in selling their teams or allowing a buy out of sorts then the people of San Diego and Minneapolis should put pressure on their own business communities\ elected officials to keep the teams. But generally that means the team owners want something from the city like a new stadium.

Los Angeles is not putting any tax money into constructing a stadium; that has been the position of the city all along. Staples was built with private investments though I believe the city gave out generous tax breaks and such.

Ultimately it is the NFL that calls the shots and it is no secret that they use disputes between owners and cities to force cities to build better stadiums. Los Angeles does own the Coliseum where the Rams and Raiders played but the NFL want a bigger stadium and will not accept the Coliseum. So now the "ball" is in the hands of investors if a stadium is going to be built. Based on current talks it appears this is starting to take shape.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
LOL I hate Dallas sports! Lets go through Dallas's inventory one day to be honest. I rag on Dallas all day long for their sports.

Eh sports can be an emotional thing for some but a logical thing for many. For me the Chargers are one of my favorite teams mostly because I actually did get to go to their games when I was in San Diego. So I hold a few sentimental attachments to them relatively as much as I can for an NFL team since NFL isn't my main sport, which is why I may be a bit harsh right about now.

Eh yes, Houston was a thief. They did rob San Diego of a team, and if they were doing it again I would say it again to them. I don't play with double standards, what I say for one city applies to them all, regardless of where it is and what it is. If a city was trying to oust Los Angeles of the Lakers I would probably be the first one to email that given city's mayor and tell them to eff off and look elsewhere.

I know what business is, I'm business minded to the core. You go for where the money takes you, no ifs ands or buts about it.

And I know Los Angeles is in need of a team. But why a team from a successful market? More revenue for the entire league can be made with a relocation from Jacksonville more than anywhere else in the league. I know its up to the owner and the league to decide to, but why hasn't Los Angeles made any incentives to Jacksonville yet like they were trying to 2 years ago and aggressively land that team instead of trying for Minnesota or San Diego two among the most successful markets in the country?

Think of it this way, what does the league get out of it moving from San Diego and not Jacksonville, they actually lose money annually then. Jacksonville is a small market of 1.3 Million, hardly any passionate fans and no local economy of sports bars and the likes near the stadium to push any revenue. I know San Diego has all that and it contributes $2 Billion to the local economy where as Jacksonville only does $225 Million. If San Diego can keep its team and Jacksonville transfers to Los Angeles and generates $6 Billion locally in the economy, than the league wins out more with that move IF Los Angeles can keep attendance figures moderate to high. See what I am saying?

However, where is the guarantee that they will prosper to a sell out stadium game? Or the likes? If you can show me any projects or anything that can show speculated draws from the crowds of any given city to the team I will concede that its true.

Its not childish at all, from my perspective Los Angeles is the 2nd largest Media Market in the United States, but it hasn't had NFL in well over a decade to the point where drawing crowds and attendance for its games isn't something that they can likely project. Los Angeles isn't the same city it was in 1995, it is 2 Million people larger, and it has unknown potential. It can be there, but who is to know? If you know anything about any kind of projections for Los Angeles's NFL attendance/attendance projections, then let me know.

A lot of what I thought for it was that San Diego sells out its games. If Los Angeles wants a team, Jacksonville is straight up the first place to go. They don't have any support for their team, and that's the city that really cant support one with its current size and lack of sports history.

San Diego from what I know sells out its games, fills up its stadiums, and gets the city on alert when their team plays, which is why its an icon for the city's sports.
Aside from the emotional aspect of fans, teams are strictly business. When corporations leave California for other states it is merely to make more money in an environment of lower taxes and less restrictions. That is why California loses companies because we tax high and fine high if a business pollutes or mistreats its employees. Does a company from California really want to relocate to states like Arkansas or Oklahoma for the lifestyle or climate? I don't think so. And some employees likely quit before unrooting themselves to a state less desirable on a personal level. Those are the choices companies and individuals must make if profit is the number one concern.

Personally, I think a team like the Vikings would love to move to southern California. If a person has plenty of money than it is very desirable living in Los Angeles and why many athletes retire here.

Footballfreak has a better idea if the Chargers are selling out each game since I don't keep track of that. Maybe they don't. Is it merely an issue of a new stadium? I do know that there are, in-fact Charger fans in LA because people drive down or take the Amtrak Surfliner train to games. Also local LA TV stations do devote more coverage of Chargers games during sports news.

This situation with Jacksonville is different to some degree. I have read that attendance is poor and overall interest seems to be lagging; so maybe the Jaguars would be a better fit for LA. I don't think the NFL wants to open a new franchise so it looks like a team is going to move to Los Angeles. But all of this is likely 2 years away; constructing a stadium takes time and a site hasn't even been selected yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego