Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,326 times

Advertisements

So, I am from Northern California and have lived here all my life. I am by most accounts what could be considered a "farm boy" but have been a practicing musician all my life. I am 26 right now and my plan is to move to San Diego in pursuit of a music career.

I know it sounds lofty, but I have decided this six months ago. My thoughts are to become employed obviously however I can, and I have a degree in journalism. I have been working as a 911 dispatcher for the past 6 years so I think a job will be relatively obtainable.

I will be basically leaving with just my drums and little else but a bed.

Though I have many aspects of the move and logistics planned out. I still have some questions and this thready is mainly just to elicit feedback.

My plan is to forgo the beach lifestyle and move a little inland possibly to the areas of Grossmont, National City, and Clairemont areas. I chose these areas because the college communities are abundant (something I'm used to) and rent is a little more reasonable. I plan to live by myself because I never have, and roommates are something I can do without even if it costs a little more.

I want to get a job close to where I work obviously, but I have a motorcycle which I will eventually find a way to bring down if not right from the get go. This should help with commutes because they will inevitably arise.

So I guess the parts that are up in the air, are what type of hospital / health care environment these areas provide, and also I guess more importantly, what types of opportunities for music these areas provide.

Again, I am moving to become more involved with the arts. I am borderline professional, what I am looking for in San Diego is to make the "pro" part a reality. Becoming a pro to me simply means getting in a gigging band and making half if not all of my income from this.

Feedback from musicians would be particularly helpful but I welcome any thoughts on these areas or problems you think I may encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
If your goal is to pursue a music career, moving to San Diego would be one of the poorest decisions you could possibly make. It would be essentially the same as moving to Des Moines or Jacksonville. Professional musicians move to Los Angeles, or New York. Honestly I cannot fathom why so many outside of California think that San Diego is a place to move to make a living in the creative fields. Maybe it's the same reason that so many people in San Diego think that Rhode Island and Long Island are the same place. If you are serious about becoming a professional musician, move to LA where the largest concentration of professional musicians, the music industry, and the entire entertainment industry is located. San Diego is a town where people go out to listen to reggae cover bands and DJ's.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-30-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If your goal is to pursue a music career, moving to San Diego would be one of the poorest decisions you could possibly make. It would be essentially the same as moving to Des Moines or Jacksonville. Professional musicians move to Los Angeles, or New York. Honestly I cannot fathom why so many outside of California think that San Diego is a place to move to make a living in the creative fields. Maybe it's the same reason that so many people in San Diego think that Rhode Island and Long Island are the same place. If you are serious about becoming a professional musician, move to LA where the largest concentration of professional musicians, the music industry, and the entire entertainment industry is located. San Diego is a town where people go out to listen to reggae cover bands and DJ's.
I agree up to a point. I think it depends on the type of music. If Punk Music is your thing, SD isn't really a bad place at all as that scene is quite big here with many local bands many of whom perform locally. Hip-Hop,R&B, or Dance are out of the question, especially dance, even pop oriented dance (which unfortunately is what I do here in SD).

As sass said, LA is a really good bet. The Bay Area is too for most styles and New York is perhaps best.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM

Go out to a rock or punk club on a weeknight and San Diego and you will have the place to yourself. Go on in LA and it's packed. Many nationally touring club acts don't even stop here. It's a wasteland, sorry. It was better 10 years ago.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Go out to a rock or punk club on a weeknight and San Diego and you will have the place to yourself. Go on in LA and it's packed. Many nationally touring club acts don't even stop here. It's a wasteland, sorry. It was better 10 years ago.
I'll take your word for it as those aren't my genres. I just know that a lot of people are into those scenes here. I know from friends that SOMA isn't what it used to be.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Since you said you wanted a music "career" then I would have to agree with Sass, go to L.A. or NYC otherwise if you're an indie type, which is a term that's becoming more pop these days, then I would say go for it. I know a few musicians who did stop by SD, not advertised, more low key settings, intimate bar types, so still not exactly "career" oriented, I'd guess.

Modest Mouse is one of my favorite bands before their last album, formed in Issaquah, Washington. Most of the music that I listen to are formed or from smaller cities, towns even.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:11 PM

yes if you just want to be in a band and work a regular job, then San Diego is fine. If you want to make a living playing music (not necessarily in a band) then San Diego is not going to cut it. At least in LA you can play for film scores, session musician, touring acts if you are good at what you do.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
yes if you just want to be in a band and work a regular job, then San Diego is fine. If you want to make a living playing music (not necessarily in a band) then San Diego is not going to cut it. At least in LA you can play for film scores, session musician, touring acts if you are good at what you do.
That's all true. LA is great for that as well as the Bay Area. The number of musical acts from those two areas are proof of that. I do have lots of friends in bands who work regular jobs.

I never quite understood why performing arts were never really big here

Old 10-31-2010, 01:42 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That's all true. LA is great for that as well as the Bay Area. The number of musical acts from those two areas are proof of that. I do have lots of friends in bands who work regular jobs.

I never quite understood why performing arts were never really big here
Seems strange, doesn't it? I don't know, SD for me always has this very lax vibe to it, which seems to attribute to the lack of arts aside from the usual beach-city/town-kitschy stuff. The city never comes to my mind on the grand scale of things.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Seems strange, doesn't it? I don't know, SD for me always has this very lax vibe to it, which seems to attribute to the lack of arts aside from the usual beach-city/town-kitschy stuff. The city never comes to my mind on the grand scale of things.
Who knows maybe that will change...maybe. In the last decade and a half or so, San Diego has really developed in a more urban way. There's a certain vibe to parts of SD now that didn't exist before. The rest of the county is still quite provincial but the city isn't so much anymore. Remember, SD did briefly come into the music scene in the 90's when alternative music was popular. It was really the only other city at that time that was able to compete with Seattle. Remember Stone Temple Pilots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego