Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,733,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Most people's perception of what is and isn't San Diego ends 5 miles from the beach, so that's why you get all this nonsense about how we're the "fittest" city... sure, as long as you exclude 90% of the working class population of this county (which is a huge percentage of the population).
And the same rule applies to LA regarding how fake and plastic it is. I'm always amazed at how so many people seem to think that all of LA is like that. Santa Monica and the Westside might fit the bill, but the vast majority of the metro area doesn't by a longshot. Where are all those blondes that people talk about when they mention LA? Don't people know that Metro LA is only about 30% Anglo these days?

The Orange County stereotype kills me, too. If people want to see the real housewives of Orange County looks like, instead of having all blondes on the that reality TV show, they need to include 2 Latinas and one Asian.

Obviously, reality and perception are two different things.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 11-15-2010 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
Lakeside and El Cajon are like the only areas where the number of obese is out of whack in the county. Everywhere else seems fine in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,987,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Lakeside and El Cajon are like the only areas where the number of obese is out of whack in the county. Everywhere else seems fine in my opinion.
Agreed. People can't compare San Diegans' image based on Lakeside or EC. That's like saying everyone in San Francisco is homosexual.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Agreed. People can't compare San Diegans' image based on Lakeside or EC. That's like saying everyone in San Francisco is homosexual.
Yeah it was annoying me how people in this thread said 90% of the county. That is just not true. I go to SDSU and let me tell you, I rarely see many obese people at all. These are people from all over the county too. I go all over the county a lot and there really isn't many obese people at all except for EC and Lakeside like I said.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:18 PM

31 posts, read 66,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
yeah, take that with a grain of salt. Plus, I don't think you understand what this "report" is saying. San Diego is 24 out of the most fattest. not first. its at the bottom of the top 25 fattest cities.

the obesity rate is actually much lower here than most of the country. not really sure where you come from? Plus your opinion could just be a result of bias, selective attention, pure chance, or any other self-reporting statistical error. This report is wack and what's worse is you dont even know what its saying.
While San Diego is fitter than the average US city (due to sun, sand, and the trickle-down effect of not-too-far-away- Hollywood) it is STILL part of the USA. Thus, I'd be willing to bet that while San Diego may be RELATIVELY fit, I'd say the average weight in SD is a good bit higher than in Paris, Tokyo, Barcelona, etc...

Old 03-13-2011, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,511 times
I grew up in San Diego. I didn't leave until I was 22. I moved because the cost of living got to high. In all my years in ****, I have only mild discrimination, in regards to my weight. I was big all my life. Of course, in school, I was horribly teased. Up until highschool, where my curves made my thick body attractive and acceptable. But after I had my son, I blew up to over 300 lbs. I had no issues walking, no one said anything mean to me. I was just another person, among man. Just another face in the crowd. I always had a job. No one really treated me bad. Except for the random comment from children on the trolley, or something. But nothing really bad. I walked around Sea World, went to the Boardwalk, rode the Tilt a Whirl in Belmonte Park. I even went to the beach, frequently. Because I am from Imperial Beach. I would not say that the discrimination in **** is any worse than any place else. Matter of fact, I might even venture to say it is less. I live in Atlanta, but am getting ready to move back to Cali, Lord willing, soon. Atlanta, there are tons of fat people. They are everywhere. The lack of good weather is seriously crippling this state. The summers are too hot to enjoy outdoors, except in a pool, in the shade. The winters are long and cold. The spring is filled with pollen and so anyone with allergies will suffer terribly. So, needless to say, there are a bunch of seriously obese people. I am small compared to what I have seen out here. And yet, with all these fat people, you'd think I would feel right at home, right? No. People get an attitude if you park too close to them. Because they can't get in their cars, they are so fat. Then they will tell you how fat you are. And people openly gawk, mouths open and everything. As if they have never seen a fat person before. It is terrible. So, I would not say that a fat person is gonna experience anymore discrimination in Cali than they will anywhere else. I am looking forward to taking my big butt back out to Cali so I can enjoy the weather and get active again. And I know that my fellow San Diegans are going to help me. Some may laugh, but there are a lot of nice people in Cali. People that actually care. I might even make some friends and form a walking group. Who knows. But I do know that Cali is a great place to live, and there are nice, kind, and caring people there. It really is a big community. No matter what your size is. You'll fit in.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:16 PM

177 posts, read 398,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
San Diego is usually number one or two most fit cities in the nation. Usually fighting it out with San Francisco.

To answer your question, no one here is going to make fun of you for your weight or anything else for that matter.
What are you talking about? San Diego isn't even in the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even in the top 25. Look it up. America's Fittest Cities - Forbes.com

Old 03-13-2011, 05:46 PM

189 posts, read 966,608 times
I've lived in San Diego for 30 years and I don't really see any serious mis-treatment of obese people here. I've been a bit on the tall and overweight side before and kids were cruel in jr. high and high school, for sure, but not so much as an adult. In fact, once I got out of high school, I rarely had any problems with people noticing my weight. I did eventually lose the weight, but that wasn't because I felt discriminated against.

But, I don't see a lot of issues come up with my obese friends and family other than their own issues with mobility and health.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,429 times
Dog,
See what you've done - why is this Thread back?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Dog,
See what you've done - why is this Thread back?
Yes, frankly, I prefer Dog's albino / mermaid / stutterers (did I just make that one up?) / nude dog beach etc... threads (and I know I'm forgetting something) - YES! the aliens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego