U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM

2,495 posts, read 5,259,454 times
Default Mission Valley to Carlsbad commute... how much would it suck?

So, I might be considering a job in Carlsbad sometime soon (near Legoland). I currently live Mission Valley, San Diego... near the Qualcomm stadium. This job would be for more pay than my current position in Downtown San Diego, but... is that commute going to make me hate life?

I'm trying to weigh out my options to see if it's worth going for. We wouldn't really want to consider moving because honestly I really enjoy being close to San Diego itself at this point, rather than North County (although I do like many parts of North County). Plus our lease runs until June.

The job would be standard office hours, 9-5 M-F. Google Maps says door to door it would be 35 minutes each way without traffic--but I'm thinking that I'd have to give at least an hour each way because of traffic.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 02:45 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,788,912 times
I don't think it'd be that bad. You're doing the classic reverse commute. You'll giggle with glee as you see the parking lot on the opposite side of the 5 heading south from the Del Mar racetrack all the way to your off ramp in Carlsbad. I bet you could do it in 30 mins each way. Now, during summer, when the fair and races are going, your drive home could be longer. Could be an hour to get home then, but other than that, I'd say you're fine.
Another thought, if you can catch the Coaster northbound at Old Town, the Poinsettia station in Carlsbad is very near Legoland/Palomar Airport area. Could be an option for you, not sure.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 PM

1,996 posts, read 1,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I don't think it'd be that bad. You're doing the classic reverse commute. You'll giggle with glee as you see the parking lot on the opposite side of the 5 heading south from the Del Mar racetrack all the way to your off ramp in Carlsbad. I bet you could do it in 30 mins each way. Now, during summer, when the fair and races are going, your drive home could be longer. Could be an hour to get home then, but other than that, I'd say you're fine.
Another thought, if you can catch the Coaster northbound at Old Town, the Poinsettia station in Carlsbad is very near Legoland/Palomar Airport area. Could be an option for you, not sure.
I can't speak to your morning commute (I used to drive up that way like 10 years ago and don't remember too many issues, but that may have changed), but in the afternoons it can get *pretty* sucky getting back from up there. The 5 and the 805 can be miserable coming off the split.

I second the coaster idea if you can manage that- you can park at Old Town and hop the train to work, then maybe take a bike or something to get from the train station to your job?

Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 PM

7,060 posts, read 17,427,164 times
It's a sucky commute. It's not really a reverse commute because you have all the northbound traffic south of 56. It's better than commuting the other way, but that's not really saying much. I would plan on 45-60 minutes. I commuted from Del Mar Heights to College Area and that was 30-40 minutes most days - don't see how you are going to be able to do another 20 miles in much less than that.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Yeah... scratch that.

I was informed of the rate of pay they'd be willing to offer me this afternoon... and lets just say I'd be making LESS with this job due to the gas I'd be spending to drive (or the Coaster fare). No thanks.

Thanks for the replies, however. =)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,788,912 times
Bummer! Now we'll never be able to settle the burning question of just how much that commute would suck!!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:40 AM

2,955 posts, read 9,741,702 times
Commutes are relative right ? If you were coming from LA, the commute to Carlsbad would seem trivial, but if you were commuting from Mission Valley to say Hotel Circle for the past 5 years, it would be a monster.

I say go for it and see how things work out. As far as where to live long term....For me, most of the employment and customers in my industry are north of Claremont Mesa, so I would only live in North County inland and coastal. If you feel most of the work in your field is centered near mid city and downtown, then I would stay put in Mission Valley.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 AM

1,996 posts, read 1,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Commutes are relative right ? If you were coming from LA, the commute to Carlsbad would seem trivial, but if you were commuting from Mission Valley to say Hotel Circle for the past 5 years, it would be a monster.

I say go for it and see how things work out. As far as where to live long term....For me, most of the employment and customers in my industry are north of Claremont Mesa, so I would only live in North County inland and coastal. If you feel most of the work in your field is centered near mid city and downtown, then I would stay put in Mission Valley.
See above, she already decided against the job

Old 10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
See above, she already decided against the job
Yeah, it's a definite no-go. And not because of the commute, just the job itself once I found out the actual duties plus the pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego